View Full Version : I love it when TV shops don't want to/don't know how to fix TV's

radiotvnut
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Picked up a '99 25" CTC185 XL100 mono jack-less TV from the repair shop. Plugged it in, dead as a hammer. I started checking for raw B+ at the filter cap and found nothing. I then checked the fuse and fusible resistor and they were good. Went back to the AC cord and one of it's conductors showed an open circuit. At first, I thought my DMM had took a dump. Checked the meter and saw it was working, soldered on another power cord and the set works perfect.

I suspect this was one of those deals where the customer brought the set in for repair and told the technician that he didn't want to spend over $40 on it. The technician took it in, kept it a few days, called up the owner, and told him it was going to cost $157.96 to repair. When the owner said "no", the shop never bothered to look at it. Or, maybe the technician overlooked the AC cord as "these rarely go bad".

I'm sure others have similar stories.

At the same time; I got an '05 27" JVC "D series" with a bad CRT and an old beat up 25" Magnavox that blew HOT's. I dumped the Magnavox but rejuvenated the tube in the JVC. It looks OK; but, I know it won't last. It uses one of those bonded yoke style Thomson/RCA tubes; so, finding a good tube shouldn't be a problem.

grimer
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
---

Hemingray
06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Had a similar thing back at my old home in FL. Picked up a beautiful looking 80s GE 19" that had some picture issues (half dark, half light). Swapped out some electrolytics and the picture snapped right back to life. Eventually passed it onto one of the neighborhood girls before moving to AR.

Findm-Keepm
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
In defense of TV repair shops (Dad was a TV Repairman, I spent 30 years helping out in his shop), sometimes shops come about sets that belong to deadbeat customers. Dad had one customer that brought in a nice Mitsubishi (PIP, the works), approved the estimate, but later didn't like the 90-something dollar repair bill. A day after we called to say it was ready, the guy brought in another set "to see if we could fix one he could afford to get out of the shop." Dad didn't touch it until the Mitsu was paid for and picked up.

Shops lately have become dumping grounds for those making the ATSC transition. They buy a new set, and don't want to hassle with getting rid of their old set, so they trump up a problem and have the shop worry about disposing of it.

Believe me, in these times, shops are hurting - they want to get every penny they are due, and I can't imagine a shop passing on an easy fix. But then, why sink time or money into a 10-year old mono set that wouldn't likely sell? Craigslist is full of them around here - they are under "Free"

Still, nice snag and save!

Cheers,

67Zenith
06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
LOL all true. I have only one free find in my collection, a 1968 RCA Victor portable, that I found in the basement trash of my old apartment building. It does not work well but the cosmetics are real nice. I've never put in the time on getting it restored - yet. I gave up asking TV repair shops for 60s and 70s sets - the responses I got the last few years were usually:

"Things of the past"
"Are you crazy?" followed by a lot of laughs
And finally, no answer at all, just a long nasty stare in my face

drh4683
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
most shops are a total joke today. They don't want to help you and most of the time, they tell you the set isn't worth the repair. I could never understand that. Do they want the job? Arn't they hurting for business? No wonder they're dissapearing. They don't want to work on anything!
I remember as a kid I'd call up shops asking for tubes. The old guys knew right away what you were working on just by saying the tube number. "I need a 6GJ7" and the tech was like "you must be working on a zenith color set". Then they'd tell you "no, we threw all the tubes away a few years ago, nobody uses those sets anymore, but I might have some at home". They'd take your number like they'd call you back but they never did. There were a couple shops that still had a huge load of tubes, but figured they were worth a fortune. Me spending $15.00 for a 6HA5 back in 1994 as an 11 year old was a huge chunk of change for me. (way before ebay and the internet proved to everyone that TV tubes were worthless for the most part).

I can't tell you how many nice projection sets I've picked up from friends, family and even neighbors who claimed "the tv man" said "the main board" was bad and that it was $500+ to fix. They said no to the TV guy, called me to ask if I want it for parts or fix and keep it. For some reason though, they'd call the TV shop instead of me, take his advice and then go buy a brand new set and keep the bad one for me to haul away to "fix". They always played me for a sucker, let Doug have it for free, (he won't fix it) and he'll move it out of here on his own and we won't need to touch it! win-win they'd think. The usual every time, the convergence IC would short out and the convergence would be all over. What, $5.00 for the IC, solder it in and reconverge which is simple on a projection set. You had a perfect set and it only took a couple hours and a couple dollars to fix it. They'd always ask "did you fix it". Yeah, it works nice and the part was only $4.99. They'd get sick because they just foolishly spent $2000 for a new TV they didnt need!

radiotvnut
06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
The last tube set that I got from a shop (same shop that I got the RCA from) was a 19" late '60's tube type GE B&W set, several months ago. Some lady brought it in and asked the shop to discard it. He knew I liked tube stuff; so, he saved it for me. Before that, the last tube set was a metal cabinet RCA CTC39 Mural TV that was on the discard pile at the local Zenith/RCA dealer. This was around '95.

I can't begin to tell you how many TVs that I've gotten from people who had already put them in the shop only to be told that they were unrepairable or would cost more than a new set. One was an '80's General Electric PC chassis console that was on someone's garbage pile. The owner told me that the shop said it needed a "horizontal board". What it actually needed was a new HOT, a horizontal centering pot, and an electrolytic cap. Another set was an older Symphonic TV/VCR combo that I bought for $2 at a yard sale. The owner was told that the board was burned beyond repair. The only thing burned was the horizontal yoke plug on the chassis. I hard-wired the yoke connections and the set worked fine.

At one time, this town was full of TV shops and most of them were the kind that didn't like to help people such as myself when I was a kid and trying to learn about TVs. There were a couple of older shops here that would help me and acted like they were glad to do so. There was another shop in a town about 30 miles away that would give me used parts and tubes if I needed them. And, I always made it a point to return the favor to the shops that helped me. Now, there's only two or three shops in town and I think only one of them still accepts CRT sets for repair. The rest are only interested in DLP, LCD, or Plasma.

Like was said earlier, it's very possible that my RCA could have belonged to a deadbeat customer and that's why the shop didn't mess with it. The guy that gives me these sets once told me that he didn't even open some of them because the customers didn't want to spend any money and he already had many TVs for sale.

Now, let's see if I can make a few $ off of the RCA so I can buy something with tubes in it.

dr.ido
06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
The usual every time, the convergence IC would short out and the convergence would be all over. What, $5.00 for the IC, solder it in and reconverge which is simple on a projection set. You had a perfect set and it only took a couple hours and a couple dollars to fix it. They'd always ask "did you fix it". Yeah, it works nice and the part was only $4.99. They'd get sick because they just foolishly spent $2000 for a new TV they didnt need!

I've given up on projection sets as I the last couple of times I've ended up with the fakes that either die on switch on or last a couple of weeks at best (seems the same whether I spend US$9.99 plus delivery from somewhere online or AU$30+ from a supposedly reputable local supplier).

Where are you getting good convergence ICs for $4.99? :) It's kind of a rhetorical question though. I'm aware of the supplier recommended here in the past (Tritronics?). Now that the AU$ has taken a shit it isn't really worth it now once shipping and currency conversion are taken into account.

It seems even some of the manufacturers gave up on them as one of the last RPTVs I had actually had discrete transistor convergence amps. That one lost all it's coolant over the chassis though.

AUdubon5425
06-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't even know where the nearest TV repair shop is anymore - they were slowly disappearing and then when Katrina hit it was pretty much "that's all, folks!" I know of two still open last time I passed through my old neighborhood, one of them used to perpetually have consoles sitting outside the front door, but they were mostly 80s-90s Zenith/RCA particle board sets.

There is a shop about 40 miles from me that has been listing stuff on CL over the last several months - I noticed an ad for Zenith modules; about a month ago it was about 500 TV tubes (not picture tubes) for something like $250. I have to go to that town next week and I may stop by just to check the place out.

kx250rider
06-19-2009, 09:20 AM
There are a handful of shops left in the Los Angeles area, but mainly in low-income hispanic neighborhoods. Of those, most I seem to think just take in a set, wait for another one with the same board in it, and swap parts to get a working set. Then either afford to charge the customer $25 for a few minutes of swapping parts, or sell the set from the sidewalk for $39. Only one of the "real" shops is still actually in business, and barely. Harvey's TV & Radio on Pico Blvd. That shop was established in 1936, and is on it's 3rd owner (present owner since '79). His business savings account is near zero, and he's barely still there. Very sad, as his shop IS a real repair shop with the ethic in mind to please the customer, and cause them to come back for life. He has many customers who are grand children of customers!

Charles

Celt
06-19-2009, 09:31 AM
We've been a throw-away society far too long. I'm in my 50's and have friends my age that'll throw away a perfectly good items rather than spend a few minutes and dollars fixing them. :no:

zenithfan1
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
We've been a throw-away society far too long. I'm in my 50's and have friends my age that'll throw away a perfectly good items rather than spend a few minutes and dollars fixing them. :no:

I agree, it frustrates me when people are like that. There are plenty like that around here. People are lazy too and that don't help either:no:

ablethevoice
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
After reading the responses here, you guys have restored some hope in me that there are some folks who still do have a decent set of ethics - and are willing to actually LOOK at an item and determine if, indeed, the device is truly dead or only "unconscious".

And yes, this damned "everything is disposable" mindset is a plague. Of course, modern manufacturing techniques support this habit. Anyone ever see a cellphone repair shop? Is it possible to resurrect/repair a PCs motherboard? Has anyone ever tried?

zenithfan1
06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
And the most frustrating part of it all, they say "We're going green, we're buying a new green product now". When all they needed to do was fix one small part on the old one (whatever it may be) instead of throwing it in a land fill.

Arkay
06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
After reading the responses here, you guys have restored some hope in me that there are some folks who still do have a decent set of ethics - and are willing to actually LOOK at an item and determine if, indeed, the device is truly dead or only "unconscious".

And yes, this damned "everything is disposable" mindset is a plague. Of course, modern manufacturing techniques support this habit. Anyone ever see a cellphone repair shop? Is it possible to resurrect/repair a PCs motherboard? Has anyone ever tried?

There is a whole row of little street-side shops on one street here, where the guys repair cellphones. :yes: I think --but I'm not sure-- they all used to work for the repair departments of big-brand dealers, but then decided to be entrepreneurial. Anyway, take them almost any brand or model, they'll tell you right away whether they can fix it and how long it will take. Usually, they can, and usually, it takes only a few hours if they have parts on hand, and a extra day or two if they don't. Prices are quite reasonable. They stay busy, too, which proves that not everyone insists on just throwing stuff away when it breaks, in order to get the latest and trendiest. Give them a reasonable option, and people would like to get things repaired!

I agree with you in general on the "disposable society" bit, though. And it isn't just televisions or audio. I just bought a new desk lamp the other day. I think it dates from the 1940s, give or take a decade. Cool Art Deco-like pen-rest base, and stylish top part. After decades of neglect, the gooseneck part needs some de-oxidizing and polishing, and the paint needed a touch of Meguire's paint cleaner (after which it gleams! :thmbsp:), but it works fine, and probably will for several more decades, at least. I doubt there is a lamp in the shops today that will have half so long a lifespan!

Personally, if something I own breaks, I always open it up and take a good look, to see if it can be repaired. That's just the way I grew up. Things made before the late 1980s - 1990s almost always CAN be. More recent junk, er, stuff usually cannot be.

I have a large clay pot and a smaller chinawear dish that have "repairs" in them. Years ago in Hong Kong, if your dish broke, you could take it to the China repair shop. They would drill little holes through the broken pieces and put wire staples through the holes, to hold the parts together. Then they would melt lead and pour it into the cracks between the pieces, to seal it up water-tight. (Think stained-glass windows, and you'll get the idea of the lead.) I keep these pieces as reminders of a lost age, when people valued things and kept them in use for as long as they could.

Perhaps this was, at least in part, because things were more expensive then in relation to peoples' incomes, and since labor costs were lower, so were the repair costs more affordable. But a lot of the change between then and now is just because of our emphasis on "make it cheaper". The Wal-Mart effect, if you will, that says to squeeze materials costs and production techniques to the cheapest possible level that you can still get people to buy at a price. Good in a sense, but very bad in other ways.

Give me the old, wasteful, heavy stuff that lasts for decades instead of months, ANY DAY! :yes: Heck, most of it is intrinsically or "retro-" stylish enough that it never really goes out of fashion, anyway!

dr.ido
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM

It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw away. Almost everything I own from computers, audio/video gear, cameras to appliances and furniture is stuff that was thrown away. Much of it needing minor if any repairs.

Up to a certain point PC motherboards and related parts can be repaired. It is just that most people - PC technicians included either assume that they can't or are unwilling to do so.

Among other things I sometimes repair PCs for people. Some of those that have waited around for something done on the spot have been down right shocked when rather than replace the motherboard because the capacitors have failed or they broke off a connector when they tripped over a cable I will repair it.

To me it just seems practical. Cheaper, quicker and easier than driving down to the shop to buy a replacement only to find that they no longer stock a compatible board and then having to replace even more parts. Though especially in the PC industry this is seen as wrong. I once applied for a job at one of those refurbished PCs places, but was told they didn't want someone who worked so "in depth".

In the past I've gone as far as changing the platters in a hard drives. This can't be done with any even remotely recent drives, but back when I was running MFM drives in XTs and ATs it was possible. Done on the kitchen table, no clean room or special equipment required, no bad sectors.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I will try to repair anything. If I fail I've lost nothing and have learned something.

rcaman
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
me i try to fix anything and everything that needs repair and fix most of them. we have been in the repair business going on 30 years and it is still doing ok. not many left anymore and customers are driving further to get to us. we have a great word of mouth advertizing. steve

Dr Tinear
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
There are still a few good repair shops out there. I found one in suburban Detroit when I was debating whether to repair a '94 27" Sanyo CRT set or replace it with a plasma set. The owner charged only $30 to prepare the estimate and applied that $30 against the repair bill when I told him to go ahead. The set had a number of deteriorated solder joints on the main board and a handful of electrolytic caps that were going bad. It works like new after the repair. Needless to say, I'm recommending this shop to anyone who asks and will send my future TV work (and perhaps some audio "tough dogs") his way as well.

AUdubon5425
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, in the spirit of service (although against my better judgement,) I'm cracking open a wonderful Yorx DVD/surround sound unit for an employee of a friend. It won't turn on anymore.

67Zenith
06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Arkay - I agree with you. Wal-Mart is a big offender, very true - and the world is getting crazier and crazier. Cars today still have grilles - but why - most of them are crappy bottom breathers since the 1990s and so the grille is now just an ornament (I'll gladly keep my 1968 Buick Electra 225 as long as I'm alive).

The most ridiculous recent thing that occured was in December 2007 when Congress decided to ban incandescent light bulbs by 2014 - that's right folks - the Edison 100 watt light bulb won't be for sale by 2012, then the 75 watt, then the 60 watt and in 2014 the 40 watt. It sounds crazy but it is true. GO GREEN (LOL) buy a $20. compact flourescent light bulb - those bulbs that cast horrible, "blue light" (and the cost is pure nonsense). Congressman John D. Dingell of Michigan says that the Dept. of Energy is sticking with the bill and it does not matter that CFL bulbs contain highly toxic mercury when they burn out in two to three years - they use less energy and Americans are just used to the warm glow of the Edison incandescent light bulb but they will have to adjust to the compact flourescent because that's going the green way. The green way my a**! I'll stock up on Edison's bulbs next year to last a lifetime.

Ok, I will now stop my Friday evening ranting and take the '68 Electra 225 out for a drive and then come home and read my mail by the light of a 100 watt incandescent light bulb, then turn on the 1969 RCA Victor portable strereo for a while and eat some ice cream (it won't be long before they ban ice cream because it has saturated fat and we Americans are just too fat LOL or maybe they'll just add a luxury tax to ice cream to discourage us from eating it!) and I might even be really bad tonight and smoke a Marlboro cigarette (they will also probably be banned by the government in the years to come). Gee whiz, where's the Beaver and Wally? Where's Oldsmobile? Where's Howard Johnson's? Where's the Bell System? Have a great weekend everyone!

Ghoulardi
06-19-2009, 11:12 PM
67Zenith, I'm with you on that 100%!

zenithfan1
06-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Me too man! Great stuff!

wilkes85
06-22-2009, 02:03 AM
And the most frustrating part of it all, they say "We're going green, we're buying a new green product now". When all they needed to do was fix one small part on the old one (whatever it may be) instead of throwing it in a land fill.

EXACTLY!!! That act right there is actually a lot worse for the enviroment, making them a bunch of hypocrates.

This whole green thing pisses me off. CFL bulbs especially. And the media is just full of CFL bulb propoganda. Sorry I like my lights to come on the second I flick the switch, give off good light, and not interfere with the radio.

The bastard government sent everyone here one of those things in the mail. I tried it out to see what the big deal was about. I ended up chucking it in the garbage.
Besides, they're full of mercury.

Break a real bulb... you cut yourself. No big deal.
Break a CFL bulb... mercury poisoning.