View Full Version : Majestic 1600

jeyurkon
06-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, I finally drove the 90 miles to look at the Majestic 1600. I don't need any more sets and I don't know why I bought it, but here it is. The sellers seemed to be happy. It's been in an attic for many years.

It has a 16KP4 in it. I haven't tested it yet. The base is loose. I understand that they're kind of hard to find now. The tube chart shows a "16 P4" and someone pencilled in the K. There is a hole in the back cover for the CRT cup. But one was never installed and it doesn't need one since the CRT doesn't extend beyond the back.

The flyback looks a little questionable. Looks like a mouse took a taste of the insulation. The insulating cup on the ultor connector is disintegrating and the HV wire is hard and breaking up also.

I believe the chassis number is 101. Guess I need to find a photofact for it.

John

Old1625
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Gotta love those "space age" portables with the two pix-IF stages! :D

Yeah, right!

J/K! :D

Looks like quite a project.

I remember a gigantic Crosley I found with several pix-IF stages which would dim the street lights up town when I turned it on...It had AGC keying, and all the other applesauce.... :yes:

Old1625
06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Additional note: Don't despair over a loose socket cap on the CRT! It can be fixed. You might be wasting your time, but you never know.

I've been there and done that in the dim and dark past, and have salvaged a few dead CRTs by pulling the caps and resoldering and rethreading the leads....

Dan Starnes
06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Those are neat sets,, and I know all about not needing anymore.

7"estatdef
06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
You are looking for Sam's 127-7 circa 1951. Nice looking set !
Terry

mattdavala
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I've got a 21 inch Majestic from 55. The chassis looks quite similar! Good performer, even with origional caps. I recapped it for safety though.

Good set!
Matt Davala

Tube TV
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Looks like a nice score .

jeyurkon
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
When I downloaded the photofact I got all excited because they showed an optional circuit for connecting a color adapter! But, I can't find a connector or switch that would be present. I guess it must be for a different version of the chassis.

I could add it, but it wouldn't be historically correct. I wonder which model actually had it. It would be fun to build a col-r-tel.

It shows the set using either a 16KP4 or a 16TP4, so I guess it has the original CRT. Other versions of the chassis used a 16GP4B.

It appears that someone has re-soldered the CRT base. It needs to be glued back on, or at least handled with great care.

I tested the CRT with a B&K 465. It appeared to be dead, but eventually woke up to about 340 uA emission and a life of 5 seconds. The G1 cutoff is slightly out of range, but not bad. It looks like it's not strong, but probably usable. Any opinions out there about the emission I measured?

There is a switch and an input for a turntable. I wonder if it had a matching turntable and what it looked like?

John

Steve K
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
John:

The color connection was on the later chassis. There was a color conversion kit available for your chassis which had a swith to change over to color. According to Riders, Majestic had a "slave" color set. I'm not sure if any were ever built. You mentioned the Col-R-Tel, actually your set would have been CBS color whereas the Col-R-Tel was a later NTSC convertor. I'm working on mine now and hope to have it working in a few days.

Steve