View Full Version : 2 Great Zenith's on eBay

jstout66
08-04-2004, 09:35 PM
really good working Chromacolors on eBay for one low price. If I was in the PA area I would get them in a second.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6111324227&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

tv beta guy
08-04-2004, 10:39 PM
I live about 20 miles from Pittsburgh, but I have no way of transporting the sets nor do I have the space right now.

I have a 1976 b/w portable 9" Zenith that looks similar to it's big console counterparts here, especially the pedestal part, except it's brown and grey. Those turn up a lot on eBay.

maxm
08-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by tv beta guy
[B
I have a 1976 b/w portable 9" Zenith that looks similar to it's big console counterparts here, especially the pedestal part, except it's brown and grey. Those turn up a lot on eBay. [/B]

Hey, I think I know just what you're talking about, I saw one in a resale store a while back, and thought it was really cool, but cost too much, and can't have any more TVs, since I don't really collect Solid State. Does it have a tinted filter over the screen?, then it is probably the same set...

heathkit tv
08-05-2004, 12:59 AM
I just love that style of Zenith! (yes, all my taste is in my mouth LOL) Those sets were soooo groovy at the time. Spacephone and Zoom, how kool can you get? I recall that there was a version called the Avanti....sure would love to get one of those to go along with my Avanti car, fridge, and condoms LOL

Anthony

tv beta guy
08-05-2004, 04:35 PM
maxm: Mine doesn't have the tinted screen.

One neat thing about this 9" Zenith though is it also runs on AC and 12VDC. I haven't tried DC part yet.

maxm
08-05-2004, 09:00 PM
OK, That's close to the set, but the one I saw had a tinted screen cover and a larger screen (I think 12"), I always see those little Zenith Solid State Portables in resale stores, all different colors, shapes and sizes, someday I should buy one.:D

Jeffhs
08-06-2004, 03:44 PM
When I saw the pic of that 1976 pedestal Zenith portable, it brought back memories. I had a 12" solid-state Zenith portable (model J121Y), with a detented UHF tuner (I bought the set in 1978 to replace a 19" Zenith b&w Space Command "300" TV I had trash-picked a year earlier). The new set had a black pedestal base and worked for me, with a beautiful picture on its monopole antenna (even in the near-fringe area I lived in at the time) and no chassis/CRT problems whatsoever, for the next 22 years. I should have kept it (the only real problem with it was that the detent mechanism for the UHF tuner broke in the early '80s), but I moved to a small apartment in late 1999 and had no room for the TV (I already have two color sets here). The little set went out for the trash. :(

I know, I probably should have donated the set to Goodwill, the Salvation Army or one of my neighbors in the apartment building where I live; however, I think the set may have a new owner after all, as I noticed a couple of days after I put the set out (before the regular trash pickup here), it was gone, so perhaps someone in my apartment building grabbed it. :dunno: If so, whomever has that set today now has a TV made to last, as this portable was made by the original Zenith Radio Corporation of Chicago, not Goldstar. I guess it must have been made extremely well, to have lasted over two decades with no chassis troubles and the original CRT, which was still very strong and bright.