View Full Version : Great Idea to find old sets

newhallone
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I was thinking of putting up wanted cards on bulletin boards in senior centers. :thmbsp:

wa2ise
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
A few sample pictures of the sort of TV sets you're looking for may help. Least reduce BPC calls.

BOUXY
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Great idea but generally it's the seniors that are old,yes,but they generally have newer sets if they live in senior care homes or wherever.At least that's what I've found.Never seen any old sets but that doesn't mean there aren't any.Happy hunting from one who's been there................

AUdubon5425
07-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Anything is worth a try - you never know what they might have at home.

I have to agree with Bouxy about retirement homes tough. After Katrina I made several trips into my aunt's apartment in one of these, often having to walk through three buildings on numerous floors to access her apartment. The one thing I noticed (aside from the incredible thoroughness of the looting that was done in over 400 apartments) was that there were very few consoles, and all of the particle-board variety. In fact, those few consoles were the only TVs left. Even my aunt's 13" bargain store B&W set was gone.

newhallone
07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Around were I am most of the attendees of the senior centers are still living in their old houses. If they are in retirement homes/assisted living facilities they already have shed themselves of all that old junk.

Old1625
07-02-2009, 11:37 AM
In my experience the best shot for finding antique televisions is to look at rural areas, as it seems that most of the people that live in the country have more space, and tend to dispose of things a lot more seldom. OK, they may upgrade to a newer TV, but they hang onto the old one...may be of use someday.

Unfortunately a TV might end up on a porch, or in a barn or other outbuilding, and the moisture in some areas will make for more resto work if it has been there for any length of time.

As often as not you can find interesting sets at estate sales.

I've visited yard sales in both urban and rural areas, and find that the more interesting stuff is at the rural sale.

newhallone
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree cause that's were I am. But more show up on craigslist and ebay near bigger citys. More older sets, and early color sets near the bigger citys. The earliest I have come across around here has been early 50's. My 63 roundie Zenith came from a little old ladys estate sale. It was in her basement. A couple weeks ago a little old lady I know moved to a nassisted living facility. No really old sets but I did score a MINT 1966 Flexsteel couch and matching chair. And a cool pole lamp.

bgadow
07-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Not a bad idea, depending on your definition of a senior center. We have one in town, the upstairs at the town hall, someplace for folks to go during the day to meet friends, pass the time, etc. Then at the end of the day they go back home. (last time I was up there they actually had a console in there that was getting old enough for some of the folks here! A GE from maybe the late 70s, as I recall)

Main thing is you need to hit them over the head with just what it is you want. It seems almost impossible to come up with something that won't get you BPC calls. I have done full color flyers showing a roundie, specifying that they must be no newer than the early 70s, they must have knobs, etc...and still, they call offering BPC & particle board. Oh, well.

Phil Nelson
07-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Plenty of people go to activities, etc., at senior centers who live in their own homes. My mother in law is 87 and recently stopped volunteering at the local center.

She still lives at home and in her basement is a big 1950s Sparton TV. I have resisted taking it because [1] it's boring, [2] it would cost a fortune to ship from MN to WA, and [3] my brother in law confessed that he robbed a bunch of parts from it in high school when he became interested in electronics.

Phil Nelson

newhallone
07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior centers around here are basically a place for seniors to go play bingo, socialize, have events. Sometimes they have social workers on staff to help them with whatever they need help with. A couple I know of have their city meetings held there.