View Full Version : Chicago see's its first analog kill off

drh4683
04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
---

MRX37
04-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Channel 20 went off the air here a couple months ago.

maxm
04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Trying to pick up channel 20 was one of the reasons I was happy to convert to DTV, I could never get good reception on the channel, no matter where I was in my house (with indoor antennas). I wonder where they broadcast from, I'm in the middle of Chicago, so I don't know what it was so bad.

wajobu
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
We just lost channel 13 WNET from New York (I'm in CT) within the last week. The analog antenna got it, but not the digital :no:

The irony is that we couldn't get CT PBS here in CT in analog, but now we can on digital with converter and coat-hanger antenna (made from the internet plans). CT PBS is a poor relative to the NYC PBS station (Channel 13 AKA "Thirteen"). Programming on CT PBS is a downer, and they're shilling for money every other week while they run bad re-run and Yanni concerts.

Not exactly what I would call progress.

CarlV
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
We already have had a couple stations go off analog but I have had my converters for a while now anyway. It ain't cheap for them to pay for both.

Last week all of a sudden I am getting the one station (http://www.krcb.org/) I had missed besides espn when I quit cable. Just out of range before, I could get it with severe snow at best.They also have a great second channel as well as a hi res radio channel now too. :)

Carl

radiotvnut
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
The only things we have left on analog are ABC and TBN (a low power translator religious station) and it's been that way since shortly after 2/17. I think the ABC affiliate is going to keep analog until 6/12. At this time, there is no digital channel for TBN. Those wishing to watch that channel will need a converter with analog pass thru.

cfranz
04-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Channel 20 went off the air here a couple months ago.

Na. Was watching the detective shows just this last weekend.

MRX37
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Na. Was watching the detective shows just this last weekend.

Are you in Detroit?

AUdubon5425
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
It's funny that WVUE-TV (Fox affiliate) shut off its analog transmissions in December, yet they are still running the death crawl after their 9pm local newscast. I really wonder if they own a piece of a local appliance store, or if their engineers or management just that stupid.

peverett
04-18-2009, 12:11 AM
It may be that WVUE know something that the average person does not. I have read that in Wilmington, North Carolina(a city that switched early) that many viewers that were getting analog reception could not get digital at all, even with new TVs/Antennas. The article indicates that the FCC is proposing distributed transmitters to fix the issue.

The link article is http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/11/fcc-oks-digital-workaround-for-dtv-signal-range-problems.ars

Below I list what I have believe all along:
1. Knowing the above reception issues and the issues with any digital TV signal in bad weather-killing all analog TV broadcasting is beyond stupid.

2. In spite of the claims about improved emergency service-the main ones who benefit from this are the spectrum buyers(Verizon and such), not the American public.

Now that the problems discussed in the linked article above have surfaced and DTVs performance in poor weather will be seen, maybe cooler heads will prevail and modify the law before June 12.

(I do not know if it makes any difference, but the law mandating the killing of analog TV was passed by Republicans (in the Senate it was 50/50 with Dick Cheney casting the deciding vote-2005), now the Democrats are the majority.)

ChrisW6ATV
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
We already have had a couple stations go off analog but I have had my converters for a while now anyway. It ain't cheap for them to pay for both.

Last week all of a sudden I am getting the one station I had missed besides espn when I quit cable. Just out of range before, I could get it with severe snow at best.They also have a great second channel as well as a hi res radio channel now too. :)

Carl
Good to hear, Carl. I will have to try tuning in KRCB again. I haven't watched analog TV since maybe early 2001 or so, and I get all of the San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose stations with rabbit ears here in Hayward, with a bit of antenna tweaking for a couple of them.

Celt
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
... or if their engineers or management are just that stupid.

Probably it. Saw the same thing with a couple of Memphis stations.