View Full Version : RCA box!

captainmoody
08-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Not the tv, Just the box! I am thinking B/W from around 1965-7?
Maybe someone has info on the model number. I found this tonight with an old christmas tree inside!

captainmoody
08-22-2004, 04:07 PM
another side

captainmoody
08-22-2004, 04:08 PM
We know what color it was also, Bet the tv is long gone! This is probably a case of the box lasting longer than the product...

glen65
08-22-2004, 06:47 PM
It's a portable from the 1967 line, I think it's b/w but not sure
I don't have my sams photo fact handy "897-2" to give
you any more detail than that.

captainmoody
08-22-2004, 08:23 PM
I will look and see if I have that one. Hey, Maybe it's listed in my 1967 RCA catalog. I should go back to the house and ask if they have the tv still!

kc8adu
08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
iirc color sets advertised in big bold letters they were color right on the box.
btw i found a box from a sony 5-303w that has all the manuals and unused viynl carry case.
also what appears to be a chamois from sansui.

captainmoody
08-23-2004, 12:07 PM
I only have the 1967 catalog for color sets. Does anyone out there have the B/W catalog? I am curious to see what it looked like. BTW, I drove back by the house and talked to the elderly gent that tossed the box and tree. As he was watering the lawn he told me a rather long story about the set being a christmas present back in the late sixties from his father in law. Seems this guy used to get into fights with his wife about what they wanted to watch so the in laws intervened and gave them the RCA! When I asked if it still existed he said he took it in for repair years ago and left it with the shop as it would cost too much to fix.

bgadow
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
First I had to get around to taking this picture, then I had to wait for the new server. The model # is a little hard to read but is B2003L. I haven't bothered to look this model up yet. I found this at an auction of an old, old radio/tv shop about 10 years ago. It was full of feather pillows! (I still sleep on one of 'em!)

heathkit tv
10-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Good gobbily goo, do you realize how friggin rare finding an original box must be? It's like locating a cereal box from decades ago....nearly no one ever held onto any of them so today they're rarer than a politician's conscience.

In the world of Lionel train collectors, having an original box nearly doubles the value of the item itself....it's gotten to the point that new reproduction boxes have been made (along with the potential for monkey bizzness)

Anthony