View Full Version : Width on RCA CTC-11 ?

Phil Nelson
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Today's dumb question. The verticals on my RCA CTC-11 now look OK by my low standards, but the width is a little too great. Notice the "ion" icon at lower right in the photo. It's more annoying with other program content, such as a news broadcast or sports. When looking at a crosshatch pattern, it's quite obvious that the width could be brought in.

I see no adjustment for width per se. The set has adjusters for horiz. linearity and centering, but there's nothing wrong with those. I have set the HV at 21.8 KV as shown in the schematic.

Ideas? Is this one of those things that magically changes when you adjust other parameters?

(Ignore the colors, brightness, etc. Neither set is perfect in this snapshot.)

Phil Nelson

ohohyodafarted
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Phikk,

I don't mean to sound condecending, BUT... you are talking about a roundie. The ION but in the corner is right where it should be on a roundie. Part of it should be missing because there are no square corners on a round tube, with which to display the portion of the picture that is in the corner of the scrreen.

That ist o say.... a roundie when properly set up will be missing the portion of the picture that normally appears in the corners of a rectangular tube.

I think your picture looks GREAT! I should only hope to get my sets looking that good.

Bob G.

Phil Nelson
07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Yah, I know the corners will be cut off. I think the width is a little too great even at the centers. Look at the cowboy's hat in this photo.

Thx for the compliment. This set is shaping up. If it didn't look as good as it does, I wouldn't be fussing about smaller issues. Plus, I'm waiting for a part to arrive in the mail and have nothing better to do :)

Phil

sampson159
07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
my ctc 15 has the same issue.if you adjust high voltage it will decrease the horizontal.however,it will increase vertical.i have mine set at 21.5 and looks great.as bob said,it is normal because it is a roundie.i have 5 of these sets and they all look that way.yours looks really bright and sharp.

Phil Nelson
07-06-2009, 03:27 PM
OK, I'll quit fussing then (at least about that).

Thx.

Phil

yagosaga
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Phil,

your roundie is absolutely OK. It is the "roundie effect".

Kind regards,
Eckhard

old_tv_nut
07-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Tube sets were generally designed to overscan so that there was room for shrinkage as parts age or tubes weaken. It was a definite attempt to keep from showing black edges when everything got to the other end of tolerances. Broadcasters complained about it for decades, but TV manufacturers knew that owners would not complain about 10% overscan, but would generate a service complaint for even a small underscan. You're looking at typical design, I think.

Phil Nelson
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
That makes sense, especially since older programs didn't have all of the corner logos and crawling text that we see today. Viewers would never know they were missing the far edges of a scene from Bonanza or The Twilight Zone, etc.

Phil

zenithfan1
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I like that they cut off the annoying crawling text and logos, one major plus of a roundie.:D Great looking 11 BTW!

jpdylon
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
completely normal to have a little overscan with the roundies.

Lookin good from here. Can't wait to see the finished product. :yes: