View Full Version : What is this TV (Zenith)?

radiotvnut
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Spotted this on CL. Can't tell if it's a Zenith or not. I'd like to have it; but, it's a little too far away. My mother would shoot me if I asked her to take me on a 5 hour round trip to pick up a TV;so, someone please save it.

http://jackson.craigslist.org/zip/1234601413.html

andy
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM

zenith2134
06-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I like the front control panel. Very retro; in a good way. :thmbsp:

radiotvnut
06-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Whatever it is, it looks like a remote set. They've also got a lower end Zenith console record player for $20. It looks to be an early SS unit or one of the last "hot" chassis tube jobs. http://jackson.craigslist.org/fuo/1234597886.html

drh4683
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Its not a zenith, but whatever it is, its quite interesting. I'd bet also that its a remote set. That must be saved!

zenithfan1
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Did anyone ask the seller what brand it is? That is one sharp looking set! I'll throw in my two cents and say remote set too. It looks familiar like I saw it looking through a pile of sams, I don't recall seeing one like it "in the wild" though. It would be sad to see that one trashed, and the Danish modern is my favorite style.

radiotvnut
06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I just sent them a message asking for the brand and if they had any other older electronics besides the TV and stereo. If they have enough stuff, I might can manage a trip over there. Sometimes, I'm a little hesitant to ask questions as the item then becomes "valuable".

zenithfan1
06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I get you on that, if you're all excited they're liable to jack the price up. I hope you or someone with some sense can save it, be a shame for a "fish tanker" to get it.

Whirled One
06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Man, that control panel looks familiar... Hmm... Could it be a GE..?

zenithfan1
06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I've been staring at it for ten minutes and just can't place it. I'm pretty sure it's a 1967 going only by the design, whatever it is. It looks like the name is on the lower half of the bezel in the corner but I'll be damned if I can read that.

67Zenith
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice Danish Modern design. It does look like about 1967-69. Not a Zenith. I looked in my 1967,68 and 69 Zenith and RCA Victor binders, I don't see anything with those two elongated, metalized control panels - my guess is that maybe it is a Magnavox or even a Sears? I like it and I agree - save it - don't let it become a fish tank or go to the crusher. Keep it as original as possible.

Tony V
06-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Its not a Zenith as Doug stated but Zenith did use this cabinet in several of their models as i have one. I want to say it may be a GE or GE built (example Bradford) remote set.
-Tony

radiotvnut
06-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Have not heard from them yet. I'll try not to worry until sometime tomorrow. I can't tell you how many CL ad's I've replied to and didn't hear a word from the seller.

It would be something if this set is a GE. Tube type GE color sets almost never show up since they didn't stand the test of time as well as some of the other brands. Even back 15-20 years ago, I found very few GE tube type color sets (except for portacolors).

kx250rider
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it might be a Heathkit...

Charles

45rpm
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Judging by the length of the name badge, I'd guess a Magnavox.

AUdubon5425
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
That's a 4-5 hour round trip for me, and would be difficult to make right now. It is a nice looking set; the legs remind me of a '65 GE console stereo I once had.

radiotvnut
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM
And still no word from them!

bgadow
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
As I mentioned on ARF, I'm going with GE. In the early 90s I brought one home from the auction dump that had a very similiar control panel. I only kept that set for a very short while (stupid!) so I don't recall much about it. The set we had when I was a kid-the first I ever watched-was along these lines, but with open knobs at top. Same metal grillework at the bottom though. Something like a KE chassis. Not very reliable, but neat sets.

But, it could be any number of oddballs.

WISCOJIM
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
And still no word from them!

I don't mean to sound like a smartass, but what's wrong with your phone?

They gave a phone number in the listing, and I get long distance phone service for less than 4 cents per minute.

kx250rider
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Judging by the length of the name badge, I'd guess a Magnavox.

Or many Heathkits were badged Bell & Howell, and a few other tech school names.

I just can't figure it out, but with all due respect, I can't see a Magnavox connection. Magnavox always had a unique front bezel, clearly to me different from this set.

Anyone considered it might be Canadian (Electrohome, Phillips, et al)?

Charles

radiotvnut
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't mean to be a smartass either; but, I'm not running up a long distance phone bill for something that will probably not work out. I've done that too many times and the only thing it got me was a long distance charge on my phone bill. It's really bad when you get someone that wants to talk for 30 minutes. If they want to sell/give away their stuff that bad, they should pay close attention to their email. I check my email several times a day, especially when I have something for sale or am expecting to hear from someone.

Findm-Keepm
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Looks like a Penny's (Penncrest) set from the early 70's. This is solely based on having worked on one for a buddy of mine - 5GH8's in a series string...ugh. The bottom panel flops out (like some RCAs) and the top panel opens on hinges to reveal the tuners and master on-off/volume. His was a remote set - remote amp (transistorized) was to the left of the chassis under the tuner.

RCA made some early modular XL-100's with a similar cabinet (CTC4X and CTC5X chassis sets), but his one aint an RCA.

'tis only a guess...

Cheers,

Tony V
06-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Penncrest were usually rebranded GE sets.
-Tony

drh4683
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
so who got it? I got a reply from them this morning, they said "sorry, someone already took it". They still never told me what make it was. Wonder what kind of cabinet it will be made into as I'm sure the TV will get gutted out. Darn it, that was a neat set. Too bad nobody here was able to save it.

radiotvnut
06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
It wasn't I! Unless there's some TV collectors in these parts that I'm unaware of, this set probably got turned into something that it would be best if we not found out about. People around here love to do such things to old TV's. If someone on here got it, please speak up so we can all rest easier knowing that it's safe!

zenithfan1
06-24-2009, 08:21 PM
It was ME!!!! It's a GE!! Works PERFECT!!

Not really, just kidding.:thmbsp: I'm sure cats will be shitting in it by tomorrow.

Whirled One
06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I remembered where I'd seen something like that before. Here ya go. It's a GE. This scan is from the December 1968 issue of _Consumer Bulletin_ (a.k.a. Consumer's Research Bulletin).

AUdubon5425
06-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Don't feel bad - I responded to a 2-week old ad on the Atlanta CL when I was up there for an early 70's Zenith, looked like a CCII. Seller told me they tried selling and even giving it away for six weeks and finally put it out for the garbage a few days before I called. We all agreed it was a waste and a shame but they were older people who were moving so what could they do? At least they tried.

Of course, I've seen people buy these sets claiming they're gonna make aquariums out of them, but have never seen one converted like that in person.

radiotvnut
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I did finally hear from them and they confirmed that the TV was gone. They did mention that they had a '77 Zenith console and the little Zenith console stereo from around '62. The stereo looks like a low end model and '77 is a little too new for me to be making long trips; so, I guess I'll pass.

67Zenith
06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I remembered where I'd seen something like that before. Here ya go. It's a GE. This scan is from the December 1968 issue of _Consumer Bulletin_ (a.k.a. Consumer's Research Bulletin).

Oh boy, so it turned out to be a 1968 GE. I hope it's in good hands.