View Full Version : Weird TV

cork
07-05-2004, 02:48 AM
Charlie,

The weirdest stuff shows up here in Spokane. This is the candidate for the RCA 21 inch CRT, to replace the 19 inch thing that's in it. Not the customizing to the CRT socket and exhaust tip that the last keeper of this set awarded it.

Steve D.
07-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Hey Cork,

That's the backside of a CBS Columbia 205 color set. It looks pretty stock to me. Nice rare set and looks clean.

Steve

cork
07-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Steve,

Yor are exactly right. It is pretty much the way some old sevice guy left it 45 years ago, half pulled apart with a few tubes pulled out. Almost al of the tubes are CBS, which to me says it wasn't in service too terribly long. But the next guy to get it was a little clumbsy..broke the exhast tip and socket off of it. I don't know what it's going to do about accepting a 21inch RCA tube. It'll will fit well enough, but convergence and stuff?
This old thing is all there down to the correct knobs.

Tubejunke
07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Why are you even thinking of altering this set at all? Is it because of the socket base broke off the crt? Looks like the tube is still under vacum. You can replace the socket pretty easy if theres enough wire sticking out from the gun for a connection.
It would be very difficult if not impossible to swap in anything but a recomended cross reference. That looks like a rare and vealueable set. I think it would be better off and more desireable with a broken original crt than butchered to accept some other tube. Somebody should be able to get you a tube for that set. May be expensive. That set is probably worth the investment. Where are you coming up with all these great sets?

Tube

cork
07-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Tube,

You get around, B & W, ancient color... . As I mentioned its former owner broke the exhaust tip, along with the socket, off of the CRT. So it's full of air. I talked to Video Display in Dallas about it and they won't touch it if it's aired up, and they say they don't have any guns for it (19VP22),although it looks like a 21FJP22, which they will do.

I am all ears if anyone knows where there is a 19VP22 on the loose, but I don't think there are too many around. Steve Mcvoy mentions in his website stuff that there is one (CBS)around with a bad tube. And so it's well known there is a need for one.

I hate so-called "static displays". It should be able to work to show its stuff to the best of its ability. After all its architecture isn't that neat, so it's got to work.

Actually the way this set is put together isn't very refined. It's like a proto. The CRT is mounted on a wood stoneboat that slides onto the cabinet shelf, and is bolted down. I was figuring on just pulling the stoneboat with the CRT still hooked on it, and building another stoneboat that will fit both the 21FJP22 and the shelf without modifying any of the original stuff. The replacement tube is one inch bigger than the original. The new tube has to fit the original face mask, since both tubes are spherical, just a slightly different radius.

As for how I came up with this stuff: I got tired of putting up with all the ebay mesrep's and freight destruction. So I spent a Suday scouting around right here in Spokane, where nobody care about old TVs. At the end of the day, I had a Philco 49-1150, 2 CTC5s, and the CBS. And the Stromberg came a couple days later-for nothing.

bgadow
07-06-2004, 10:04 AM
The method you mention for mounting the 21" sounds perfect, since it would be 100% reversible (right?) and you could just stash the old crt & mount in case its ever needed. A great, great find.

andy
07-06-2004, 10:43 AM
---

cork
07-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Hi Andy,

The main problem they seem to have with old , aired-up CRTs is bits of junk in the tube, such as little pieces of glass, and after a while, the dag inside the tube deteriorates in the presence of air, and starts to fall off. Baking them is a standard part of rebuilding. They bake them to try to get the air to come loose from everything while they are pumping. After they do the pump down and blow the getter(s), they activate the cathode in much the same way that we "rejuvinate" them, lots of heater overvoltage, and pulses of high cathode current to remove surface inactive stuff from the cathode. There used to be a place here in town that was pretty good at this rebuilding stuff, including tri-color tubes. But they were done-in by the crush of cheap stuff from Asia. The trouble is the cheap Asian stuff seems to keep on working almost indefinitely, until people just throw away sets with perfectly good bright CRTs.

Steve D.
07-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Cork,

You may know that Motorola produced the bulk of the 19" color sets in the mid-fifties. I believe CBS Columbia was next. Hoffman made a few and I have a rare 19" Capehart with the 19VP22. Check my web page.
I know Motorola offered a 21" conversion kit for their 19" sets. The tube base is the same and should be a direct swap. The mounting hardware and mask as you point out, are the challenge. If the 21AXP22A in one of the CTC 5's are good, you can certainly use it in the CBS set. and perhaps adapt the 21AX mounting hardware. Also a 21CY or 21FB will work.
Interesting project.

Tubejunke
07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cork But the next guy to get it was a little clumbsy..broke the exhast tip and socket off of it.

It took me a while to get what "exaust tip" meant. Now I get it. Duh!!:dunno: Anyway along with some others I like the idea of doing a reversable repair. You never know someone may have one of those still sitting around. I know where an old country repair shop is at that is two stories full of 40s through 80s sets and equipment. The original repairman is dead and the stuff was left to his son. I have his phone # but I have not tried to go up and go through the stuff. Really I dont want to go look at all the wonderful things that I dont have the space to bring home. I need to at least check it out in case of real treasure like your color set or a nice double d table model black and white which I cant find around here. TV didnt catch on around here till around 1952. After the roundie.......

cork
07-07-2004, 12:45 AM
SteveD,

Thanks for the info on the 19 inch CRTs. Was there only the
19VP22 and no other 19 inch CRT?
The CTC5s that are around here both have pretty bad old CRTs, each with a low gun. I was thinking of a glass tube, like a
21FJP22. Charlie volunteered a dud. So we will give Video Display Devices a chance at it. I wouldn't mind seeing this old CBS work. It is one of the types with full BW chroma, demodulates in phase with I and Q. And if its designers got anything worked out right,it should have good video BW with 5 video IFs and two liminance video amplifiers.

Steve McVoy
07-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Don't expect the convergence to work very well. In their 21 inch modification for their 19VP22 set, Motorola added an extra device on top of the yoke with a couple of ajdustments, plus a dynamic blue lateral magnet connected in series with the horizontal yoke winding.

andy
07-07-2004, 11:08 AM
---

Chad Hauris
07-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Also...it looks like the blue convergence coil is on the bottom of the 19" round tube rather than the top, as is customary with the 21" round tubes. I have seen some of the low focus voltage 14, 15, and 18" portable color tubes with the blue gun on the bottom, but have seen no other round set like this.

andy
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
---

Charlie
07-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cork
Charlie volunteered a dud. So we will give Video Display Devices a chance at it. I wouldn't mind seeing this old CBS work. It is one of the types with full BW chroma, demodulates in phase with I and Q. And if its designers got anything worked out right,it should have good video BW with 5 video IFs and two liminance video amplifiers.

Hey Cork,

Looks like i am making a trip to Dallas, and will drop off this 21FJP at VDC. It's yours for the having if you would like it. ;)