View Full Version : Oh ! the Horror

Oldstuff78
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Have any of you seen those freaks on you tube smashing vintage electronics ? I didn't watch but a second of one clip, but they were smashing a console TV (looked to be a 80s set) and then I saw a listing for them smashing a console stereo.

Idiots like that is what makes old stuff become completely obsolete. Kind of like people who get old vintage jewlery and melt it down into scrap or people who paint and beat old fine crafted furniture into shabby chic garbage.

I cringe to think if they did anything to pre 1970's stuff.

I need a tranquilizer or a good stiff drink.

AUdubon5425
02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I just don't understand what kind of thrill the younger generation gets out of destroying so much stuff. It's not like they're chopping something up because the garbage wouldn't otherwise take it off - I could understand that. No, they have this maniacal joy in destroying anything.

They obviously never had to work and save to buy anything. I have come to the conclusion that the age of maturity has receded ten years. Lastly, I don't have a manicured & landscaped lawn, but if my yard looked like the ones in many of these videos I sure wouldn't be showing it to the world on youtube!

zenith2134
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Now, I've smashed up my share of TV sets but never anything of value. I can recall destroying Sylvania Supersets, an 80s Magnavox, and tons of BPC (1990s) sets.

It got to the point where it wasn't worth it anymore since A) It's stupid and pisses people off and B) It's a freakin' mess to clean up! Hard to justify a minute of assinine fun for a half hour of cleaning up chemical-laden glass shards....

But yeah I've seen a few YT videos where antiques have been obliterated by a sledgehammer or small explosives. Silly!

leadlike
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it's a generational thing so much as something for young people to do-my dad used to smash tvs in the junkyard and he wasn't supposed to go near the back alley by the tv shop because it was full of crt glass from kids smashing them as well-and all this almost fifty years ago.

Before I got into electronics, I too smashed my fair share of plastic sets, but obviously not anymore. We always did it because it seemed like there would be a fairly dramatic explosion by shooting/smashing out a crt. Luckily for us, we were never harmed. Although I remember caving in the face of a crt and immediately asking what all this white powdery dust was that was now settling all over us....

zenithfan1
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
They're all idiots in my opinion. That reminds me....I still have that flat screen out in my yard. Time to start smashing the real crap. I don't mind people smashing the stuff from the late 90's and newer, that's all that stuff is good for anyways. But I get a little pissed to see them smashing the good stuff.

Oldstuff78
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I noticed in their video descriptions they say something like "We know Vintage Collectors Hate Us". I didn't stick around to watch the demo on the 1 video I clicked on.

I'm a vintage fanatic and can't stand to see old stuff trashed. I have this quirk that it all needs to be saved or rescued. I recently saw a video where this dude takes old Sunbeam Mix Masters and makes them into crappy gizmos.

Aussie Bloke
02-26-2009, 03:45 AM
I'd say a lot of teenagers have the mind of Beavis and Butthead and get their kicks out of breaking things, explosions, animal cruelty etc., an unfortunate trait for the immature and when they grow up maybe a lot of them will regret doing some of those things. These kids should get educated in school of the importance of antiques and preservation of technological history so there will at least may be a reduction in this sort of behaviour, though you'll still get a lot of Beavises and Buttheads out there that will not care and get high off destroying things.

Basically to them stuff like this is junk and they prefer the age of modern technology like the flat screen plasma TVs and technological history isn't of importance to them.

On the same note, I've noticed a lot of us collectors don't see much importance of the more modern TV sets, probably because they come in abundance because of more automated mass production and are practically throwaways if a jungle IC goes faulty as it's cheaper to buy a new set than pay a TV repairman to replace them, well I've come to think the later TV sets are also of technological historical importance in the evolution of TV and will in some decades time be also considered collectors items and they would eventually become scarce like the antique pre-70s sets. The old saying goes one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I for one have never smashed up TVs or electronics but in my teens I have been guilty of cannibalising a 1970s Grundig colour TV and a late 70s Sony colour TV for its components as both TVs were stuffed beyond easy repair anyhow. Back then I was interested in the components and re-using them for some electronic projects. I got rid of the set bodies after and just kept the components. I now regret it especially the Grundig set as it would of been a very rare set imported from Germany, but yeah values change. I now have a mid 70s Philips colour set sitting under my house, as I'm not as technically minded as you fellas I can't do much with it but at the same time I refuse to put it out for curbside pickup.

Anyhow it's one of those shit things us collectors have to face, and there's not much we can do to stop it unless we were there just when the destroying is about to take place.

bgadow
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think I ever destroyed a set for fun; I've destroyed plenty just to get rid of them, because they were "junk". Usually I burnt them since it was easier than lifting a sledgehammer. Many/most of the sets I destroyed as a teenager are things that would get me thrown off this group these days! I can think of plenty of 60s color sets. But they were junk then. Trouble is, an 80s console tv is "junk" today. Most 70s models, too. I still say if you don't want to see them destroyed, put your money where your mouth is. If you are willing to buy every System III console that comes along, great! Unfortunately we just can't save them all.

I do have a Magnavox LCD that a repair shop gave me. After I confirm that it's garbage, maybe I will find something creative to do with it?

Jeffhs
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Liking antique/vintage electronics as I do (I have several vintage Zenith and Sony radios here; no room for vintage TVs, except perhaps small 5" portables, in my small apartment), I cannot see the sense, either, in why kids like smashing old sets found on treelawns, curbs, etc. on trash collection day. When I lived in suburban Cleveland, I would see a TV every once in a while with the neck broken off the CRT or even the screen bashed in. I even saw kids pitching rocks at the screens of vintage TVs; it's a wonder the tube didn't implode. If one ever did, I'm sure those kids would run like sixty, hoping to avoid being cut severely by flying glass (all CRTs are under tremendous vacuum pressure; when that lets go, look out!). On the other hand, I'm sure some kids were injured badly by flying glass from a broken CRT; I bet that put an end to their rock-throwing (at least at televisions) forever.

andy
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
---

Aussie Bloke
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I have to also say whilst in USA, 70s colour TV sets are not considered as worth collecting due to their abundance, in Australia it would be a different story for us collectors over here as we did not get colour until the fall of 1974 so I'd dare say colour TV sets in Australia dating 1974-76 would be considered as collectible items, around that era we had Philips, National (Panasonic), Kriesler and a few others and we only had VHF tuning, we were late on the scene with technology no thanks to the conservative government. Nowadays in Australia colour TV sets from the mid 70s are of a real rarity and B&W sets from the 50s and 60s are almost unheard of. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1959 B&W HMV set in my travels and have a techo friend to get it up and running (not perfectly) for me.

Sandy G
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I've busted up/shot a few TVs in my day, but they were always ones that were too far gone to be any value otherwise. Prolly the most "valuable" one was an early '60s 23" B&W console-it may have actually worked. I took it to the local Dump, & unloaded a couple clips outta the Uzi at it. We left it there, & it just kept getting shot more & more until finally that fall, there was nothing left...

Jeffhs
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Back when I lived in my first apartment, for the first year or so, every junk TV I set out for the trash got smashed. It was annoying because it left shards of glass everywhere. Eventually they either got bored, or got in trouble because the smashings stopped.

I have to second that most 70's and 80's consoles are still junk. They may be good quality, but no one wants them (not even us). That's the definition of junk! Maybe in 10 or 20 years, but even then, I can't see myself ever being interested in 70's or newer consoles (but then, 10 years ago, I couldn't imagine wanting 60's consoles).

For me, it's mostly early, or unusual technology that's collectible. That means any tube color set, 50's or older B/W, and early solid state like the CTC-40, or original Quasar. By the 70's most color TVs were just commodity items that were no longer interesting (and they were UGLY). 70's small color portables are hard to resist because they are cute, but anything over 19" is a no go for me with the exception of unusual, or cutting edge sets. I also have to admit that when things become hard to find they get more interesting.

I predict that in the future, early LCD and plasma sets will be collectible because they were rare when they were new, and working ones will be even more rare. Early CRT HDTV should also have some value (like early color TVs).

Even though I grew up in the 1970s (I'm 52 now) and remember well Zenith and other brands of TVs/stereo/audio gear from that era, I have to agree with you, looking back on it, that they were not what they were 20 years earlier or more. Even my favorite brand of televisions/audio/home entertainment gear (Zenith) was starting to go downhill by the seventies. They still made console color TVs (Chromacolor II, et al.), but the cabinets weren't all solid wood as were the company's earlier sets. These new CCIIs and, later, System 3 consoles were in wood cabinets, all right, but the accent pieces at either end of the cabinet were woodgrain plastic. This was, I honestly believe, the beginning of the end of the Zenith Radio Corporation as we knew it; the quality of the sets just kept getting worse and worse.

To be fair, however, I have to say that not all Zenith TVs from the seventies were bad. One of my great-uncles had a Zenith Chromacolor II console, bought new in the mid-'70s after his 1960s-era Zenith console (with the light-through VHF and UHF tuner knobs, not the projection type as used in '60s Zeniths, but dials in which the light shone directly through the numbers on the knob) went bad. His CCII console lasted quite a while, requiring only one repair that I was ever aware of: when the CRT cracked after he had the set about six months. I had another great-uncle who replaced the worn-out color TV chassis in his old 3-way console with a portable Zenith TV; he actually put the new set in the space formerly occupied by the old chassis, and put a wood frame around the set to take up the extra space around the opening. The set worked absolutely great for years, and I must say, the installation looked so good it was very difficult to tell that this was a custom job. I'm sure the Zenith TV my great-uncle used to replace the old chassis must have been from the mid-'70s; 1974 is my best guess. The picture looked wonderful (typical pre-GS Zenith) on the outdoor antenna he had. I can only guess how this TV would work on today's cable systems or with a VCR or DVD player; it would probably make the same great Zenith picture as it did on broadcast television.

Captain Video
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
"On the same note, I've noticed a lot of us collectors don't see much importance of the more modern TV sets, probably because they come in abundance because of more automated mass production and are practically throwaways if a jungle IC goes faulty as it's cheaper to buy a new set than pay a TV repairman to replace them, well I've come to think the later TV sets are also of technological historical importance in the evolution of TV and will in some decades time be also considered collectors items and they would eventually become scarce like the antique pre-70s sets. The old saying goes one mans trash is another mans treasure."

It's really impossible for me to think of those ugly black-box TV sets of the 1990's as something really worth to collect at ANY time. They are so... unpleasant to look at ( stylistic speaking ).

1980's TVs are another matter; the 80's were the LAST era in which the factories did put some effort in the cabinet-design for TV sets. I saved two color TV sets from the 80's, and that's it. Enough for me.

I can think of only two 1990's ( early 1990's actually ) that I really like to have in my collection: the Philips "helmet" ( there's one in a Police station here in my city!!! I am trying to get courage to ask them if they would sell it!!! ) and a Mitsubish console that you could turn from one side or another ( like the screen of a Predicta ).

I do have, as daily driver, an actually cute mid-1990's 14 inch ( black box ) "Gradiente" TV set ( Brazilian brand ). Luckilly, this TV is a little different than other black-boxes sets. It's not completely square, it does have a slightly rounded front and an almost "art-deco" base. Some people actually thought that the only reason that I have this TV is because it kind have a "retro" look.

This Gradiente TV set I may save from the curb, as a representative ( although better than the average TV sets of that era ) of the commom 1990's TV sets.

jetblack
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey, can you 'early tv' experts help us 'early tv' novices appreciate the early tv's? I'm looking for a list of things to look for in an old tv that are a plus over the newer tv's. I'm not looking for "the console was made well". With the conversion of analog broadcasts to digital, if one were to use a d/a converter, what characteristic of the early tv would result in a superior pic to the new tv's (and exlude HD & history aspects for a moment)?

shimniok
02-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't know if it's a generational thing so much as something for young people to do-my dad used to smash tvs in the junkyard and he wasn't supposed to go near the back alley by the tv shop because it was full of crt glass from kids smashing them as well-and all this almost fifty years ago.

Darn young whippersnappers. :D

I wonder how many more sweeping generalizations about "these darned kids these days" will be posted today.

I agree it is a generational thing. Humankind has at least a slight tendency for destroying stuff. Kids are often stupid. Add the two and you get SOME kids destroying stuff. But not ALL kids destroy ALL our precious vintage gear.

I'd rather go listen to my vintage gear and relax than comb youtube and worry about some piece of equipment I'm way too late to save.

Plus you're getting a skewed sample/perspective. YouTube doesn't represent what the majority of people do!!

Do you see any you tube videos of kids sitting around being respectful of antiques?? Picture in your mind's eye --- a group of teens videotaping each other sitting on the sofa, staring at grandad's old console... "Yeah guys, that's grandad's console" "oh." ... protracted silence ... "It's old." "Huh. Probably worth something" "Yup." .... more silence, slightly awkward this time .... "Huh." .... "does it work?" ... "yah..."

You don't see these videos.

Because it would be stupid and boring. :D

But I am sure the vast majority of kids are *reasonably* well behaved, respectful, etc. The ones I have met are. They are still kids and act more like kids than adults sometimes. And some are bad apples--just like some people are bad apples.

I got enuf to get spun up about without adding this... :D

Michael

Carmine
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Well, that might be what you say, but I know these kids today with their long shaggy hair and rock and roll music!

Those kids sneak off into the woods to look at dirty magazines, smoke marawanna cigarettes and smash wonderful old television sets with rocks.

If you are defending them, it can only be because you are doing the same things! I can gaurantee you there were no kids smashing tv sets back in the 30s when people had respect for things.

wa2ise
02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you see any you tube videos of kids sitting around being respectful of antiques?? Picture in your mind's eye --- a group of teens videotaping each other sitting on the sofa, staring at grandad's old console... "Yeah guys, that's grandad's console" "oh." ... protracted silence ... "It's old." "Huh. Probably worth something" "Yup." .... more silence, slightly awkward this time .... "Huh." .... "does it work?" ... "yah..."

You don't see these videos.

Because it would be stupid and boring. :D

Michael

A more interesting version would be a couple of kids showing the camera what a record looks like, and then the kid shows the placement of that record on the turntable or record changer. Maybe it's an old Lawrence Welk album or similar "square" music. :D then the record starts playing, the kids laugh for a while, and one, who plays electric guitar, decides the music would actually sound good done heavy metal style :scratch2: (if such is in fact possible) and goes to his guitars and amps and starts playing it... :D

Phil Nelson
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
YouTube doesn't represent what the majority of people do
I have to agree. I have two college-age sons, and they don't do things like that. Their classmates don't do things like that.

Ranting about "the younger generation" just tags you as an old geezer, probably out of touch with today's young people.

If you're curious, volunteer at your local YMCA, Boy Scouts, Future Farmers of America, soccer team, high school science club, whatever, and see whether those kids are doing anything that would attract a lot of attention on YouTube. Probably not.

That said, I confess that when growing up in the 1960s, my friends and I used to bring our .22 rifles to the dump and shoot rats -- along with anything breakable, such as dishes, vinegar bottles, and probably even a few old radios. We may have tried to shoot a few TVs, but a .22 would just ricochet off the typical CRT face. I'm sure I would remember if any had imploded.

Today's electronics are cheap, disposable commodities, for the most part. It is often cheaper to get a new one at Fry's than to have the old one repaired. The last time we had a TV repairman come to our house, he basically laughed at me while writing out the bill. If you have to throw the piece of junk away, why not have a little fun and smash it first?

Phil

Oldstuff78
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I didn't mean to start a controversy here. All I meant to say was that it's a shame that people destroy old things for fun. I admit that I'm not into 1970's/80's era stuff and grew up with it. I just meant that if they are doing it to that era of stuff, imagine it happening to a roundie or 60's console stereo etc.....

I'm blessed to have my 64 Magnavox console stereo and 69 Sylvania console TV. I treasure them because they are part of an era that I was unfortunately not a part of.

I'm just a vintage junkie and I'm also a professional Archivist. So it's drilled into me to preserve the past.

Phil Nelson
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
if one were to use a d/a converter, what characteristic of the early tv would result in a superior pic to the new tv's
Nothing.

Technology has advanced a lot in the last 60 years . . . duh.

Even a cheap 2009 television will vastly outperform a 1949 television in picture quality, sensitivity, stability, reliability, you name it.

People also forget that vintage TVs required constant maintenance. I remember the local TV guy coming out to our house a couple of times a year, on average.

Picture quality is not why people collect and restore vintage TVs. Here are my reasons:

1. History (including broadcasting history).

2. Technology (interesting to learn about early designs).

3. Accessibility: Even a fumblefingers like me can learn to restore them, unlike modern TVs.

4. Style: They ain't makin' 'em like this any more!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

jeyurkon
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm with Phil, nothing.

There might be one area though. I seem to remember some earlier posts about vintage color CRTs having better color rendition. In particular, emerald green looks emerald green on a roundy, but washed out on a plasma or LCD. I think it was said to be a tradeoff to get a brighter more vivid screen that reproduces skin tones better since we notice that more readily.

I hope someone corrects this if I misremembered.

John

Captain Video
02-26-2009, 09:04 PM
"Time travel experience" :

I know, the way I named it sounds crazy, but it's quite true: watching a movie or a TV program recorded in the 1950's or 60's in a TV set of that era... it's an amazing experience!!! One really feels like he is in the 50's or the 60's again!!! Very entertaining.

Aussie Bloke
02-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, that might be what you say, but I know these kids today with their long shaggy hair and rock and roll music!

Those kids sneak off into the woods to look at dirty magazines, smoke marawanna cigarettes and smash wonderful old television sets with rocks.

If you are defending them, it can only be because you are doing the same things! I can gaurantee you there were no kids smashing tv sets back in the 30s when people had respect for things.

I have to say for the first sentence, I personally have long hair and I love my heavy metal from Black Sabbath to Judas Priest to Metallica and I admit I look at porn and have had smoked the odd cone at a couple of parties, but I ain't no TV smasher lol.

It's true that there is lesser respect amongst a lot of the youth of today compared to the youth back in the days of the conservatism and morals, probably because of the trends in pop culture to "be wild" with the help of drugs and alcohol and a lot of teens follow what's consider as "cool" and smashing things and animal cruelty and getting smashed/high seems to be the popular trends amongst wild out of control teenagers unfortunately. It's like there's a lot of Beavis and Butthead personality types out there in amongst the youth.

AUdubon5425
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Call me an old geezer - I'm 33 - but I came up and live in a working class neighborhood, where our parents would have had a stroke if we would have busted something up, even if it was sitting out for the garbage.

I remember when an appliance (including a tv or stereo) broke or was unwanted, there was always someone who would come get it and fix it for a needy neighbor or relative. That's just how we were. I'll never forget how happy & grateful the janitor at my grandma's apartment building was when I gave him a cheap BPC Soundesign stereo when I was 14.

NowhereMan 1966
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I just don't understand what kind of thrill the younger generation gets out of destroying so much stuff. It's not like they're chopping something up because the garbage wouldn't otherwise take it off - I could understand that. No, they have this maniacal joy in destroying anything.

They obviously never had to work and save to buy anything. I have come to the conclusion that the age of maturity has receded ten years. Lastly, I don't have a manicured & landscaped lawn, but if my yard looked like the ones in many of these videos I sure wouldn't be showing it to the world on youtube!

I think that's it, they take things for granted and it seems in society, the age of maturity is really set back these days. Heck it has even changed from the 1980's when I was a teen. I know when my grandfather (born 1901) was a kid, he had to go to work at 13, when you got that age, at that time, you had to accept 80 or 90 percent of adult responsibilities.

It also helps to understand the value of things since I was raised by a single parent after my parents divorced because of the scarcity of some things. Even now, things are tight so perhaps to these kids, my 1982 Zenith is junk but to me, it's priceless.

NowhereMan 1966
02-27-2009, 08:55 PM
"Time travel experience" :

I know, the way I named it sounds crazy, but it's quite true: watching a movie or a TV program recorded in the 1950's or 60's in a TV set of that era... it's an amazing experience!!! One really feels like he is in the 50's or the 60's again!!! Very entertaining.

I know the feeling when I watch RTN, Retro Television Network on the 1982 Zenith.

Me in 1983, 16 years old, sitting on the couch watching A-Team on a 1982 Zenith.

Me in 2009, 42 years old, sitting on the couch watching A-Team on a 1982 Zenith. :D

BTW, I did save some stuff, at work, one of the younger co-workers was going to toss the VCR into the trash, he said, "I'm not sure if I works or not" so he asked me if I wanted it. I took it, it works although I'm trying to get it to tune the analogue channels, but so far, no success, but it works fine with a digital tuner connected to it. I don't care if the tuner doesn't work or not, it is moot point with digital TV coming out so I just use it to tape programs so I can watch them later as well as a VCR for my room. So I got a free VCR.

bgadow
02-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Somehow watching tv on a color set made 40-50 years ago is intriguing. If tuned up well, the picture, I don't know, is unexpectadly good? Maybe it isn't more "correct" but it looks cooler. You can get down to things like truer color reproduction with certain phosphor combinations, maybe black level issues....but for the most part, that's not why we love them.

Oldstuff78
02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I know the feeling when I watch RTN, Retro Television Network on the 1982 Zenith.

Me in 1983, 16 years old, sitting on the couch watching A-Team on a 1982 Zenith.

Me in 2009, 42 years old, sitting on the couch watching A-Team on a 1982 Zenith. :D

BTW, I did save some stuff, at work, one of the younger co-workers was going to toss the VCR into the trash, he said, "I'm not sure if I works or not" so he asked me if I wanted it. I took it, it works although I'm trying to get it to tune the analogue channels, but so far, no success, but it works fine with a digital tuner connected to it. I don't care if the tuner doesn't work or not, it is moot point with digital TV coming out so I just use it to tape programs so I can watch them later as well as a VCR for my room. So I got a free VCR.

I watch RTN too. They show a lot of programs that just aren't rerun anymore. I have my 1969 Sylvania in my office and have RTN on during the day when I work.

There is something about watching old shows on a old set. When I first got mine I watched 1969 episodes of Love American Style on it and some old Color network logos like the 60's NBC Peacock, CBS in Color, ABC.

Having a old console also brings back childhood memories. I was born in 78 and we had a RCA console in the livingroom while growing up. I use to watch Bewitched, Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeannie, N@N etc.....WGN has been showing Bewitched and Jeannie and it's like I'm 6 again.

I think the TV is a treasure, but most people ignore it. They probably just think it's a old out of date set that I probably dug out of the trash or was given to me. Same way with my old 64 Magnavox console stereo.

Jeffhs
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I know that feeling as well, although here I speak of listening to older music on a radio of the same vintage (I no longer have any of the old TVs I had before I moved here nine years ago. :no:) I sometimes listen to an oldies radio program on weekends; I swear, it sounds better to me on my Zenith K731 or C845 than through a modern radio, or even my Aiwa stereo (1999 vintage). I guess it may be because of the better audio circuitry, larger speakers, better bass response, etc. of these old sets. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

Jeffhs
02-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I watch RTN too. They show a lot of programs that just aren't rerun anymore. I have my 1969 Sylvania in my office and have RTN on during the day when I work.

There is something about watching old shows on a old set. When I first got mine I watched 1969 episodes of Love American Style on it and some old Color network logos like the 60's NBC Peacock, CBS in Color, ABC.

Having a old console also brings back childhood memories. I was born in 78 and we had a RCA console in the livingroom while growing up. I use to watch Bewitched, Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeannie, N@N etc.....WGN has been showing Bewitched and Jeannie and it's like I'm 6 again.

I think the TV is a treasure, but most people ignore it. They probably just think it's a old out of date set that I probably dug out of the trash or was given to me. Same way with my old 64 Magnavox console stereo.

WGN America also has its "Outta Sight Retro Nite" on Sunday evenings, during which the station shows reruns of The Honeymooners (DuMont, 1955-56), Newhart (CBS, early '80s), and WKRP in Cincinnati (CBS, late '70s-early-mid '80s).