View Full Version : Found some more sets

captainmoody
07-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Here is a pic of the other side of that barn where I found the "newer" stuff. I saved the CTC 22 and a 19 in a mini console.

captainmoody
07-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Here is another shot

Eric H
07-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Those sets must be dead, their feet are pointing up :lmao:

captainmoody
07-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Something was dead in that room for sure, There was dried blood and fur on the front of a zenith roundie in the far back!
Here is the mini-console I got.

captainmoody
07-10-2004, 01:48 PM
The pva is completely separated! So it shouldn't be too bad a project.
The chassis is not rusty for being in a barn for 22 years. This tv was one of the lucky ones as some are real bad.

captainmoody
07-10-2004, 08:48 PM
This set came back real nice! I touched up the cabinet and fixed the pva. It took me all of maybe 5 minutes as even the tape had given way! When the crt was removed the lens remained in the cabinet.
I think other sets should come back nice, What about it guys, Can anyone come up and save some of these?

jstout66
07-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Hey Captain Moody! I sure wish I could get some of those sets. Would love to have that 19" RCA. That's the tv I grew up with! Ours was in an Early American cabinet tho. Have always kept my eye out for one at the sales and have never even seen one. You sure have that one cleaned up nice! Good luck with the sets you get out of there. What a find!

captainmoody
07-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks! Jim is at the barn as I speak now getting pictures and sets so stay tuned as there will be more.

classicradios
07-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Here's some barn photos I took this morning. I moved the TV's around and placed them in different rooms for easier viewing (With the owners permission) Most sets are rough and most are covered in hay, debris and animal droppings, etc.. Plenty of rectangular sets to be had, Some rows of tv's were 3 rows deep so I couldn't photo everything. Hope the photos are helpful, everything pictured is waiting to be taken away.
Jim

classicradios
07-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Photos

classicradios
07-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Still more photos

Sandy G
07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
I remember a few years back "Automobile Quarterly" did an article of a barn somewhere in Europe where somebody had stored quite a bit of automotive exotica- Bugattis, Alfa-Romeos, even a Lincoln Continental- & then let 'em go to rack & ruin similar to this. Kinda sad & magnificent at the same time....At least some of these poor babies will be saved now, those cars were pretty hopeless. -Sandy G.

bgadow
07-11-2004, 09:25 PM
A great, great forum, because how else could all of us get to see this? There can't be too many finds like this out there. I guess that many won't be saved, not due to condition but because, well, where would you guys put them? I'm really, really glad that someone who cares happened across the tv's, before the bulldozer (or the local fire company).

My best find, about 5 years ago, was a farmhouse full of sets, about to be razed. In that case they were mostly 60s b/w consoles-what do you do with them? Almost zero interest out there. At the time I couldn't have even dreamed of there ever being a forum like this; as it was I salvaged the sets I could and grabbed every knob & tube from the others, as I wished them a happy forever in TV Land!

Chad Hauris
07-12-2004, 06:51 AM
That's an amazing TV find! These old things are tough...I have some that look as though they had been left outside for years, but still work fine with just a little bit of work. Even if some are really disintegrated, the crt's and tubes should still be OK.

Big Dave
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
How close is this location to Ohio? If it's close, I might be able to rescue some sets.

captainmoody
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
About 140 mi N from the state line. Come up this weekend!

Big Dave
07-12-2004, 08:54 PM
I'll try to get there. I'm on vacation this week. If i can make it, I'll PM you for directions. Hope to see you there.

H2s04
07-15-2004, 06:04 PM
I really LOVE that 50's set in the center of the last pic you posted. I'd like to give it a home if possible. How heavy do you think it is; would shipping be an option maybe? *worried*

captainmoody
07-15-2004, 08:04 PM
The Arvin? That thing is nasty, Was sitting on the floor and has a rusty chassis, No tubes and a missing back.
If you still wanted it, Pick up would be about the only way as it is too bulky for ups.

Whirled One
07-18-2004, 08:20 PM
(Sorry I'm coming in this thread late-- just catching up...)

Originally posted by captainmoody
This set came back real nice! I touched up the cabinet and fixed the pva. It took me all of maybe 5 minutes as even the tape had given way! When the crt was removed the lens remained in the cabinet.

Wow, pretty amazing how well that set cleaned up with such minimal effort..!

Actually, Captain, this whole story about the barn has been pretty amazing all by itself..! I'm in awe... Wow. How often does one encounter something like *that*?! It's like some sort of mysterious television graveyard... "Tomb of the Lost Raster" or something. :)
If it weren't for the fact that I live over 500 miles away, I'd probably take you up on the offer and try and get out there..!

captainmoody
07-18-2004, 09:42 PM
The visit to the barn was cool and brought back a lot of memories of when I was repairing them in the late 70's and early 80's. If I had come upon that bunch of sets when abandoned in 1982 they would actually have been worth something on the open market at the time. That RCA I just spruced up would have fetched around 100.00! times that by all the other usable color sets in there and that would have been a good haul!
I am glad though that they hung around until I found them now as I have some nice keepers to remind me of those days.

captainmoody
07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Dave, Are you still thinking of coming out? How about you RCA2000? There is probably only a couple of weeks left before they are gone for ever...

rca2000
07-21-2004, 11:48 PM
At this moment, I am waiting to find out the status of my van, as to if it will be repaired or not. If nothing concrete comes about by the next week or so, then ,I will RENT a van, to come and get that set, and maybe a few others.

BTW, what is going to happen to them?- is the barn going to be demolished, or is the fire department going to use it for training(as happened in'83, where a houseful of old tv's were, but most were JUNK, but I did get a couple of them)

Big Dave
07-22-2004, 01:16 AM
I don't think I'll make it due to my work schedule. Reaction to my BP meds ruined my vacation. If rca2000 wants to load up the van, maybe I can meet him and we could divide up the sets (I'll make it worth your while). If I think of something, I'll pass it on.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Hello all,
Captain-that RCA 19" console is REAL COOL looking. Looks like a lot of stuff out there. Have you or CLASSICRADIOS come across any 19" or smaller color Zeniths? I can go to this place to pick up a set if I need to. Due to my current living situation and transportation (a car) I can't even consider any set larger than a portable. I think Captain Moody has my email and phone number. If not I will try to check in here over the weekend. Happy hunting.
Jeff

captainmoody
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Jeff!
I didn't see any metal cabinet Zenith color portables but there is a remote GE B/W and an Admiral.

Carmine
07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Just to let you all know, I'm down for something this weekend! (Down meaning "up" for you older folk)