View Full Version : 14" Zenith b&w Portable- Plastic cabinet is Disintegrating

fsjonsey
07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I picked up a mid 60's zenith b&w portable at the thrift store today. With "$5- as is" on the price tag I was expecting a dead set. Got it home, plugged it in, and of course it worked like new. It's a Zenith after all! It's a hot chassis set, has a continuous UHF tuner, and only has one transistor, in the UHF tuner. The set has one major problem however. The white plastic cabinet back is literally disintegrating. I can make deep gouges in the plastic with my fingernail, leaving a powdery residue behind. Removing and reinstalling the back to take a look at the filter caps caused the case screws to strip in their holes. I've never seen a plastic cabinet decay in this way before. Is this common problem with Zenith portables? I'll get some pictures and a model number up in the morning.

radiotvnut
07-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I've had many of these Zenith portables and I don't recall ever finding one with a disintegrating case. This set may have a million hours on it and the heat from the tubes may have done something to the plastic. The only sets that I remember seeing with falling apart cabinets were Sharp sets of the mid-to-late '90's.

OvenMaster
07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I've seen that sort of behavior on other plastic stuff that was kept in very hot attics for many years... but never on a television set.

Tom

Eric H
07-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Too bad it's not a 16" set, I'd give you a 64 Zenith with a great cabinet but a busted CRT, well it was great, don't know after a couple years in the Garage rafters.

AUdubon5425
07-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Maybe it spent its life in a window - I've seen plastic interior pieces on cars that have suffered the same symptoms you describe.

zenithfan1
07-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Me too, my truck has door panels like that. I also have one Zenith from about '65 that has the handle doing that. The CRT cracked on that one though.

Tony V
07-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I've seen this too but usually from something that has been stored in a hot attic for years.

fsjonsey
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
It's really too bad the cabinet is wrecked, because the set displays a really good picture and the chassis even has it's complete set of original Zenith branded tubes. The thrift shop I got it from does a lot of business clearing out estates as well, so I bet this set was stored in someones attic or shed for a long time.

fsjonsey
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Well I'm an idiot.
It's actually a 12" set, Model number 13N15. It uses a 12BEP4 CRT. I must have been tired last night when i started this thread.

bgadow
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Time for a custom cabinet! Wooden "mini-console" maybe; mask the crt so it looks like a porthole; Remove the phonograph from an old side-by-side radio combo and install it there. If the radio has a lift-up lid over the phono, all the better-make it a mirror-lid set. Or, how about a plexiglass cabinet?

kx250rider
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Sony had that problem in the 90s... I had several of them just crumble and fall out of my hands! You could take a piece of the plastic in your hand, and rub it to powder with your thumb. I have an '80s Sony KX-2501, which is starting to do that. I went to push it into a cubby hole on a shelf, and my hand pushed a hole in the back! It stinks like dirty football socks in a hamper on a humid summer day, so that probably means there's some kind of organic reaction going on in the plastic.

Charles

Carmine
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Maybe it spent its life in a window - I've seen plastic interior pieces on cars that have suffered the same symptoms you describe.

Agreed. White interior Dodge Challenger/Plymouth Barracuda door panels were known for this problem. For some reason, UV protection was not included in the white plastic mix.

Maybe you could pour some of that thick, clear urethane over the plastic. (The kind that is meant to encapsulate knick-knacks in a coffee table, etc.)

mhardy6647
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I think a custom Plexiglass cabinet would be a nice tribute to this little trouper's longevity.

;-)

fsjonsey
07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
The set has found a home on my screened in porch. I have one of those little UHF video senders upstairs that I'm using to retransmit Fox News from a digital cable box to the Zenith outside.

It's nice to have a set to watch when I'm enjoying a cigar in the evening.:thmbsp:

As to the cabinet suggestions, I'd love to build something like a wood or plexi cabinet in the future, but for the time being I may keep the set in it's current "patina." I guess it kinda serves as proof of what tough little sets these Zeniths can be. I may have access to a woodshop in the near future.

andy
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM

rcaman
07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
my boss sat down a 25" sharp in the floor and it literally fell apart. and he didnt drop it. from what i have heard sharp replaced some of those sets that were 7 to 8 years old. steve

compucat
07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
A lot of 1960s styrene cabinet tube radios do not survive today because of the tube heat making the plastic brittle.

How about some pictures of that set?

fsjonsey
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
A lot of 1960s styrene cabinet tube radios do not survive today because of the tube heat making the plastic brittle.

How about some pictures of that set?

I cant seem to find the charger for my Digital Camera battery. It's somewhere here among the clutter. I'll get pictures up tonight, or tomorrow at the latest.

Findm-Keepm
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
my boss sat down a 25" sharp in the floor and it literally fell apart. and he didnt drop it. from what i have heard sharp replaced some of those sets that were 7 to 8 years old. steve

My daily watcher at work is a 25" Sharp "BPC" that has a busted cabinet, epoxied together! It was my Dad's VCR bench set - great electronics, lousy cabinet, couldn't sell it, so it got relegated to VCR test bench use......and now I watch the news at lunch on it!

Cheers,