View Full Version : It came out of a store basement...

asynchronousman
08-13-2004, 04:06 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22099

I put this in the swap section last 27th and since then it's gone from being a GE to maybe a Stromberg Carlson from '48 or '49 with thanks to Steve Mc Voy of the Early Television Foundation. I don't have the skills at all to do ANYTHING to it but I coundn't let it go to the junkyard and I passed on a pretty nice (COMPLETE) 21" Airline and 21" Truetone (the one with the clock in it). It came free from an old photo-electronics shop downtown with the other relics I bought from it's 86 yo retiring owner. He sold to another longtime camera dealer in Boise and he ran his shop for 57 years!

Well to cut to the chase, it doesn't have a cabinet but it DOES have all the tubes, working or not INCLUDING the 12LP4A GE picture tube, two RCA inputs and one I know is Phono, power outlet and it's in fairly good shape meaning it was down there a long time and not torn up. Maybe his set but TV didn't come to our area until 1953 and he sold Motorola. I know he has great taste because I have his tubed Hoffman StereoFi too and next to my Sansui 5050 it's my pride and joy plus I saw the house he redesigned himself and lives in. A really neat guy.

DOES SOMEBODY WISH TO GET TOGETHER AND RESEARCH THIS SET AND TRY TO RESTORE IT FOR A POSSIBLE AK PROJECT? Maybe raffle it (but it would take more than a buck for something of this nature)? Seriously, please go and look and get back on it. I won't try for it, I simply don't have the room and my primary focus is vintage tube and 1960-1980's solid state radio sets.

Steven

asynchronousman
08-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Thank YOU Bill Morris from one of my newsgroups for this monumental tidbit!

THIS is my set!

Eric H
08-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Steven,

Very nice idea but I'm afraid without a cabinet it's pretty much hopeless, too bad too since SC sets aren't all that common.

The 12LP4 is a very useful tube if it's any good, I would be interested in it myself but I always fear shipping something that fragile.

Eric

asynchronousman
08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
but I haven't a clue where to test it. I'm going to the guy's house today. Perhaps I can get some detective work started but it's a longshot. A replica cabinet or generic tasteful one is probably a better idea. Restoring it electronically is a good idea and I just want it to work once more. I can't be lucky like the ones with Nationals and Motorola but I could have just gotten that Airline too. At least I have a good eye:)

Steven

Eric H
08-13-2004, 11:58 PM
If you just want to fix it for the fun of it that's cool!

If your handy with tools you could build a neat Plexiglass cabinet for it, that would make a neat display.

asynchronousman
08-14-2004, 03:48 AM
unless I can do it with a hammer and a Ginsu knife. I don't fix things nor do I have the tools/room/skill/money like you don't either.