View Full Version : It's a Philco

wa2ise
07-31-2004, 08:16 PM
This set is branded "Philco". Made in Taiwan ROC. Seems the name "Philco" has been bounced around a few companies over the years after the real Philco folded. Philips had it for a while, as well as Kmart.

bgadow
07-31-2004, 11:39 PM
I've got a typical 12" tube model from the 60s, certainly during the Ford years, but just labled Philco. Its from Japan, IIRC, or might be Taiwan. But then I have a cheap little 9" from the early 70s that is Philco-Ford. From what I've read, it took awhile for old Henry Ford II to warm up to the idea of putting his name on imported goods.

I think it took a few years before Ford put its name on Philco's; GTE always seemed to put it's mark on the sets when they owned them; then NAP just labled them Philco. The nicest NAP Philco I've seen is a mid-80s console one of my in-laws owns. I know its just like a Magnavox or Sylvania but there is something about seeing that Philco name on the front.

Jeffhs
08-02-2004, 02:13 AM
My barber has a 20+-year-old, 17- or 19-inch Philco color set in his shop. He has had it repaired once in the 20 years I've been going there, but the set still works well today on cable (using a Panasonic cable box from some time in the late '70s or '80s). However, the set looks like a genuine Philco, with the name on the secondary control door below the UHF channel selector (detented, which would certainly date this set after 1975).

jstout66
08-02-2004, 10:57 AM
jeffs, That Philco is probably a rebranded GTE/Sylvania. My Uncle carried Philco as a secondary brand in the shop for the people who could not afford our main brand (Zenith) I know we carried & stocked them in 1980. I know it ticked off another dealer in town who stocked Sylvania "SuperSets" The Philco's were about 2 years behind in features found on the Sylvania's, but were priced well below as well.....

Jeffhs
08-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bgadow
The nicest NAP Philco I've seen is a mid-80s console one of my in-laws owns. I know its just like a Magnavox or Sylvania but there is something about seeing that Philco name on the front.

Your in-laws' Philco console may be, as you say, a rebranded set made by GTE Sylvania, but without seeing the set and not knowing much about what happened to Sylvania (or Philco, for that matter) by the '80s I cannot say much about it. However, I will say that, since you did say your in-laws' set is a "NAP Philco", NAP standing, of course, for North American Philips which now owns the Magnavox name, it could well be a rebranded Magnavox. Another post here by jstout66, in response to my post about a 19" Philco in my barber's shop, expressed similar sentiments--that that Philco might have been made by GTE-Sylvania. Who knows who makes TVs (or anything else, for that matter) anymore, in this day and age of offshoring and outsourcing? :dunno:

Even our phone calls to customer support centers may not be answered by operators in this country. I called SBC Internet Services yesterday for help with an email problem; the operator to whom I spoke had an unmistakable foreign accent, which leads me to believe SBC (and other telecommunications companies) may be outsourcing its customer service these days as well. Again, who knows who may answer our customer service calls? :dunno: The operator could be in Indiana, India or anywhere else in the world, again thanks to offshoring and outsourcing.