View Full Version : RCA G2000....how many are left?

Kamakiri
08-31-2004, 08:46 AM
Out of the production run of 2000, has anyone attempted to catalog these sets similar to what has been done with the CT-100?

Any clues as to how many survive?

rca2000
08-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Me and you each own one. I drove over 500 miles to get mine, you drove pretty far for yours, too. As for the surviving amounts, I figure 100, maybe at the most, 200 of them are left. it was not until 2002 I saw my first one for real(and then acquired mine). I also know Steve mcvoy has one, too, and then there was the one from ebay a while back that some of us tried to get, that the guy thought was solid gold or something, and got all insulted with our offers(Terry Wise, IIRC), and then started to send viruses and spams to all of our emails.

, so, that is 4, that I know of.

Sandy G
08-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Weren't they something like $2K back in '69 when they were made? That was a LOT of moolah for a TV in those days-IIRC, that would about buy a new Volkswagen Bug. So I doubt if all that many were made in the 1st place, much less survived. Other than the snazzy cabinet, did they offer anything you couldn't get on one of RCA's lesser models, for a LOT less money? -Sandy G.

andy
08-31-2004, 10:08 AM

rca2000
08-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Such as: TOTALLY solid-state construction(A Quadrupler for the hi-voltage, instead of a tube), a digitally controlled Electronic tuner(not available on ANY set at the time, Motorless remote with MOSFET memories(also not available anywhere else, Matrix tube.)

So, they were a VERY expensive tv. The advertisement was somethinmg along the lines of this:

RCA invites 2000 people with $2000.00 to take a leap into the next century.

Kamakiri
08-31-2004, 10:53 AM
But I wonder if 2000 were ever made :dunno:

Let's see if we can compare serial numbers. I'll get mine when I get home.

heathkit tv
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
IIRC these had a motorized UHF tuner so in that sense they weren't totally solid state.......but damn near it! I suppose that they may not have actually built all 2000, they may have stockpiled enough parts to do so but once the demand for them didn't materialize they may not have assembled all of them.

Obviously they would've made more parts than needed to build the 2000 sets for service/replacement, but if my theory is correct, then there should (at one time anyway) be more parts available than would've been the norm. Look at all the Predicta picture tubes that Philco supposedly tossed in the ocean.

Anthony
PS I wonder how Terry is doing these days, and if he's the one who keeps making inquires about me on that website. Interesting how the mailbox that I use here is always getting filled with subscriptions to various online lists etc and spam/viruses in general. Bring em on, ain't none of them gonna get thru!

Kamakiri
08-31-2004, 09:59 PM
Here's a pic of my G2000, resting comfortably in its new home :)

grumpy
08-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Lets see a pic of the other one you picked up.

At least those monsters make good stands for your stereo :p:

Kamakiri
08-31-2004, 10:04 PM
That's coming in another thread ;)

captainmoody
08-31-2004, 10:13 PM
Looks great in your basement Tim! I never really enjoyed it as it sat on top of my Magnavox star console wrapped in a moving blanket.
Nice sets like that need to be out in the open by themselves so they become the focal point of a room, My basement is more of a warehouse than anything and I am trying to remedy that with heavy duty shelves and less clutter.
The Philco roundie I bought this summer looked better by itself in the 60's style front room of the house I got it out of, If I had more room I would try to duplicate this to some extent.
But it just sits on top of my Heathkit for now...

bgadow
09-01-2004, 01:42 PM
What kind of performer is the G2000? Not sure if I've ever seen that discussed. One thing about it, it was state of the art. I picture this set in the homes of RCA/NBC execs, Hollywood big shots, actors, singers, big time RCA dealers. So I guess you could get some volume that way. Those are the kind of folks who would look at tube equipment as "old hat" in '69. Of course, the (mostly) solid state sets from RCA, Motorola, etc, were not junk either, so this thing would have to be pretty good!

The matrix tube-thats like Chromacolor, right? They beat Zenith to market with that? If so, I guess it wasn't by much?

rca2000
09-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Including the KING!! Story goes that Elvis owned THREE of them, over the years, and they were his favorite set(I think he shot one or two. I saw a picture of one on the net a few years ago, and it had his name on the nameplate).

Carmine
09-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Nice sets like that need to be out in the open by themselves so they become the focal point of a room,.....in the 60's style front room of the house I got it out of, If I had more room I would try to duplicate this to some extent.

You mean like this? Since I'm selling a 50s era house, I couldn't resist tossing this old Zenith into the rec-room area. Most people don't believe it works. I suppose my logic was "Perhaps they'll remeber they liked the house with the old TV."

BTW Kam, I swear my forearm is still a bit sore from that RCA2000. 'course my physical job and working-out don't exactly speed recovery. :D

wiseguy
09-01-2004, 04:09 PM
i wish you guys would grow up..(heathkit tv and rca 2000)
i have no g2000,heathkit tv sent me viruses and i have nothing to do with any spam or viruses with you rca2000,this whole thing is pissin me off,I am a helpfull person,i donate parts and such free of charge to others..
this whole thing started when "heathkit" started bashing my friend online here about my friend trying to sell his g2000 on e-bay.. you continue to be insulting..i dont even know where this dude RCA2000 comes in here bringing up my name..please knock it off..i dont visit any of your websites you 2 have and dont want to..and i dont go to iirc website
I am asking tim to please respond and do something about this.. everytime i get on here to post a pic or to post something about a set... i still see heathkit and now this RCA2000 guy attacking me..

heathkit tv
09-01-2004, 08:23 PM
As I told Mr. WIse in a PM............I urge him to forward the letter with the virus that I supposedly sent him to Yahoo (my mail ISP) for them to investigate and to prove my innocence to him once and for all.

He cries about my pissing him off, you know pisses ME off? His falsely accusing me of something I haven't done. Keep it up pal and I'll see what if anything I can do to pursue you for libel and slander. IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

Someone else's computer sent you a virus and spoofed (forged) my addy. How many times and how many ways is this going to have to be drummed into your head until your understand and believe it. If my arms could reach, I'd love to pound some sense into you.

Anthony

rca2000
09-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I have already sent a PM of apology to Wiseguy. I DID NOT mean any ill intent when i posted about the G2000 in wisconson, I was just commenting on the fact that whoever owned it did in fact make fun of me and some others for not thinking it was worth more. And Someone did virus me, several times with the sbcglobal address. I was told that this was from the name I posted previously(I have agreed not to post it again). I did NOT realize that this name was in fact someone who is a regular poster here, I thought It was someone connected with the 2000, who just posted at that time, and then departed. I made a bad and mistake and I apologize to Wiseguy, Kam, and all others who I may have offended. I have never posted anything to purposefully offend anyone(though I did voice my opinion over the "Benny Hill" fiasco the other day), even when I have been offended by some others, accused of things I had not done,such as flirting with their girlfriends, and so on.