View Full Version : Texaco Star Theater on TC-127

Tubejunke
02-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Just thought this was a cool shot of Uncle Miltie on my RCA. Actually the photo does the picture little justice. I have a couple of screen shots in which the picture is much more defined but this one was the best all around. Due to dial-up web service I had to make a single choice of shots, or else sit here all night for the upload.

If I could only get the sound to be louder this set would be 100%:thmbsp: Wide open volume to hear across the room...:thumbsdn:

Sandy G
02-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Great ! What year is this set ?

M3-SRT8
02-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Did you try fiddling with the Input Switch, if it has one? Sometimes, when dirty, they can kill Sound Output. My DuMont had that problem.

Great TV. Nice resto job, BTW. Assuming it needed cosmetics.

LJB:smoke:

Dan Starnes
02-20-2009, 03:32 PM
That is very cool!
Dan

Tubejunke
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey folks, thanks for the good words. The set I am fairly certain is a 1949 or 1950 model. The picture actually did do the cosmetic situation some justice as there are a few dents and dings, mainly on the top and around the speaker grille, but the set still is very presentable in the living room, and fun to watch.

As far as an "input switch" goes I am not aware of the set having one. I did the recap and resistor job myself, along with replacing the power transformer. I probably missed a resistor somewhere that has drifted, or maybe one of the micamold caps that I think we all tend to overlook may be at fault as far as the sound problem goes. The sound is clear and increases somewhat after 15 or 20 minutes of use. Just low volume....

M3-SRT8
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey folks, thanks for the good words. The set I am fairly certain is a 1949 or 1950 model. The picture actually did do the cosmetic situation some justice as there are a few dents and dings, mainly on the top and around the speaker grille, but the set still is very presentable in the living room, and fun to watch.

As far as an "input switch" goes I am not aware of the set having one. I did the recap and resistor job myself, along with replacing the power transformer. I probably missed a resistor somewhere that has drifted, or maybe one of the micamold caps that I think we all tend to overlook may be at fault as far as the sound problem goes. The sound is clear and increases somewhat after 15 or 20 minutes of use. Just low volume....

As far as Mica Caps are concerned, I'm going to replace ALL of them in my current projects, and all my future ones. I'm going thru the 630TS right now. Just did all the 270 pF/1000 volt ones. New ones are Epoxy dipped silver micas. Old ones tested quite good, BTW, except one. But, when they heat up, who knows?

Why not? There's usually only a dozen or so, frequently less that that. I have a whole pile coming in from two vendors as we speak. I mean, those sync, sweep, and amp circuits can mean the difference between a fidgity TV and a solid performer.

Again, Nice RCA Victor you have there. Have fun with it.

LJB:smoke: