View Full Version : I've had a idea!

mr_fixer
02-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Today I placed an ad in my local craigslist under the wanted section. The ad states "I'm looking for antique round screen color tv sets" I included a picture of my Admiral to show what i mean a rounded screen. In less than 1 day I've already talked to a lady who wants to gut a Zenith to make a buffet table out of a 60/70's AM/FM stereo tv combination. My point is if all of us run ads in our local Craigslists wanted section we might save a few vintage and rare sets from extinction. Logan

Aussie Bloke
02-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Awesome idea mate!!! Want ads over the net and in the paper is a great way to go and I hope members in here will follow the trend.

Me living in Australia makes it impossible for me to place want ads for roundie colour sets as I don't have the money to get one freighted to Australia but maybe one day.

Dan Starnes
02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
That is a great idea. I put my name in at a large Antique Mall yesterday where I bought a tv. The lady told me that people love to make cabinets out of these old things. I left her my card for her to call me anytime an old tv comes in.
Dan

radiotvnut
02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I just left my name with a new flea market vendor that I met today. She says that she sees TVs, radios, and cabinet stereos at estate sales at often giveaway prices; but, she does not buy them due to lack of demand. She said if she saw anything; she'd either grab it for me or call me and let me know where it is.

I've got a CL ad up right now. The only two calls I got was from some guy wanting to sell me a '70's Polaroid camera (I didn't even mention cameras in the ad) and a woman wanting to sell me a modern BPC Toshiba TV.

mr_fixer
02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Do you have a picture of a roundie on your advert? It might help filter out the people who don't understand, worth a shot at least, logan
Here is my ad for reference,
http://nashville.craigslist.org/wan/1034481811.html

bgadow
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
The photo should be a big help; I've run ads many times but never with any success. Just a bunch of wild goose chases which ended up being 80s consoles. It is very difficult to describe what we are looking for accurately enough that the average person gets it.

I did send out a flyer to all the local thrift stores featuring a photo of a color roundie. My only response was a volunteer at one store who ended up having some BPC.

TubeType
02-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Here is something you should consider.
Use the term "OLD TV", rather than "ANTIQUE TELEVISION".
When people see the words "ANTIQUE TELEVISION", they think "$$$$".
When they see the words "OLD TV", they think "JUNK".

Personally, I'd rather haul away their "JUNK", rather than give them my "$$$$".

Terry Cheek

andy
02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
---

mr_fixer
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Here is something you should consider.
Use the term "OLD TV", rather than "ANTIQUE TELEVISION".
When people see the words "ANTIQUE TELEVISION", they think "$$$$".
When they see the words "OLD TV", they think "JUNK".

Personally, I'd rather haul away their "JUNK", rather than give them my "$$$$".

Terry Cheek
I hope the word antique might eliminate the 80's and 90's sets. driving to 10 different houses at 100 miles per house to pick up a disposable BPC would be almost the same money as one person with a truly early set who wanted $$$$ for it, plus you save some time and time is money. At least that is my theory.
Logan

Phil Nelson
02-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Have them phone you and describe the set while looking at it, or have them send you a digital photo in email. Not rocket science.

Phil

AUdubon5425
02-17-2009, 06:13 AM
I changed my wanted ad to state "pre-1980," as the people calling me seem to think anything with a CRT is "old." Sorry, I really can't use a 2005 Broksonic.

TubeType
02-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Have them phone you and describe the set while looking at it, or have them send you a digital photo in email. Not rocket science.

Phil

Phil,
You are correct!
Make the contact, set up the lines of communication via phone, email or even snail-mail. Ask for a description or a photo. Ask whether they know someone who has a set that meets your description.
As Phil said, "Not rocket science."

"Spending $1.00 on the front-end of a transaction, could save you $100 on the back-end."

Terry Cheek

bgadow
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I will try to get a photo or if that's not possible I will ask if they can get me a model number, or a build date. If the date is stamped on the back you can bet it's too new, anyway. It sure isn't easy; I've posted photos of an Admiral color roundie; said I wanted nothing newer than early 70s; that it should have knobs. Still, I get replies from people with 80s NAP consoles. Someday, though, I will catch something fishing this way, I think!