View Full Version : Trash find: 1980 Sears (Sanyo)

jedo1507r
04-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Sears 574.42161704, November 1980

Picked this up at a dumpster near a few businesses back on Friday and was caked in dust, though the heavy storms the day before prepped part of the set. I hosed off the caked on dust and the set works perfectly after it dried.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Sears%20Sanyo%20TV/011.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Sears%20Sanyo%20TV/005.jpg
The layout is really easy to work around in.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Sears%20Sanyo%20TV/007.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Sears%20Sanyo%20TV/008.jpg
Good touch tuning.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Sears%20Sanyo%20TV/014.jpg
The tube seems to have a lot of life left in it.

So, here's a fun question: when did consumer TV sets stop using metal cabinets?

compucat
04-06-2009, 11:16 AM
So, here's a fun question: when did consumer TV sets stop using metal cabinets?

The latest I recall seeing a metal cabinet set was in a 1986 Zenith catalog. It was for one of the plainer System 3 model 25" sets. An optional leg kit could be purchased making it a floor model. I always wanted one as I really like metal cabinets.

radiotvnut
04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
That's a good set. I used to find a bunch of them and most only needed the controls cleaned, connections resoldered, some new caps, etc. I don't think I've ever seen a bad CRT in one.

Bill R
04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
My in-laws had one of those sears sets. The picture tube was replaced under their service contract, but the tech broke the plastic purity, convergence magnet holder. Sears said it was a no longer available part, and replaced the set with a new 27 inch Sony. I got the old set and replaced the magnet holder with one from a junk set, and it still works fine.

Bill R

jedo1507r
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Compucat: I am sold on the metal cabinet, especially comparing to particle board or plastic cabinets. :D

For a nearly 30-year old set, I am very impressed with the tube's brightness. Controls are easy to clean, though were really stiff. It will replace the other trash-find Sony KV-2024AE for a while in the garage.

zenith2134
04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Back then, metal cabinets were kinda a sign of utilitarianism in a set, as opposed to real wood I guess. But I prefer metal cabs, expecially in the older sets, since they block EMF and X-rays better! :)

The controls always need a shot of DeOxit...hey after 25 years wouldn't you need a stiff martini or two?

EIA code of 312....dunno who made that CRT. _EDIT: Looked it up and it's Sylvania_ At first I was gonna say RCA, since my '85 Sanyo/Sears has the same looking label on the tube and was an RCA.

Good find indeed. Makes a great picture. It continues to make me scratch my head, about all the great technology that's just junked these days....

jedo1507r
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Back then, metal cabinets were kinda a sign of utilitarianism in a set, as opposed to real wood I guess. But I prefer metal cabs, expecially in the older sets, since they block EMF and X-rays better! :)

The controls always need a shot of DeOxit...hey after 25 years wouldn't you need a stiff martini or two?

EIA code of 312....dunno who made that CRT. _EDIT: Looked it up and it's Sylvania_ At first I was gonna say RCA, since my '85 Sanyo/Sears has the same looking label on the tube and was an RCA.

Good find indeed. Makes a great picture. It continues to make me scratch my head, about all the great technology that's just junked these days....

Those pots downed at least a couple of good shots, plus a lot of coaxing to loosen themselves and dance. (edit: gosh that came out bad) :drunk:

I had a 1985 20-inch FST Sanyo set (a Japanese made multi-system "Cosmo" model) several years back and it's tube was nowhere near as bright or as colorful as any of the US-assembled equivalents. Oddly, it did not have as much filth on the chassis as this Sears has. Perhaps the filth on this set had caused some problems to the previous owner, whatever it was, it's working very well after cleaning it. I didn't have to replace caps or other things, though I adjusted the focus to improve the picture.

bgadow
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
That was a very popular series of sets; not many left, though. I had one, briefly. It worked fine but while I was testing it a cap blew. (still worked, though!) I replaced the cap and sold it for $5.

The retired Sears repairman I know has one of these as his garage TV-the back is long gone.

Sandy G
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Y'all might remember, I bought a 9" 1980 Sanyo/Sears offa You-Know-Where for sumpin' like 9 bux-IIRC, I was the only one to bid on it- & was VERY pleasantly surprised at the pic quality...

wilkes85
04-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice set! I wonder why someone would just throw it out?
Probabally just assumed it was crap because it's old, and went out and bought a plasma that will last them about 2 years. But this thing will still be running flawlessly even after those people will have gone through their 10th plasma lol

I got me a Nov. 1985 Sears 27" console for free out of the classifieds. Even for a big huge set, it's still got a new-looking CRT. The colour and brightness is perfect, and the focus is razor sharp. All encased in a really nice wood cabinet.
(I've noticed that larger CRTs don't last even half as long as smaller ones usually do).

Also I noticed the picture is just very slightly tilted a bit. Mine's tilted too, but it's much more obvious, especially when watching something in widescreen.
Another guy on here said he has a Sears sanyo set too, and it also has a tilted screen. Must be the main flaw on these Sanyo built Sears sets.

mhardy6647
04-08-2009, 04:39 PM
My in-laws had one of those quasi built in to a wall in the sitting room of their 1850s New Hampshire farmhouse :-) They had it for the rest of their lives (my mother in law died in 1993); we didn't keep it when the estate was settled.

I have an RCA XL-100 19" portable (probably of the same vintage or a bit older) that they had upstairs down in my basement...

Cantabury Guy
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Looks just like the one that died on me last month. For the past year the picture would shrink up for hours or days at a time and then just spring back to life. Not the last time . Its still in the basement. BTW I have the remote if it would be of some value to anyone. PM me.

Howard

AnalogDigit
04-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Really nice set. Congratulations on the find.

fdrennen
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I think as we aproach June there will be plenty of good sets with a lot of life in them on the trash

zenith2134
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
fdrennen- I can't wait. This is a once in a lifetime event for a TV collector. Imagine, 50+ years worth of America's TV sets, all becoming obsolete overnight. This is of course assuming that many people either don't know they could use a converter for digital, or would rather upgrade their tv. Either way, there WILL be some great trash finds, I can almost guarantee that! :thmbsp::yes:

fdrennen
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
The cable company tries to make you think that without cable one will not be able to get free TV, and many well heeled TV viewers will upgrade to a newer set.

wilkes85
04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
fdrennen- I can't wait. This is a once in a lifetime event for a TV collector. Imagine, 50+ years worth of America's TV sets, all becoming obsolete overnight. This is of course assuming that many people either don't know they could use a converter for digital, or would rather upgrade their tv. Either way, there WILL be some great trash finds, I can almost guarantee that! :thmbsp::yes:

And don't forget people who think that even if they have cable or satelite, the DTV conversion will affect them too!

And who here will bet the new digital picture quality will look like a youtube video?
I got digital cable, and a lot of the time there's digital distortion, but it's a lot more obvious on my 25" RCA XL-100 console than my 27" Sears console.

zenith2134
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I hear ya, wilkes. In regards to either audio or video, my philosophy is that digital is NOT always the devil: Instead, it's the mastering engineer (audio) or system controller (cable/satellite) that suppresses the medium's potential.

Then again, there are times when the signal needs to be compressed or have its bandwith reduced...I know the cable companies here are trying to compete with FIOS and their totally fiber-optic network. Best the cable co. can do at this point is patch in fiber runs where new ones are needed, and install all the associated equipment one location at a time. Sometimes, the controller will obviously sacrifice the cable TV service's pix quality in order to maximize their broadband service's upload capacity.

Also, some digital cable STB's have a "smart" circuit which keeps track of the most viewed channels per room and gives those more priority in the system. Result is the lesser-used channels get choppy and pixelized.