View Full Version : Ok CTC-5er's - More advice needed!

Ralph S
06-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your comments on the startup procedure for the CTC-5. Everything went just fine and I've got picture! But I really want to get the HV on the mark before heading in any other direction. Right now I'm getting between 18 and 19kv, but I'm only making it to 500 microamps in black! With other sets I'm used to 800 to 1000. The core of L106 (the Horz. tuning coil) is stuck and I don't want to force it. Any ideas on how to get it to free up and further, is it worth pursuing this?
The final complication at this point is how to pop fuse F104 out of its holder to measure the Horz. oscillator current. Frankly I've never seen a fuse holder like this one before. What's the trick?

zenithfan1
06-19-2009, 10:49 PM
A hair dryer will usually free up the coils but don't get it too hot of course. How sharp is the picture? HOT cathode current? Is the flyback hot? If all that is ok I'd leave it but that's just my opinion and I am not an expert. 19 Kv is about normal for the 5. I see an F104 in my 1955-66 RCA Field Service Guide, it is a push and twist to remove.