View Full Version : safety glass-yes?

sampson159
05-14-2009, 04:48 PM
i just got all the bugs out of the ctc 16xl from the etf this year.a few pesky issues.(the wiring that the last guy did gave me fits!)thanks to bryan for a sams to straighten this out.cabinet is next besides the cataract surgery.safety glass-yes or no?i have done a few and cant decide which way to go.any thoughts?

zenithfan1
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes on the glass, for everyones safety. Including the tv. Just use small strips of 3M automotive double face tape at the edge of the CRT, then carefully center the glass on it. Make sure the glass doesn't contact the center of the CRT as the stress of it being installed could cause it to crack. Then seal around the edge with good quality packing tape, preferably 3M. It will look almost identical to the original, minus the cataract. Small strips of tape work best, overlapping each one. It will bunch up if you try to just wrap the tape all the way around. The smoother the tape is on the edge of the glass face on the front, the better the install will be. It ensures the tube fits snugly against the bezel. Also, don't put any double face or regular tape more than a quarter of an inch inward from the edge as it will be seen after the tube is installed. Hope this helps Ron!

sampson159
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
that is a yes from mark.anyone else? i have done too many over the years and i like the look of the colorama without the safety glass.some are tinted and some are frosted which makes the tube look a little soft.i left it off my 15 combo.just getting opinions.

andy
05-14-2009, 07:28 PM
---

sampson159
05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
seen several implode! werent safety glass issues though.seen a safety glass go flying also.damned if you do and damned if you dont!

zenithfan1
05-14-2009, 08:07 PM
The thing I don't like about the tinted ones is the fact that you have to turn the brightness up a little more to compensate. If the tube is strong, the frosted glass will look fine, that is what is on my Zenith roundie combo and you can practically count the scan lines from across the room, no softness at all IMO. My avatar has no safety glass, I am putting one in that I have when I recap it.

bgadow
05-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, Ron, the times I've done them I was always very, very tempted to go without the glass...but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it. The clear, unfrosted glass (used on cheap sets) gives a crisper look, but I like the anti-glare of the frosted. Hey, I never was very decisive!