View Full Version : 21CT55 SN: B8801131 Joins the Living List

ohohyodafarted
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Well it's been a very long road. I purchased this set from another Milwaukee collector last summer. The set was about a 5 on the ten scale. The cabinet was fair for it's age, but the top was pretty bad. The back was missing as were 2 sheet metal panels form the HV doghouse, and the rectifier cage cover. The rest was there, although in need of a complete overhaul

Step one was the cabinet. After disassembling all the components from the cabinet I proceeded to completely strip and refinish the top. Safety glass was stuck to the crt escutcheon from melted foam rubber gaskets that had turned to goo. I used a blow dryer to slowly heat the glass to soften the rubber goo and with a little bit of coaxing the goo eventually let go. The glass and crt escutcheon were cleaned with mineral sprits to soften and remove the rubber goo.

I stained the mahogany veneer top with a water based stain that I custom mixed to match the rest of the cabinet. Then 2 coats of blonde shellac. Then 6 coats of acrylic automotive lacquer. Wet sanding with 400 wet sandpaper after coats 4, 5, and 6. After wet sanding the last coat I steel wool with 0000 steel wool and then polish with white polishing compound and a slow RPM buffer with a lambs wool pad. Lastly I paste wax with Minwax past wax.

The carcass of the cabinet also needed to be refinished due to flaking varnish. I use lacquer thinner to soften the flaking varnish and then steel wool the flaking areas. Then 2 coats of shellac and 4 coats of acrylic automotive lacquer using the same finishing technique as used for the top of the cabinet.

I removed the spindle legs and removed the brass ferrules from the wood spindles. I buffed the brass ferrules with a scotch bright wheel on a bench grinder. The brass ferrules were then reinstalled on the wood spindles and the entire leg assemblies were then given 3 coats of acrylic automotive lacquer. Legs were then reinstalled.

The brass picture frame trim which holds the safety glass in place was also striped, polished and then coated with clear lacquer. I also spruced up other brass such as the Victor "V" on the pencil box and the "Deluxe" emblem on he speaker board in the same mannor.

The grill cloth was very very dirty. I was able to remove it from the speaker board. I soaked it in a strong solution of OxyClean and hot water. It took several batches of fresh solution to get all the stains out. I then reinsed in cold water and let it air dry on a clean bath towel. I re-attached the cloth to the speaker board using 3M Scotch #77 spray adhesive.

The crt shroud is made from low density polyethylene, LDPE. Somewhere along the line, someone had a difficult time getting the shroud to install so they decided to take a razor knife and cut 2 inches off of the front edge of the shroud. Fortunately they left the part they cut off on the crt escutcheon . SOOOOOO.... I obtained a hot air plastics welder from ebay for $30 and also ordered some 1/8" LDPE welding rod. After experimenting to get the hang if it I was able to re-weld the 2 inches of the shroud that had been severed from the front edge of the shroud, reattaching it just as it had been originally.

Lots of time was spent cleaning all the various components of the crt/deflection yoke and purity magnet ring hardware systems.

I recreated a new cover for the deflection yoke to replace the celluloid cover that had completely disintegrated. I posted a thread some time ago about that technique.

The crt was the original that was shipped with the set. It was manufactured in the 52nd week of 1954. Unfortunately it was very nearly dead, so I had it rebuilt at Hawkeye and it is like new again.

The chassis was pretty dirty so I spent two entire evenings cleaning the crud off if it. The chassis was missing two sheet metal panels from the HV cage. Thank yous go to Steve Kissinger who loaned me the missing panels off of his 21CT55 so that I could photograph, measure and make patterns, from which I then fabricated exact replicas of the missing panels.

I fabricated a reproduction metal back for the set. John Folsom furnished me with photos of an actual back from a 21CT55. As it turns out it's very similar to the back for a CT100. I used the back from one of my CT100's along with the photos from John and was able to replicate a back for the 21CT55, using 18 gauge perforated sheet steel and a sheet of 18 gauge cold rolled mild steel. I purchased a small spot welder on ebay for the job. It worked great. I used the spot welder to attach the perforated sheet metal to the outer frame that I fabricated from the 18 gauge cold rolled. As an added touch I attached steel plate where the holes for the controls on the rear of the HV cage are accessed. I used my computer controlled New Hermes engraving machine to engrave the control names under each hole.

Using the same materials I fabricated a new reproduction rectifier cage cover which can bee seen in the photo of the top side of the chassis. Fortunately this set uses the same design for the rectifier cage cover as the CT100 and I was able to use a cover that I got off of one of my ct100's as an example to copy. There is a small difference in my reproduction. I used a solid piece of cold rolled for the back side of my reproduction cover because it was easier to spot weld it this way.

At this point I reinstalled the crt escutcheon , safety glass, and brass trim into the cabinet. I used some 1/8" thick foam cell weather strip tape that I got at ACE hardware to act as a replacement gasket between the safety glass and the crt escutcheon .

The chassis needed a complete recap, and so that was done and 9 electrolytic cans were re-stuffed too. Most of the tubes were very weak and so 18 tubes were replaced with NOS.

The 2500PF 30KV doorknob was leaking, so that was replaced. Turns out the 6BD4A HV regulator had taken a dump and this puppy will put out over 31.5KV if not regulated. That is most likely what took out the door knob cap.

After I replaced the HV regulator tube, I was having trouble getting the specified 25KV out if it. Thanks to John Folsom for some 66Meg resistors I was able to get the bias voltage on the regulator back where it belonged and now I can regulate between 22KV and 28KV.

Final checkout was pretty straight forward. After replacing a bad AGC tube and the usual several days of tweaking, I had a pretty decent picture.

Then it was time for final assembly, and my usual anal-retentive convergence job (I was surprised it converged as well as it does for a set of this vintage) it was time to take some final photos and write this report.

All in all I spent about 14 weeks in restoring this set. I felt it was worth it because it's probably my most significent color acquisition.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Bob Galanter

REFINISHED CASE WITH SAFETY GLASS AND BRASS TRIM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/Refinishedcase.jpg

REPRODUCTION BACK. CAN YOU GUESS WHAT I USED FOR THE CRT CUP?
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/ReproductionBack.jpg

TOP VIEW OF FRESHLY CLEANED CHASSIS
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/ChassisTop.jpg

BOTTOM VIEW OF CHASSIS AFTER RE-CAP
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/ChassisBotom.jpg

REAR VIEW AFTER INSTALLING REBUILT CHASSIS
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/Chassisisin.jpg

REAR VIEW WITH BACK INSTALLED
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/Backison.jpg

FRONT VIEW OF FINISHED RESTORATION
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/FrontViewAllDone.jpg

SCREEN SHOT OF GATED RAINBOW
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/GatedRainbow.jpg

SCREEN SHOT OF LIVE SNL COMMERCIAL ON WTMJ CH 4
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/SNLCommercial.jpg

NICE ORANGE SCREEN SHOT
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/Adventureland.jpg

WIZARD OF OZ CLOSEUP
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/WereOfftoSeetheWizard.jpg

WIZARD OF OZ EMERALD CITY SCREEN SHOT
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/EmraldCity.jpg

WIZARD OF OZ DORTHY SCREEN SHOT
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu135/antiquetvguy/21ct55/Dorthy.jpg

Sandy G
03-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Wow.....I'm in AWE... Hold up whilst I run & get me my "drool" towel...(grin)

firenzeprima
03-09-2009, 08:12 AM
wonderful tv set, but the color in not very really

Robert Grant
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Good old NTSC.

14 weeks of work, and too anxious to spend 5 seconds turning the "TINT" knob! (ROTFL).

SERIOUSLY, Yoda, an absolutely beautiful achievement, perfect in every detail. I doubt any 21CT55 looked this good on the factory floor 54 years ago.

Congrats on a job well done, and thanks for sharing the story and the photos with us.

Rob

Pete Deksnis
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
With that early and now rebuilt 21AXP22 Bob's using, which should have the same phosphor as a 15GP22, the set will perform as well as a CT-100 :yes:

stay tuned

kx250rider
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
MAGNIFICENT! I have a lot of respect for you, as I know exactly how much work that can be!!!!! I've done a 21CT55, and I had put so much time into it that I didn't bother with any of the cosmetic details that you did so well. That chassis shines like a Scott radio!

Charles

radotvguy
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
nice job . thats a lot of work but looks great

compucat
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow. We're not worthy, we're not worthy. How can anybody like a flat panel tv after seeing such a beautiful example of industrial design. That is a remarkable restoration. We should all be able to do half as well. I love the brass trim and emblems.

The tube cap looks like it is made from a plastic microwavable instant soup bowl. Am I right?

Sandy G
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=compucat;2568714]Wow. We're not worthy, we're not worthy. How can anybody like a flat panel tv after seeing such a beautiful example of industrial design. That is a remarkable restoration.
Ezzacly. That bad boy's from what, 1955 ? 54 years old...Reckon anybody will get the Warm Fuzzies over the latest 2009 54" wunderkind plasmaticHDTV thingy in 2063, assuming ANY of 'em are still around then-Which I doubt...But I guarantee if you "fire up" that '55 TV in 2063, you'll have a throng of people eager to see it...An' I see no reason why it wouldn't STILL work...

Tomcomm
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Bob....Great restoration, probably the best of all 21CT55 posted. I wonder how many of the 16 or so known 21CT55s are owned by this forum's members, operating or not? I would like to get a current accounting of members that have them and their intentions regarding proper restorations like yours. Mine is alive but is not a restoration, not even a "red-neck" attempt. I'd like to see more screen shots' possibly from the "Digital Video Essentials" evaluation DVD thru a good modulator after you get yours optimally setup....Tom

bgadow
03-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Lots of work, but a set that deserves it. Encouraging to see that 21AXP rebuild working. Curious about the black beauties still in the chassis-non critical circuit or were they later replaced? I think I have 2 old paper caps left in my CTC-5, 1600v in the audio circuit...regular supplier didn't have them and they still work.

ohohyodafarted
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Bagadow,

Yes! your are correct, the black beauties need to go. Dont' know why I failed to pull those? I guess it was just something I overlooked. The set had been worked on by another party and there were a few errors int eh chassis that I had to fix. As a result I was very focused in making sure everything was correct according to the schematic and I spent a lot of my time double checking to make sure every cap was in the set (as I found 2 that were missing) and also that they were connected according to the schematic. I also found a 2 caps that were connected wrong.

Mark,
You are close on the crt cup. Think Stainless and Pet store!

Bob

old_tv_nut
03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Bob, 14 weeks actually seems like a short time for all you did. Just beautiful!

By the way, if you ever get the urge to break into my house at night and work on the CTC-5 cabinet, I promise not to call the police.

Tony V
03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Another fine resto Bob! Thats as probably as close to new as most of us will ever see. What a beautiful set!
-Tony

jeyurkon
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
That's a beautiful finish. The wet sanding really makes a difference. We see too many TVs and Radios that are glossy but have a surface like an orange. Yours is like a mirror!

John

ohohyodafarted
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Jeyurkon,

Glad you like the finish. In the past I have been rebuked for using a glossy lacquer or even touching the finish. But sometimes a cabinet is just too bad to leave "as is". And why would anyone put in a lot of work making a set work great and look like crap.

I like to use acrylic lacquer because it drys fast and is very very durable over the long haul. And by wetsanding so the surface is very flat, without orange peel, and then the steel wool and compounding, you get a factory like finish that does not shine like the surface of a car but like a nice dining room table in a furniture store.

Bob

zenithfan1
03-09-2009, 02:56 PM
:ntwrthy::ntwrthy:Absolutely gorgeous Bob! Well done!! You have re-ignited my passion for these sets. Now I gotta get off my you know what and get my 4, 5 and 9 going like that or close!!

damen
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Beautiful job and what a great set I hope i find one like that to restore one day... thanks for sharing.
Damen

stromberg6
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am about your triumph!!!! I am hoping that a friend is going to finish his CTC-2B soon so I can see first hand what those chassis are capable of!
Kevin
:tresbon:

MRX37
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
That is very nice.

BTW what did you use for the CRT neck cover on the back panel?

Ampico-kid
03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Great job Bob!! That set looks like it just rolled off of the RCA production line!!
That's a very impressive restoration job, first class from top to bottom! Bob

Steve D.
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Bob,

I can only echo what the other's have said. Beautiful detail work. The high gloss cabinet finish and the factory fresh look of the chassis show great restoration skill and much patience.
My guess is the tube cap is a doggie water bowl.

-Steve D.

ohohyodafarted
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
You win the contest Steve! It is a stainless steel water bowl from a pet supply store. It is almost the same shape and size as the original in the photo that John Folsom sent to me. I think the original is probably plastic.

Your prize for the correct guess is one free ATTA BOY!

BTW, I did not want to do the refinishing job on my walnut Wingate so I cheated and took it to a furniture refinisher. He has had it for about 3 months and I went to see it last week. It looks pretty nice but I am not thrilled about the color of the stain he used. Otherwise the finish is very nice. I will need to rub it down with steel wool and buff it after I get it back.

I have not started on the chassis yet, and it will probably be some time before I get to it. However I did obtain a new verticle centering pot to replace the one on the chassis that is jury riged.

The basket case CTC4 that was found in Meridian MS in a shed, should be on a truck by now, on the way to Milwaukee.

When it arrives I will take picture and make a posting. If I can manage to rebuild this set, then I think anything is possible.

I will be looking for a 21axp22 for that set as the neck is broken off of the crt.

Bob

kx250rider
03-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Hmmm... I noticed the new paint on the back, and (forgive me if it was explained earlier), the tube cap is a dog bowl... I sold a couple of CT-100 and 21CT55 backs on eBay about 5 years ago, that I had saved from my fire in '88. They were missing the tube caps (melted out). Is that one of those backs? Just curious.

Charles

ohohyodafarted
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes the crt cup is a dog bowl. No it is not one of your backs. I fabricated this one from scratch as explaied in the write-up in the original post above.

Bob G.

aerials
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
After seeing this beauty I am going to rescue that ctc-5 up the road from me in Auburn In. It is another Wescott the same as I donated to Wayne. Just having that set in a living room off is an art piece to admire. Wonderful achievement!

ceebee23
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
WOW!!! plain WOW .... what an astounding restoration .... ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnvy!

AUdubon5425
03-10-2009, 11:49 PM
What a beautiful job - congratulations!

Dave S
03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm practically speechless! Another top drawer restoration that makes my best look like crap! :drool:

Congratulations, Bob, you do some really inspirational work.

Aussie Bloke
03-11-2009, 01:56 AM
What can I say but hats off to you Bob for doing such an AWESOME restoration job on this rare set, it looks like it's fresh straight from the factory!!! And it gives an awesome picture too!!!

Hey Bob, just wondering if you have any photos of the set before restoration, I am and I'm sure others will be interested to see how this TV set looked before you did this magnificent restoration job.

ohohyodafarted
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately one of my big short commings is that I usually neglect to take some before photos. The only one I have is of little use showing it's condition beecause it was taken after the set was dismantled and is of the rear of the set and dosent show anything of it's actual condition.

I guess I get carried away with enthusiasum to get into the actual restoration. I am going to have to do a better job of doing before photos in the future.

ohohyodafarted
04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
As most of you probably know I am working with John Folsom on the 15GP22 rebuild project.

We are currently attempting to resolve an issue with cracking 20 pin glass stems used to mount the gun.

In our efforts to determine what the problem is, with respect to our stems cracking, I decided to send a stem remnant that was removed from a dud color crt, to our stem manufacturer for him to examine and see if he could find a way to redesign the 20 wire stem we are having trouble with.

OK so I decided to send our stem maker the glass stem remenant from the
21axp22 gun that was removed, prior to rebuilding the crt for the 21CT55. Upon removing the gun and the base socket, I discovered a very odd thing. The stem used to mount the gun was not a 14 wire stem as one would expect, but rather a 20 wire stem. It is the exact same type 20 wire stem used on all the 15GP22 crt's.

I would assume that RCA probably produced a surplus quantity of 20 wire stems, that were left over at the end of the 15GP22 production run, and so at the beginning of the production run for the 21AXP22's, RCA decided to use up the surplus 20 wire stems that were made for the 15GP22 crt's.

The 21axp22 in this 21ct55 set, had a date code of 52 week of 1954, so it was indeed an early production original 21AXP22.

Just a little bit of additional curious information on the early color crt's

Bob

jeyurkon
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Bob,
About the 21AXP22 and 15GP22, did either you or John happen to win this auction? http://cgi.ebay.com/1953-RCA-Prototype-15GP22-CRT-booklet-illustrated_W0QQitemZ230334848402

I had pointed it out to John in a PM but didn't hear back. I was reluctant to bid on it in case either of you were bidding. I'm amazed at what it went for. :yikes: I wouldn't have even come close had I bid on it.

I'm hoping one of you won it or at least know the person who did. The description sounds like it might be helpful to your project.

John

ohohyodafarted
04-12-2009, 04:10 PM
As it turns out John Folsom already had a copy of that book, and thanks to John making me a copy, I have the information now too.

It really dosen't tell much about the developement of the 15G, but rather has a lot about the other components that were developed especially for the 15G. Stuff like the flyback, vert outpput trans, purity coil, field equalization coil, and specially designed tubes, such as the voltage regulator and other tubes.

Bob

John Folsom
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
John, I did not see your PM, sorry. Email is always better, more direct. But thanks for the heads-up. Harrry's paper items have been going for some serious money, eh? Fortunately, I already had a photocopy of that 15G info.

jeyurkon
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I feel better now. Thanks.

I had forgotten that I have your email address.

Yeah, Harry must be doing well.

John