View Full Version : Free Pallets of TVs

dr*audio
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok, guys, go get 'em!
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/zip/1046652774.html

zenith2134
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Cripes. What an eco-disaster!

Too bad all the BPC will probably obscure any rare console stuff...I mean who the heck can take a whole stack of shrinkwrapped junk to get 1 70s color set? :scratch2::no:

bgadow
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
"We're looking for someone who can take all 7 skids at once. "

Good luck!

kx250rider
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
What a scam. I don't know about Ohio, but in California, they charge $8 up to $15 each when you buy a new TV or monitor, which is SUPPOSED to go into a fund to pay for companies to accept, test, and either sell wholesale to (Mexico?), or dismantle and pay cost of disposal. Somebody is pocketing some $$$...... I smell it!

Charles

dr*audio
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
What a scam. I don't know about Ohio, but in California, they charge $8 up to $15 each when you buy a new TV or monitor, which is SUPPOSED to go into a fund to pay for companies to accept, test, and either sell wholesale to (Mexico?), or dismantle and pay cost of disposal. Somebody is pocketing some $$$...... I smell it!

Charles

As far as I know, there is no such assessment here. When TV's and electronics go bad here, people just put them on the curb.

AUdubon5425
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
You'd need a big U-Haul and a forklift to cart off 7 pallets of tvs.

Phil Nelson
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Reminds me of the last recyclling/haz-waste event in our town, which happens twice a year. It is illegal in the Seattle area to throw a TV, computer monitor, etc., out for the landfill. You have to pay $20 to dispose of the average TV, more for a big projection set, etc.

At the spot where I dropped off a computer monitor, they had stacks of 1980s/etc. TVs, some already stacked on pallets and shrink wrapped.

Some (maybe all) of this stuff gets shipped to "recyclers" in China, who are children wearing flip-flops, crouching in a smoking wasteland bashing things up with hammers. Metal is salvaged -- some of it anyway. The rest, probably including all plastic cases, is tossed into heaps and burned. I read a scary magazine article about this a while ago. Sounds more like an eco-disaster than true recycling.

Some European countries have a better scheme, which requires manufacturers to take back their old products for responsible recycling.

Phil Nelson

electroking
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello,

Here is an illustration of the poorly organized 'recycling process' described above. From the IEEE Canadian Review, December 2007. Maybe the
guy on the right believes his cigarette smoke will protect his eyes
(and those of his partner) from flying glass...

zenith2134
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Why does it say she's going to smash the crt for it's yoke? Just slide it off! What's the shadow mask made of? Not copper, right?

Sam Cogley
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
mmm...mercury...

dr*audio
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello,

Here is an illustration of the poorly organized 'recycling process' described above. From the IEEE Canadian Review, December 2007. Maybe the
guy on the right believes his cigarette smoke will protect his eyes
(and those of his partner) from flying glass...

This is very disturbing. We just keep making more and more crap that breaks and gets thrown away because it's not worth fixing or because people just want newer crap. Now it's getting dumped on the environment.

AUdubon5425
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I was a little pre-occupied to notice, but I always wondered what happened to a lot of the stuff after the storm down here. Just in my parish (county) all but a handful of 25,000+ houses flooded, and when they were gutted everything was piled on the curb and picked up together - sheetrock with lead paint, asbestos floor & roof tile, TVs, thermometers, household chemicals, etc., etc. I know it wold have been impossible to separate the debris - I believe most of it was burned not too far from the Michoud NASA facility.

Makes you think...

kx250rider
02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Reminds me of the last recyclling/haz-waste event in our town, which happens twice a year. It is illegal in the Seattle area to throw a TV, computer monitor, etc., out for the landfill. You have to pay $20 to dispose of the average TV, more for a big projection set, etc.

At the spot where I dropped off a computer monitor, they had stacks of 1980s/etc. TVs, some already stacked on pallets and shrink wrapped.

Some (maybe all) of this stuff gets shipped to "recyclers" in China, who are children wearing flip-flops, crouching in a smoking wasteland bashing things up with hammers. Metal is salvaged -- some of it anyway. The rest, probably including all plastic cases, is tossed into heaps and burned. I read a scary magazine article about this a while ago. Sounds more like an eco-disaster than true recycling.

Some European countries have a better scheme, which requires manufacturers to take back their old products for responsible recycling.

Phil Nelson

This thread is headed to go political... I'll refrain just for now :music:

The fundamental problem with all this waste is that our mentality is to UPDATE, STAY CURRENT, OUT WITH THE OLD (even if it's the best item ever). How wasteful. I guarantee that with all of our TV sets, outdated broadcast equipment, and everything else, that we could use a fraction of the "green money" used for all this fraudulent e-waste disposal, and send all our "e-waste" to poor countries around the world where they would appreciate being able to set up TV stations, and for the common man to have a TV set where they probably barely have radios now. Not to mention Mexico, where used TV sets are still a hot commodity.

Charles

dr*audio
02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
This thread is headed to go political... I'll refrain just for now :music:

The fundamental problem with all this waste is that our mentality is to UPDATE, STAY CURRENT, OUT WITH THE OLD (even if it's the best item ever). How wasteful. I guarantee that with all of our TV sets, outdated broadcast equipment, and everything else, that we could use a fraction of the "green money" used for all this fraudulent e-waste disposal, and send all our "e-waste" to poor countries around the world where they would appreciate being able to set up TV stations, and for the common man to have a TV set where they probably barely have radios now. Not to mention Mexico, where used TV sets are still a hot commodity.

Charles

Sounds like a great idea for any country that uses the NTSC system. I don't know if any poor countries use it.

persons0
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Apple claims the new macbooks and most of their new products are fully recyclable. I think this is an excellent idea due to the inevitable obsolescence of a laptop or any computer. I hope more companies will follow these green practices.

Sam Cogley
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Sounds like a great idea for any country that uses the NTSC system. I don't know if any poor countries use it.

There was a worldwide broadcast standards map posted in a similar thread a few weeks ago. There are at least some "third world" countries on the NTSC standard.

kx250rider
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
There was a worldwide broadcast standards map posted in a similar thread a few weeks ago. There are at least some "third world" countries on the NTSC standard.

I was thinking of countries with no TV at all... Tribal parts of Africa, etc. That way, they can adopt NTSC if they get enough of our hand-me-down equipment. Only issue would be power... I bet they're mostly on 50-cycle 220, if they have distributed power at all.

Charles

zenith2134
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
That would be a great thing, if third-world countries could re-use the castaway gear of the developed world. They'd get TV and there would be less hazardous waste pollution. I have heard the same about power distribution though. There are plenty of areas with no power at all.

John James
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Now why would we wish television on the poor people of the world? Don't they have enough problems as it is?

Sansui Louie
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I bet you could build something really unique with those. Like an entire wall of TV's. Maybe an entire dwelling built out of TV's. Weirder things have been done.

zenithfan1
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I bet you could build something really unique with those. Like an entire wall of TV's. Maybe an entire dwelling built out of TV's. Weirder things have been done.

LOL! Then fire 'em all up and give people X-rays when they come and go to make sure they aren't stealing. Or.....send in the mother in law:naughty:

Robert Grant
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Partial list:
El Savador
Nicaragua
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Mexico
(thru 12 June 2009): United States of America.

vinyldavid
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Now why would we wish television on the poor people of the world? Don't they have enough problems as it is?

I gotta agree with you. Most modern TV is just worthless.

Mark W.
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Phil Nelson

Not necessarily there is a place in Mollala OR. That recycles electronic's The take the metals out the valuable indivual parts are also sorted out the Plastic's if recyclable are ground to a sawdust like grain. The plastic and stuff which can't be recycled are thrown in a 45 foot semi trailer and twice a week taken to a huge modern landfill.

I know I hauled that trailer a hundred times or more under contract.

The business was run by a Russian American and a Japanese American and their families. Most of the workers from what I could tell were of Mexican decent.

jedo1507r
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Yeah, wishing shows like The Bachelor (or The Bachelorette) and Pop Idol on more potential viewers is asking for trouble. :lmao:

Top Gear, on the other hand...