View Full Version : Emerson DuMont

Ampico-kid
04-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Thought I'd share my latest acquisition with you all. I found it through our local Craig's List. Normally I wouldn't give a second look at something this new or this BIG, but the DuMont name tag sort of caught my eye so I decided to take a closer look at it. Even though DuMont was part of the Emerson company by this time, it's not real common to see a color set with the DuMont name tag.

The set was part of an estate that was being liquidated and the seller was anxious to sell it. I'm sure there weren't a lot of people banging on their door to buy this monster. Even though I knew it was an AM/FM/Phono TV combo, I was still kind of shocked at the size (and weight) when I saw it in person.

This was your typical "Grandmother" TV. That is to say it was impeccably cared for and virtually flawless to look at. I removed the back and did a check of the CRT and after a few slow lazy minutes it began to show signs of life. At about five minutes all three guns were riding high in the upper end of the "good" scale. It appears to be the original DuMont Emerson CRT, as do most of the tubes in the set. Looking at the date code on the tubes it must be a 1965 model and is called La Traviata. I guess using a classic opera as the model name lends a certain high class "air" to the unit.

I was kind of surprised to find a Garrard AT60 changer as the turntable. Although it wasn't the top of the Garrard line, it's certainly a better grade of changer than many of them being offered in the combos at that time, although it does not offer a magnetic cartridge, but opted instead for the standard ceramic.

The audio amp is a solid state unit and seems to be in good operating condition. The AM/FM Stereo unit is a hybrid using both tubes and transistors. It utilizes an eye tube as the tuning indicator. The radio seems to work quite well too.

The TV does work, but there are some issues with it. The image on the crt is a bit dim and blurry, and it has the beginnings of a cataract. I've got some work to do with the TV section.

I've attached some pictures of it. I don't think I'll be doing too much with it until next Winter at the earliest.
Bob

jpdylon
04-18-2009, 09:58 AM
WOW! Nice save! Don't see too many dumont or emerson color sets.

Sandy G
04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Kewl ! Excellent save...An' that 'un looks "pristine"...

Ralph S
04-18-2009, 12:35 PM
In 1965 or 66, when I was vacationing with my parents, I happily found that they had decided to join the color TV world. Given that the first black and white set they had was a DuMont, it was natural that they'd turn to DuMont for the color product. They didn't realize that the real DuMont company was out of business and that Emerson was making the product. No matter.... The set they bought was not the combo, but I'm willing to bet that it had the same TV chassis, etc. that your set has. It put out a really nice picture and they kept it for quite some time. Good luck with it!

Eric H
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
As big consoles go that is a nice one! It looks very elegant, I would have grabbed it too.

At first I was wondering how they put speakers in the sliding doors, then I realized those are cut outs so you can use it with the doors open.

Steve D.
04-18-2009, 02:39 PM
That is a beautiful combo. Emerson had a good marketing tool with the DuMont name on their high end sets. Many folks still associated the DuMont name with quality receivers. I recall seeing, in the 70's, a stack of DuMont sets in their shipping cartons with the "First with the Finest" DuMont slogan printed on the cartons. These were all large consoles. This was at a Federated electronics store in L.A.

-Steve D.

radio63
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Great find! I like these DuMonts and Emersons from the 1960's. I remember my cousin working on sets like this years ago at our old TV shop. Thought you might like to see these pictures from the original DuMont brochure.

Gilbert

zenith2134
04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Never saw one, nor have I ever heard of one. Cool save! :thmbsp:

Ampico-kid
04-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Great find! I like these DuMonts and Emersons from the 1960's. I remember my cousin working on sets like this years ago at our old TV shop. Thought you might like to see these pictures from the original DuMont brochure.

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert;
Thanks for posting the brochures...I really enjoyed seeing and reading them.

Bob.

zenithfan1
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow! That is an amazing find! They don't come along that nice everyday. The cabinet style is great too.

Robert Grant
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
A DuMont that is really an Emerson? or an RCA?
The channel indicator looks a lot like the one on the RCA models from about 1963 (CTC-14?)

bgadow
04-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I find the whole Emerson/DuMont story pretty interesting, and think this set is a neat one. I'm glad you could give it a home.

I had been wondering for awhile about the RCA "clones". For instance, would that chassis have been built by RCA or would it be a CTC-12/15 made under license? Something I read this winter points strongly to the latter. It was an article in one of the "trades" dated from around '74. RCA had just entered into the agreement to make sets for JCPenney. It was said that this was the first time RCA made sets for somebody else since, I think, '63. So I think it's safe to say that Emerson built this in their factory using the RCA blueprint.

Ampico-kid
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Bryan;

Very interesting information there about who actually built the DuMont set. Not having worked on an RCA more modern than a CTC9, I don't know if I'd recognize one of the later CTC chassis. How would I be able to tell who actually made it? Would there be a manufacturer's name stamped on the pc boards somewhere? Or maybe an ID code of some kind?

I haven't looked all that close at the innards yet.....

Thanks.
Bob.

marty59
04-19-2009, 04:44 PM
That's going to be a CTC-15 clone chassis...and no, it will not have any RCA markings on it..Clone chassis were used by so many manufacturers I would doubt they were made by RCA..but licensed by others to do so.
The Dumont clone may be a copper colored chassis...they used it in the early 25" models too. (model 55C01.."The Astrid") but added a seperate pincusion chassis/module.
There's also more of an Emerson inspired chassis that has a vertical-horizontal layout but I do not believe that one was used on the roundies.
Show us some more!!

marty59
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
As I'm thinking about this, by the knob layout and the CRT surround it may be earlier than I've originally thought...as early as a CTC-12? Could have been more of an RCA carry over design so as not to look too much the same.. Let us see!!

Ampico-kid
04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
As I'm thinking about this, by the knob layout and the CRT surround it may be earlier than I've originally thought...as early as a CTC-12? Could have been more of an RCA carry over design so as not to look too much the same.. Let us see!!
Hi;
I'll be glad to show you some additional interior chassis photos. I'll post them within the next day.

Thanks.
Bob

reeferman
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
ooooh my aching back:D

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Attached are some of the DuMont chassis pictures. The set is exactly as found, so there's some dust and dirt, but not much. I don't see any chassis number on the chassis, and the ID tag on the rear removable panel is missing, so I don't know what model chassis this is.....

I've also included a picture of the convergence board, the tag on the CRT, and the solid state amp section which looks pretty substantial compared to a lot of the amp units found in these combos.

What does it look like?

Bob.

newhallone
04-20-2009, 12:15 PM
What is the stamping on the third photo below the controls on the left?

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
What is the stamping on the third photo below the controls on the left?

Looks like 735-U.......

Ralph S
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
The convergence board parts numbers and positions sure match up to same from a RCA CTC-16.....

marty59
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow! That is a pretty clean chassis..a variant of the RCA CTC-15. Howard Sams number for this will be earlier than Photofact Set 823/dated July '66. This is the H.S. for the later 25" version. If you have a library that stocks them and an index book I would work backwards from here.
I'll take a look at my index book and give you some better ideas too.

marty59
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Here's a clue....Chassis number (if you can find one) will be a six digit number beginning with 120xxxx. Possible numbers 120699/1207xx and this would point to the direction of Howard Sams 724-3/3A. The "A" would be like a remote chassis. The radio chassis will be under another Howard Sams I would believe but 724 may be of some reference to that.

Other H.S. numbers may be 650-1, 598-2, 576-2....but these are getting quite a bit earlier but the chassis number would still be starting with 120xxx.

Even as a point of reference, an RCA CTC-15 is H.S. 673-2 so it shouldn't be earlier than that.

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's a clue....Chassis number (if you can find one) will be a six digit number beginning with 120xxxx. Possible numbers 120699/1207xx and this would point to the direction of Howard Sams 724-3/3A. The "A" would be like a remote chassis. The radio chassis will be under another Howard Sams I would believe but 724 may be of some reference to that.

Other H.S. numbers may be 650-1, 598-2, 576-2....but these are getting quite a bit earlier but the chassis number would still be starting with 120xxx.

Even as a point of reference, an RCA CTC-15 is H.S. 673-2 so it shouldn't be earlier than that.
I checked the chassis and found no useable numbers to ID it. Other than some part numbers...I see nothing that resembles the potential chassis number you mentioned starting with 120XXX. The code date on the factory original tubes is 1965.

I've included a scan of the tube layout...I don't know if that's specific enough to be of any help, but I thought I'd include it just in case.

Thanks.
Bob.

Steve D.
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
The tube chart kind of clinches it as an RCA CTC-15 or clone of same.

-Steve D.

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
The tube chart kind of clinches it as an RCA CTC-15 or clone of same.

-Steve D.

Thanks for that information Steve. I still need to determine a DuMont/Emerson model or chassis number to get the correct Sams for it. I'm guessing this combo known as the DUMONT LA TRAVIATA was a 1965 model and would therefore be in one of the Sams released that year. I don't have access to all of their Photofacts and the ones I do have are much earlier.

Just wondering if anyone might have the Sams for that year and could browse through them to see if this DuMont might be included? Or if you have the Sam's index to check for the DuMont models released in 1965.

Thanks.
Bob.

Steve D.
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Bob,

I checked my SAMS index, they list by chassis number (120XXX various numbers) I agree with poster marty59. Your set is in SAMS Photofact set 724, folder 3. Your photo shows a 735U stamped on the chassis back. SAMS shows a 120735A/735B among others in set 724. This may just indicate a different finish or model. Hopefully a fellow AK'er can provide the folder or you can Google SAMS Photofact and order one.

-Steve D.

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Bob,

I checked my SAMS index, they list by chassis number (120XXX various numbers) I agree with poster marty59. Your set is in SAMS Photofact set 724, folder 3. Your photo shows a 735U stamped on the chassis back. SAMS shows a 120735A/735B among others in set 724. This may just indicate a different finish or model. Hopefully a fellow AK'er can provide the folder or you can Google SAMS Photofact and order one.

-Steve D.

Thanks Steve (and marty59);

I'll order Sams 724. I appreciate everyone's input and help.

Bob.

bgadow
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
A very good chance I have that Sams available, if you haven't ordered it yet. Aside from the massive (but incomplete) set I have, a local TV repairman is bringing me several hundred a week from his stash. His are extremely complete from the low hundreds to wherever they were 5 years ago or so.

The 69/70 model DuMont I have uses the horizontal/vertical chassis, which seems to show up starting about '67 in rectangular sets. I know that the back of the convergence board has the name "Emerson" etched into it. Don't forget to look for EIA codes, though with a company like them I doubt they made much in house.

JohnAdams
04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Just curious as to who built the CRT? Does it still have the E.I.A. code on it?
I think I have the original brochure for the DuMont 21" sets but will have to did out of storage. Funny thing is I don't recall the "Emerson" being mentioned. Would early DuMonts not include the Emerson name??

Your cabinet looks like one I saw in the brochure. I was always partial toward Italian styling.

Tony V
04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I think I have the original brochure for the DuMont 21" sets but will have to did out of storage. Funny thing is I don't recall the "Emerson" being mentioned. Would early DuMonts not include the Emerson name??

Your cabinet looks like one I saw in the brochure. I was always partial toward Italian styling.

With the type cataract you have, i'm betting the crt was made by RCA. Most Zenith and Sylvania crt's would have a green halo instead of the mildew looking catarac's like RCA's are known to have.
-Tony

Ampico-kid
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM

Did you happen to notice that picture #7 a few posts back in this list shows the tag attached to the original CRT? It does have a code on it which I believe is 1 445. I don't know if this is the E.I.A. code? And if it is the code, I don't know how to interpret it?

If this isn't the correct code....I'll have another look at the tube for it.

Tony...I tend to agree with you....the cataracts look very much like the kind found in the RCA CRT's.

Bob.

JohnAdams
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
RCA would be "EIA 274".

I looked at several things I have around and they don't use the word "code", just "EIA 343" for Zenith. (but their CRT's were EIA 1101 for the (Rauland division), Zenith company.
CRT's, tubes, modules and some other parts usually had the EIA code on them.
In the 60's it seemed like a lot of parts were shared. Some receiving tubes in Zenith would have "Zenith" printed on them but the EIA 274 would tell you it was a RCA tube. I think it got to the point that there was no reason for 3 or 4 companies to build the same receiving tube, so one company would build all of 1 type and they would share. With the EIA code you could always tell who was responsible if a problem developed. One of my Zeniths has an original CRT that although labeled "Zenith" was built by Sylvania. I even saw a few new sets come with a crt built by Channel Master.

Just curious what went in the DuMont.

Here is a partial list of EIA codes someone posted.
Tubes and CRT's EIA code
Amperex (USA) 111
Bendix 125
DuMont 158
Eimac (Eitel-McCullough, Inc) 162
Electronic Tube Corp 169
General Electric Co (USA) 188
Hytron (CBS-Hytron) 210
Machlett 231
RCA (Radio Corp of America) 274
Raytheon 280
Superior Tube Co 310
Sylvania (Hygrade Sylvania Corp) 312
Tung-Sol 322
United Electronics 323
Western Electric 336
Westinghouse 337
Zenith Radio Corp (CRT's) 343 (Rauland division 1101)
Nortn American Philips Corp 423
Taylor (aka Cetron-Taylor) 713
Lewis & Kaufman 738
National Electronics (also Cetron) 749
Penta Laboratories 771
Vacuum Tube Products 781
Varian Associates 809
Litton Industries 879
Electrons, Inc 935

bgadow
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Sams would include a complete list of EIA codes periodically. Very handy to have. I don't think I've seen a full one online, which seems strange.

That is almost certainly an RCA tube. They were close to being the only volume producer of color crt's at that time. Later DuMont sets did use Sylvania sourced picture tubes.

John Folsom
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Here is a pretty good list of EIA codes:

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

Ampico-kid
04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
And the Winner is.....................Drum Roll......................................

EIA CODE 312 Sylvania (Hygrade Sylvania Corp).

Attached is a picture of the code number. I didn't see it the first time around as it was sitting almost directly under the tension spring across the bell of the crt.

Thanks for all of that information. I've learned something about EIA codes.

Bob.

ChuckA
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
If anyone going to the ETF convention is interested in a DuMont roundie, I'll have one in the auction:

http://myvintagetv.com/sell/dumont_brookville.jpg

Chuck

zenithfan1
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm plenty interested!

bgadow
04-24-2009, 11:53 AM
A handsome set-I'm sure it will sell. Is that CTC 10 or 11?

zenithfan1
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
A handsome set-I'm sure it will sell. Is that CTC 10 or 11?

To me! MUAHahahahahhahaMUAHhahahahahh!!!........unless the price goes too high.:)
BTW, is that the chassis for it sitting on the floor?

bgadow
04-24-2009, 09:13 PM
I think so...that's what they look like. Sits upright right behind the control panel.

ChuckA
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, that's the chassis beside the cabinet. I'm picking up the set tomorrow and I'll try to post a better picture when I get it home.

Chuck