View Full Version : Please tell me someone scored this CTC-5

jmdocs
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I stumbled on this a day or two ago on Craigslist:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/1054390276.html

Photo attached in case the listing is deleted--unless my eyes deceive me, it's the $495 loss-leader CTC-5, and yes, that price tag says $40. I've sent several emails, to no avail. Please tell me someone here found this too and it's not in the alley or worse.

Funny, this is the second CTC-5 (if I'm right about it) that I've stumbled on in Chicagoland in the last six months--the previious was the Wingate console I posted about a few months back. That one had a happy ending; I hope this one does too.

Chicago is clearly a good color TV town. I'm sure it's because there is so much television production here, especially in commercials, and a lot of early color programming--WNBQ went all-color in 1956.

So--anyone know what happened with this set?

Jeff

WISCOJIM
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I emailed them on the 1st, and I never heard back from them either.

Maybe ohohyodafarted or Zenithfan1 knows who got it?

ohohyodafarted
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I never saw that ad, and I Google craigslist for color tv or antique tv every couple of days.

I don't know if mark got it either.

Bob G.

zenithfan1
03-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I haven't seen it until now either. I want it though! I'll send an email too just to see what happens. It would be a damn shame to see it thrown out. Man Jeff, you seem to have the luck in finding the 5s, thanks again for finding the Wingate!!:D

zenithfan1
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Email sent, I hope they reply to one of us, it's driving me nuts thinking about that set. I'm going to have nightmares of it going into a dumpster tonight!

old_tv_nut
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I sent an email too - but no reply. Hope they aren't reconsidering

zenithfan1
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
The posting is expired now too. We may never know what happened to it. They never replied to me either, or several others too. SUCKS

Phil Nelson
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
They may simply have sold it to the first person who responded, and ignored the rest of the emails. Why answer a bunch of email about something you no longer own?

I have gotten a couple of good craigslist scores by responding early and offering to pay a little more than their asking price and pick up the item (or have a shipper pick it up) at their earliest convenience. They say, "Hey, he sounds like a nice guy," the deal is immediately sealed, and everyone goes home happy.

A couple of other hints:

-- If it's something you really want, keep your trap shut until you make a deal (don't blab all over international forums like this).

-- If the seller includes a phone number, call them immediately rather than sending email. Lots of people selling online are not Internet geniuses, and may check email sporadically or simply space out on things.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html