View Full Version : Here is an oddball you don't see very often

RobtWB
03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Almost forgot I had this set. I found it buried in the utility room while cleaning.
It is a ~ 1970 vintage Heathkit 19" color set. Model GR-500. Inline gun, slotted mask. It came with all assembly manuals.
This was a CL find a year or so back. The gentleman I got it from wanted it to go to a Heath collector. I explained I wasn't a true Heath collector, but that I did have Heath gear in my ham shack, but that I was really a tv collector. So he gave it to me with the hope I would restore it to its glory.

As you can see from the photo, the set has a big problem. Almost certain that the CRT has reached the end of its life. I may try a rejuv when I come across a better tester, but I doubt it will do any good. The longer the set is on, the better the pic gets. I did watch some of the last olympic games on the set, feeding it with cable, and using the PPC(preset picture control), Heaths answer to Zeniths Color Sentry!!! lol

zenith2134
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Dang, the sets you guys forget you have are better than all of mine combined! :D

Great set, hope you get the tube working better soon.

Eric H
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Neat set, you might try a brightener first to see if the pic improves.

radiotvnut
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Is this a tube or SS set? Probably an early inline tube. What type number is the tube?

RobtWB
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
The set is SS.
It has an RCA branded CRT.
19 VHF TCO2 on a label that is placed on top of another - may be Heaths number? Dunno.

radiotvnut
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I think that tube has it's deflection yoke and convergence/purity magnets bonded to the neck and adjusted at the factory. That was done so that the builder could drop the tube in and not have to perform convergence and purity set-up. I think those tubes came out around '74. That tube will probably respond to rejuvenation provided that you use a more modern CRT tester.

jpdylon
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I have had very good lasting results with the beltron on the early inline tubes. They are worth looking around for.

andy
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Eric H
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought RCA came out with the inline bonded yoke tube around 1972? I had one of the first sets with that system.
I had to change the CRT so the yoke may not have been bonded?

RobtWB
03-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Looked at the set again, yes the yoke is bonded to the neck.

Was looking through the set of assembly manuals trying to get a closer date.
Best I remember the gent that gave me the set said he built it around 69 or seventy. Can only find a few copyright dates on a few pages and they all say 1974. Interesting that I did find a Heath repair center tag inside the set. It dates to 1974.

Gonna have to wait until I come across a better crt tester/rejuvenator before I do anything more with set. Anyway this set should be simple to work on with the mountain of step by step assembly manuals and schematics provided.

kx250rider
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I think that's the early RCA tube with the 110-degree deflection. Rare these days! It came in an ultra-slim portable from the early 70s with the 1st generation RCA modular chassis like the CTC-46. (it wasn't a 46, but used those same modules)

Charles

radiotvnut
04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I think that's the early RCA tube with the 110-degree deflection. Rare these days! It came in an ultra-slim portable from the early 70s with the 1st generation RCA modular chassis like the CTC-46. (it wasn't a 46, but used those same modules)

Charles

I think those chassis were CTC49 and CTC59 and they were from around '72. I've only seen a couple of those sets over the past 20 years. I think Magnavox used that tube in their first SS 19" sets (T989, IIRC) and in the T991 upright modular chassis.

Spinning Head
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Has anyone had any luck re-attaching the yoke to the CRT on these RCA sets with the inline gun and bonded yoke? I had '75 XL-100 where the yoke came un-glued from the tube. I junked the set about ten years ago, figuring it would be next to impossible to get it back in the right spot and glued.

andy
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM