View Full Version : Cool little Zenith

mrr1
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Picked up this 9" Zenith portable today at a local AV. Price was right at $3.98. It works perfect and not a scratch on it. Just the sunshade is missing.Keeper?

radiotvnut
04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Given that it works, I'd probably hang on to it. I just tossed a blue one that didn't work. It motorboated and sputtered like it was trying to fire up; but, that was it. And, the HOT would run hot. I kept kicking it around here, thinking I would repair it. I finally decided that I had enough projects and let it go. Mine was also missing the sunshade and was a little beat up.

I do remember them being on sale at the Zenith dealer. I think they came in many colors and some would run on AC or 12 VDC.

Celt
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
My brother has the Heathkit/Zenith version of it (in black). Yep, it was once available as a kit!

zenithfan1
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
And I second them coming in many colors, I'd keep it. It would be great in the kitchen or by the workbench. Nice sharp pic and great color on those.

MRX37
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I'd keep it. I have a Sony Trinitron about the same size, and it's come in handy a few times.

zenith2134
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Had the exact same set, bought at a thrift a year or so ago for a few dollars. Mine was an '88, also white.

I have it stashed in the garage somewhere. It did have a good picture but it was small and made in Mexico. Watch out that it's not infected with HN1. :nono:

Carmine
04-28-2009, 08:32 AM
In a month and a half, it will be banned. I'd get rid of it before the government takes it for digital re-education.

compucat
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
It was called the Delight Series and were around in the mid to late eighties. They came in many cabinet colors and were unusually good quality considering the era in which they were made. I would definitely keep it.

kx250rider
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I have one in white, also no sun shade... I don't remember seeing one with a sun shade, but I do know they made an AC-DC battery version of that set. I bet the sun shade was only on the AC-DC battery sets, and only the slots were present on the AC-only sets.

Charles

mr_fixer
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I have seen a few of those on feebay, the red ones were selling for $50-$100, but that was a while ago. It's cute little set!

zenith2134
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I paid about 4 bucks for mine. AC only, no sun shade. Didn't think to check for slots. Heck, maybe I'll get it out of storage later so I can use it a little before the DTV takeover.

mrr1
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
In a month and a half, it will be banned. I'd get rid of it before the government takes it for digital re-education.

They will have to pry all my analog stuff from my cold dead hands.

Whirled One
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
[Apologies for bringing back an old thread...]

I've always liked those 9" cube Zeniths. They're cute and they actually work pretty well. As has already been mentioned, there was an AC/DC version (which I think was only available with a black cabinet). There was also a Space Command version (with IR remote), which is a bit less common. I've only seen the Space Command version in the white/creme color cabinet. Zenith actually made these at least from 1987 to 1992 or so.

As I said, those things seem to work very well-- when they work. I've found a few of them with bad solder joints, which isn't surprising given how *hot* those things get after they've been powered on for a while! [These sets are very cramped inside and have minimal ventillation] If yours has trouble, try tapping the PC boards in search of flaky solder joints.

BTW, does anyone happen to have a schematic for these things? I'd love to add A/V input jacks to one of mine.

zenith2134
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes, mine had an intermittent flashing problem, and resoldering the hell out of the kine board fixed it. Great pic.