View Full Version : I dream of TVs

Carmine
06-30-2004, 07:02 AM
I had a wierd dream the other night that I thought you all might enjoy (or use as evidence that I'm nuts).

I dreamt that I found some kind of thrift-store in Detroit that used to be a YMCA building (thus huge and old). In one of the rooms, I found dozens of old TVs, but because I had walked to this store, I couldn't take any of them home with me.

Of particular interest was the Zenith set that I've photoshopped below. It was a roundie that produced an incredible picture when I turned it on. Appearantly, this was some kind of VHF-only hybrid that used only 9 tubes, as the strange emblem proclaimed. It was housed in a rather cheap, all grey metal cabinet.

Naturally when I returned with my truck, all the TVs were gone. :(

Chad Hauris
06-30-2004, 07:13 AM
There is a thrift store here in Midland that used to be an Elks or Eagles lodge...it still has a hardwood dance floor. Have been in an antique store that used to be a school, in Ohio.

Sandy G
06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I remember having a dream a few years back that I was a kid visiting New York City in the late '60s w/my parents, & we went down this one street & there were all these shops full of teeny, tiny Tvs, color & B& W. They all wanted to come home w/me, but my old man wouldn't spring for any of 'em. Seems likie they were gonna be dumped in the ocean, if somebody didn't rescue them. Boy, Sigmund would have a field day w/me !! -Sandy G.

jasonlava
06-30-2004, 08:57 AM
I dream of old TVs alot too.

My most recent one was I was at someone's house and they were watching a football game. I looked at the TV and it was some new "black box" tv.

I turned around and looked again and there was what looked like a miniature Motorola Quasar TV, Works in the drawer, withthe UHF buttons, only it looked like it shrunk to a little bitty 12" screen.

I dream alot about my parent's old RCA TV. Also I dream alot about a Zenith from the 70s with the one knob tuning and the sliding volume knob.

Don't get me started on console stereoes, appliances, and falling elevators (that I finally learned how to control in my dreams).

Charlie
06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Carmine,

That's a pretty impressive photo you've put together of that Zenith. They probably should have made one just like it!

Simple constuction... simple design... probably would have out-lasted all of the rest!

bgadow
06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, the picture of the "9 tube" is about 9 times better than what I would have created! As a kid I dreamt a few times about a Zenith rectangular color set from the late 60s that was supposed to be in my parent's room. My picture of that set was pretty accurate, but I have no idea where I got it from. I don't recall anyone having any kind of Zenith TV when I was a kid. A few times I've dreamt of holding a crt that was powered up; once dreamt of a desk that had a color console in it, so that the woman sitting at the desk was straddling the crt neck (analyze that one!) and I recall thinking that it would be bad for her health. (honest, thats all I was thinking!) Then there is the dream where there is an outside dump filled with all sorts of stuff, including tv sets, and it develops that it is being constantly replenished with new stock but I can never seem to bring any of it home.

Charlie
06-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Now that a few people had fessed up to having dreams about tvs, now I don't feel so bad about admitting to the same thing. I have had a few dreams about my grandmother's old Zenith roundie... in the dream it was working while it was actually not in real life.

My God we're nerds! :D

Sandy G
07-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Oh yeah?!? Well, try this one-& tell me I'm not about half nuts...About 15 years ago a buddy & me went to Kingsport & had a big Mexican dinner. Came home went to bed, & had this crazy-ass dream. I was in Pittsburgh airport in 1968. All the taxis were '68 or earlier models, & the women were wearing the short skirts & the guys had skinny ties, etc. Anyhow, everything was green-the walls, floor, even the people had a green cast to 'em. I smelled diesel very strongly. I asked a guard, "Why do I smell diesel?" He looked at me like I was nuts, & says, "This is Pittsburgh Dieselfoot Airport, you dope!" There were all thes bunny rabbits running around & I grabbed one & put him in this file cabinet, which turned out to be an oven & this po'ed the guard, as that was his favorite bunny..Nothing else really happened, no tvs or nothin-except the monitors, & yep, they were green, too. Them Mexicans must have put way too much peyote in whatever I ate.-Sandy G.

jasonlava
07-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Sandy G
Oh yeah?!? Well, try this one-& tell me I'm not about half nuts...About 15 years ago a buddy & me went to Kingsport & had a big Mexican dinner. Came home went to bed, & had this crazy-ass dream. I was in Pittsburgh airport in 1968. All the taxis were '68 or earlier models, & the women were wearing the short skirts & the guys had skinny ties, etc. Anyhow, everything was green-the walls, floor, even the people had a green cast to 'em. I smelled diesel very strongly. I asked a guard, "Why do I smell diesel?" He looked at me like I was nuts, & says, "This is Pittsburgh Dieselfoot Airport, you dope!" There were all thes bunny rabbits running around & I grabbed one & put him in this file cabinet, which turned out to be an oven & this po'ed the guard, as that was his favorite bunny..Nothing else really happened, no tvs or nothin-except the monitors, & yep, they were green, too. Them Mexicans must have put way too much peyote in whatever I ate.-Sandy G.

That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

Last night I dreamed my dad was listening to his records on a 70s stereo (one of those flat looking ones).

Tubejunke
07-02-2004, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasonlava
[B]That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

I was thinking L.S.D. What is MSG. Does the government give out free doses to see if they can call it medicine like they did L.S.D. Funny how moral and justified certain things are as long as they are regulated by the government. If they find no way to peddle the stuff as some new kind of high priced miracle drug like say Viagara then it becomes bad, wrong, or even worse illegal. Either way they make a lot of $$ off the stuff. Pharmacy or courthouse. Controlled enviornments turning major profit off of YOU......
I better quit before I end up with an Arlo Guthrie song:zoom:

jasonlava
07-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Tubejunke
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasonlava
[B]That's usually what happens when you sink down alot of MSG. Weird dreams.

I was thinking L.S.D. What is MSG. Does the government give out free doses to see if they can call it medicine like they did L.S.D. Funny how moral and justified certain things are as long as they are regulated by the government. If they find no way to peddle the stuff as some new kind of high priced miracle drug like say Viagara then it becomes bad, wrong, or even worse illegal. Either way they make a lot of $$ off the stuff. Pharmacy or courthouse. Controlled enviornments turning major profit off of YOU......
I better quit before I end up with an Arlo Guthrie song:zoom:

MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a preservative/flavor enhancer that they put in certain foods like Doritos, chinese food, etc.

It's known to make you have really weird dreams if you eat something with MSG right before bedtime.

By the way, I dreamed about an old TV last night. Couldn't tell what brand but it was old, looked like 70s rectangular. I was cleaning it with Windex.

Charlie
07-02-2004, 08:19 PM
MGD does me the same :beer: :beerchug: :beer:

andy
07-02-2004, 11:24 PM
---

Sandy G
07-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Yeah, pretty sure it was the MSG that did it. Most of the time, it just put me "on the go", but this time it gave me a very good ride indeed. I don't remember, but I must have watched "Bullitt" recntly, because most of the airport stuff looked a lot like it did in that movie. Except I had it in my mind I was in Pittsburgh. I have absolutely no idea why. At that point, I'd never been there, & had no desire to go. -Sandy G.

Aussie Bloke
07-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Wow this is a cool thread. Yeah when you are right into something you even dream about it. Love the Zenith set, kind of reminds me of that 1965 Sony monitor used for the Sony CV-2000 VTR shown on a brochue at Labguysworld video site except not as round.

Anyways as an old VCR/VTR collector I occasionally dream about VCRs particularly of the 1970s Philips N1500 to N1700 VCR format. And also I've dreamt about live scenes of my favourite pop music show "Countdown" particularly of the 1975 era and also dreamt of finding lost footage of that show too.

Getting back on track of the thread, I've dreamt about roundies a couple of times when I was 14 back in 1995 and I only once seen a CT-100 in a book then. Firstly I dreamt of what looked to be a round TV (not sure how round from memory) I think was colour, though only partly exposed in a cabinet (cloth covered the rest) and it had below the speaker grill "Sharp" yet it looked a bit like that Sony monitor for the CV-2000 VTR partly shown here http://www.labguysworld.com/CV-2000_015.jpg except rounder.

Then not so many weeks later I was watching a Freddy Kruger movie at my uncle's which one of the scenes had an early 60s twin speaker roundie (probably a 1962 Zenith or some early 60s RCA CTC set) where one of the guys was on it with an egg saying "this is your brain" hehehe and then Freddy appears on the set in some psychedelic background, later on blood pours out of the set :eek: .

Anyways that movie is what got me into roundie colour sets and some months later had a real weird dream of a roundie. Now this was pretty far out, the colour set was not convex roundie, it is how should I say "concave" at the sides, the sides curve in not out :eek: !!! how weird is that???

Pretty weird for an Aussie to have dreams about American roundies when only have seen two real examples in media at the time!!!

Anyways thought I'd share that with yous. And lastly I even sometimes for fun when I was 14/15 adjusted my computer monitor to make the sides convex to give it the roundie look hehehehehe.

Cheers
Troy

Aussie Bloke
07-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Okay. Here's a rough example of the concave colour TV I dreamt about though the curves were more rounder and the edges of the CRT were sharper. The TV didn't look like this set but something similar and a bit smaller.

I bet you's are gonna think I must of been sniffing the turps or the petrol at the local servos to have a dream like this hehehe.

Cheers
Troy

Carmine
07-07-2004, 01:41 PM
I bet you's are gonna think I must of been sniffing the turps or the petrol at the local servos to have a dream like this

Actually, I'm guessing most of us won't know what the hell you're talking about! :D Just kidding, I love downunder slang. (Actually, I'd really want to see Australia some day... Looks beautiful, and always makes me think of what the US would be like if the British had won. One of the few countries outside of North America with cool cars too... Pick me up a Valiant Charger if you see one cheap Aussie Bloke!)

Carmine <<< Parents have an Aussie Sheppard, I might get an Australian Cattledog. Also likes Outback Steakhouse.

I'm glad to know (or perhaps scared) that so many others have had TV dreams! I guess the thing that stood out most to me was the idea of manufactuers boasting about how "few" tubes their hybrid sets had. Must have been thinking about that before falling asleep. If only it worked that way for the women I enjoy looking at! :)

Also glad to hear SOMEBODY besides me remembers that scene in Nightmare on Elmstreet 3-D with the smashed-up Zenith that comes back to life, then pours blood! I saw that around age 21, and was on a first date... I actually said (outloud) "Cool! I have one just like that!" :rolleyes: I really did. It was the model of Zenith roundie that had diagonal VHF/UHF controls. I eventually had to toss that one because of space concerns. IF ONLY THIS GROUP EXISTED BACK THEN!!! :withstpd:

tv beta guy
07-17-2004, 04:29 PM
At my grandfathers, there is a full size Olypmic HiFi console stereo from around 1960 or so. Well in my dream, the front of it opened up to reveal an Olympic roundie color TV. And we never even knew this thing had a TV in it to begin with for the past 40 some years. So I get it up and playing, playing quite well, and then I look down inside the TV, and all the tube sockets burst into flames! Then I woke up... That was bizarre:rolleyes:

Now, Olympic made mainly HiFi consoles and a few B&W sets, but not color TVs, right?

bgadow
07-19-2004, 10:10 AM
I once happened across a dump pile way back in the woods that had been used in the 70s by a tv repairman. There were the remains of a couple roundies back there, at least (IIRC) and one of them was an Olympic. I remember reading a Consumer Reports test of color tvs, late 60s, and they flunked the Olympic because it gave off excessive radiation.

jasonlava
07-19-2004, 10:44 AM
I one time remember dreaming of seeing a diamond shaped TV. At first I thought it was a mirror until the screen went blank and started showing a tv show.

Come to find out, I was actually in that weird half-asleep half-awake state and I was seeing my real TV only from about a 45 degree angle.

bgadow
08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Dream from last week: I'm in some sort of warehouse, I think it was part of a museum, and my father & my wife are there, among others. There are all these old console radios & tvs. I keep finding one after another, but they have all been gutted. Finally I find one in a pile of stuff, its an upright radio-style console, sort of a combination of some prewar RCA's and of a Stromberg Carlson radio I have. Like the S-C it has a pair of doors at the top. In the dream it was a Philco and it was prewar. There was a 3" screen above the doors at the top, and when you opened the doors there was a 10" screen behind them. There was a note on the set saying it worked, and I may have even had it working. I was scared of it because I had heard that the hv systems on prewar sets were particularly dangerous and I could tell by looking at the chassis that it was a different animal. Someone in charge told me it was for sale for, I think, $15, and I was very, very concerned about making this purchase and getting that set home before a)they scrapped it or b)they decided not to sell it.

Sandy G
08-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Usually when I dream & can remember it, I'm buck-ass nekkid in front of a whole bunch of people that I shouldn't be buck-ass nekkid in front of, or have something chasing me who looks like a Goon off one of the old "Popeye" cartoons.Remember "Goon Island" ?<grin> -Sandy G.

jasonlava
08-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Here's one from last night:

I dreamed I found a Zenith Chromacolor TV, only when I took it apart to fix it. It fell to pieces.

The next minute my mom had come home and she brought in an RCA CTC48 (like the one Captainmoody found), except that it had digital tuning LOL. It had the toggle on/off switch and the knobs but instead of channel knobs, it had a keypad and a 2 digit LED display like the later RCA models.

maxm
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
When I was little, I still remember having a dream about my grandma's old RCA late 60s color console in the den that didn't work. In the dream, I remember that it was working with a perfect picture, and it was tuned to a PBS news show, that used to be on. I remember trying to push the TV into the kitchen, to show my Mom and Grandma that it was really working, and they should watch it, but nobody listened to me, or looked at the TV.
Sadly, that TV was thrown out when she moved:( , but I have a picture of it somewhere.

maxm
08-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Here's one from last night...

I was in our basement, looking at a TV that had been down there for a while, I don't know where it came from.
It was a mid 50s DuMont wood table top set with a rectangular tube.
I tried to turn it on, and it came on with a perfect color picture, and I was really suprised that it was color. Then I realized that it had buttons for the controls, like on a new TV, but inside, it was all tube...
Then I woke up...............:dunno:

andy
09-18-2004, 11:26 PM
---

colortrakker
09-22-2004, 03:27 PM
This one's REALLY bizarre:

I was browsing some kind of antiquey/consigny type store and there was an RCA set in a black cabinet. There were doors over the screen. There were three clear light bulbs sticking up from the tan metal back - a red one, a blue one, and a green one - supposedly to tell you it was a color set. Must've been a one-off demo model. I fully expected a roundie, but the tube behind the doors turned out to be a 23" Zenith inline from the '70s. Appeared to have an OK picture.

Sounds like I'm overdue for some medicine. Or extra sleep. Or something.

Sandy G
09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
The TV I have dreams about ? That 40" Sony XBR-Yeah, baby !! That one or a CT-100...I really, really, REALLY wanna have a working 1950's color set someday... Yeah, I know.....I'm a SICK INDIVIDUAL....-Sandy G.

bgadow
01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Had another dream so I dredged this thread back up:
I meet Dick Cavett (!) and he has the same Zenith as Krimney; he bought it new. We have a great conversation, the tv works great. Just as I used to when I was a kid, I turn down the sound, stick my ear up to the side of the cabinet & listen to the hum of the chassis. I noted that it didn't hum very loud, at least not compared to our old GE KE chassis console.

(dream was courtesy of eating one sleeve of Chip's Ahoy before going to bed. Your results may vary!)

(Dick Cavett appeared courtesy of my quest to find copies of his 80s radio program, "the Comedy Show", and the fact that I lost out on a pile of them on ebay last week.)

asynchronousman
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I don't recall TV dreams. I had a recurring dream with a dire ending until I somehow resolved it, I rode in a city bus in the early 70s with my aunt and mother and it got stopped by the police and they were arrested--they I flew over town and gas was 38.9, I was sitting in my room in my underwear then suddenly riding a bike past an old school in the dark...no TVs.

I wasn't asleep and I was singing "Angie Baby" by Helen Reddy in the back of a 1974 AMC Matador (AM only). Wonder what my folks were thinking at the time...

I watched KTRV 12 go on the air in my bedroom with a small b/w portable in the 1981 when just turning the dial. That was not something I normally do, go up to 12 and 13 knowing full well there wasn't one there. 9 was the last assignment on the dial. That was a dream come true in the daze when signals didn't pop up like spyware...

tv beta guy
01-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Last night I had a strange TV dream. I found out in the middle of the woods an abandoned railroad car of some sorts. The inside was filled with late 60's color metal cabinet sets. Just when I get all excited, I find all the backs are missing, along with all the picture tube necks snapped off. All except 2. My dream then jumps to my grandfather's house where I have the 2 good TVs. But then, the TVs somehow transformed into 2 big, old microwaves from the 70's. Then I talked about where I was going to use the microwaves, then I woke up shortly after.....

Cory
01-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Mike, interesting dream... I just had to laugh...I've got two tube Zeniths sitting in the driveway and a '79 Radarange at the front door. You know what they say, truth can be stranger than fiction : )

bgadow
01-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Went ahead and finished off the other half a bag of cookies and dreamt that everyone in this one neighborhood near here had old radios & tv's sitting out on the curb. I finally stopped in the one house, where my great aunt/uncle live. I felt guilty because he is in poor health (the truth) and was working hard to fix me supper & all I could think about was how he was going to give me this tv set (an early 60s metal cabinet bw Philco table set, big & heavy-an ex girlfriend of mine had this set) and he also had this late 40s RCA radio/phono console he had bought new, and it interested me a lot since it was something of a family heirloom. By the end of the day I was having one heck of a time hauling it all home!

No more cookies left for the "cookie monster" so maybe I'll dream of something different now!

asynchronousman
01-21-2005, 04:10 AM
I dream of WHAT's ON the TV

asynchronousman
01-21-2005, 04:15 AM
And this one...

asynchronousman
01-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Especially THIS one...

Sandy G
01-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Oh, come on you guys-MARCIA ! MARCIA ! MARCIA !!! <grin>-Sandy G.

asynchronousman
01-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Oh, come on you guys-MARCIA ! MARCIA ! MARCIA !!! <grin>-Sandy G.

Don't remind me of my ex... :lmao:

Sadly, though the woman who inspired Mary Ellen passed away last year, as did "Jim-Bob". According to the official website, "Grandpa and Grandma" are far and away the most popular characters from that series. I've rarely seen a actress who had more fun with her character than Barbara Eden...except maybe Shirley Jones : )

BTW, the fog here in Boise is as think as bean with bacon soup...I can EAT that... :lmao:

Eric H
01-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Sadly, though the woman who inspired Mary Ellen passed away last year, as did "Jim-Bob".

Jim Bob is survived by his Great grandson "Sponge Bob" :rofl:

asynchronousman
01-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Are you sure it wasn't...

rca2000
01-24-2005, 03:17 AM
I had a pre-dream last week(That is where you are kind of dreaming, but not yet fully asleep yet), where my Cousin terry called me, to tell me that there was an old buliding in New york, that someone had told him about. he is an artist, and an art teacher, and makes trips to NY occasionaly.

Anyhow, he told me an old building was being prepped for demolition, and someone came across a sealed-off room full of tv's, like a small warehouse. One of his theater friends was in there, getting some fixtures and such, and hapened upon the room. At first, the workers removing the fixtures thought to just bust the old tv's and such, in a little party, but then, he had remembered that Terry had spoken of a Nephew(me), who likes old tv,radios, and such. So, he called Terry, and Terry called me. he said his friend said that the building had been an RCA/GE distributor, speciallizing in color tv repair, till around 1960, and the room had been sealed off since then. His friend said there were at least 20 or more floor model tv's in there, along with a bunch of "boxes in the corner." Terry told me that, in four days, the wrecking ball was comng, and everything I wanted would have to be out by then.

SO,thinking there might be something good there, I got a plane ticket, and went to NY, near the old "radio district", where the building was. I went into the room where the tv's were, not quite knowing what to expect.

Lined up against the walls were(4) Ct-100's, Pristine, with good crt's, (2) model 5 rca color sets, also with good crt's, (2) 21-ct-55s, several trk-5's 9's and 12', (2) ctc-5', a ctc4, (3) ctc-7's,, a couple of westinghouse 15" color sets, a westinghouse 22" rect color, a couple of Motorola color sets, 19" and even a COUPLE of prewar hm-225(IIRC) ge sets, along with a lot of 50's model BW sets, and several 630-type and a couple of rca 621ts's. There was even a Zenith prototype color from 1953, or whenever, like the one on this site, and a CBS mechanical color set, from 1951.ALL of them, of course, were in PRISTINE condition, with good crt's.

And the "boxes in the corner"-- they were CRT'S-- (8) 15gp22's, ALL unopened, (and later checked perfect), and two 21axp22's , and 2 21cyp22's, all perfect. In front of these, were four used crt's- two more 15gp22's, and 2 21cyp22's-- of course these were also perfect. there were also some more common BW crt's, like 21" rect, and some 12lp4's, etc.

Behind these were a number of chassis from tv's from the 50's, including several ct-100 types, and even a couple of trk chassis., along with a couple of 12ap4 crt's.

Needless, to say, this was a PLATINUM, (not gold)mine! I got hold of a friend of mine, and a fellow collector, and then, arranged for a rental of a truck to bring it all home. Word got out, through this site, and several of the tv guys around the country, came together, and made me an offer on the whole lot, (minus a ctc5, ctc-7, and one 621ts, for myself), for $200K, which I gladly accepted!

Then I started coughing, from Sinus, and woke up. If only It would happen in reality. A find like that would be the FIND OF THE MILINEUM, for certain.

asynchronousman
01-24-2005, 08:12 AM
I've got a 12LP4A and the filament reads about 1.5V (low but still useful) and it's packed (see Packing and shipping) if anybody actually needs it (I don't have the chassis anymore)...It's a GE not the DuMont (it replaced one I'm told in a Stromberg Carlson set).

Adam
12-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I was searching through the old stuff, and I had to revive this one. I dream of old TV's all the time!
I frequently dream that I am watching a TV and then I look behind it and see it isn't plugged in.
I also frequently dream of my first TV, a mid-60's Zenith b&w portable. I really liked that TV. I wish I still had it. My Grandfather gave it to me back in '85 when he made the switch to color. I am probably the only person of my generation who grew up watching B&W. I used to stay up late on Saturday nights watching reruns of the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits on it.
One time I had a dream that a Zenith color hybrid I had exploded, a week later the flyback started arcing all over the place.
One time I had a dream that this beautiful woman approached me, she had unusually bright blue eyes, she offered to tell me anything I wanted to know, I asked her to tell me how to fix this Setchell-Carlson I was working on (a set that I really do have and fixed several months later). She told me I shouldn't waste such an opportunity on something I was eventually going to figure out by myself anyway. I asked her to explain to me how build a time machine. She told me a bunch of stuff that made no sense to me.
One time I even had a dream that I was at a thrift store that I frequent, I usually find a nice old TV there a few times a year. In the dream, I found a back lot that wasn't there before, it was full of old TV's. The cabinets were all rather damaged, as they had been sitting outside for many years. Most of them were not TVs that actually exist, mostly they all looked like 1920's radio cabinets with 3" CRT's in them. I wandered back to the front of the store to say I wanted to buy all the TVs. But after I got to the front I couldn't find my way back to the TV's again. But I did find two portacolors up front that I bought.
When I woke up, I decided to go directly to that store to see if they had the TV's. They actually had two tube TV's a 59 b&w Magnavox console, and that 68 Panasonic color set.
And don't even get me started on old car dreams. The best one I ever had was a '63 Pontiac Catalina with a 421 from a Bonneville, three deuces, and a factory 4 speed. It had original yellow paint, rather faded, but no rust or major body damage, just a little on the right front where part of the grille was broken.
Once I had a dream I had a '59 T-bird that had been made into a Ranchero with a 392 Hemi engine and a retractable hardtop. It had a TV in the dash.
Another TV dream I just remembered, I was driving a 1978 El-Camino that used to be my uncle's. It was white, 350 engine, TH 350 trans. , it had an AM/FM radio that came out of a '77 Caprice he junked. I pulled up to this big werehouse, an all metal buliding, and I walked inside, it was full from floor to ceiling of old TVs, mostly late 40's early 50's stuff, alot of Zenith portholes.
This makes me remember another TV dream I had just last week. It had that Caprice in it. He still had the Caprice, but it was filled with old TVs and VCRs. Mostly 70s B&W ss portables, one portacolor, and several of those early top-loader VCR's, even two Betas, and a Radar-Range in the back seat.

frenchy
12-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Last night I had a dream where I was in some business or building and me and this other guy were going from area to area in it, but to do that you had to go thru these turnstiles - except instead of walking thru the turnstiles there were two of them up high and you had to hold your arms up and run them thru instead?! And something about if you went thru the wrong one it might chop your arms off or something. Make sense of this one!

tv beta guy
12-04-2005, 06:25 PM
My recent TV dream I had a few weeks ago... Several of my oldest TVs were outside being thrown out in the garbage, along with my grandfather's Olympic Stereo console from 1960 or so.

I woke up and thought it happened for real, only to look over and see that the TVs are still there on their shelves :)

Oh yeah, just rememberd, I did have one last night as well. What was going on didn't make any sense, but a few of my TVs were displaying commercials from the 70s, but I remember my dad asking me "How many TVs do you have in your room right now?"..."21" and then I woke up.

dr.ido
12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I've dreamt of TVs before, but it's almost always pretty weird. The last one I remember I was fighting off some contestant off Australian Idol with a pointy stick who was trying to stop me from taking a CT-100 out of a dumpster. Especially weird considering Australia didn't get color until 1975, so there's absolutely no reason for a CT-100 to be here.

Steve McVoy
12-04-2005, 07:30 PM
No reason for this set to be in Australia either:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1948-Andrea-CVK12.jpg

Someone emailed me last year from Australia who had come across a set like that one, wanting to know when it was made.

So, a CT-100 could be there.

dr.ido
12-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Judging from some of the articles in various issues of Radio, Television & Hobbies (later Electronics Australia) on the difficulties in servicing and modifying foreign TV sets people did bring sets into Australia with their personal effects when they immigrated. From memory all that was usually required with mono sets was the installation of a locally made tuner and a step down transformer for American sets. Usually there was enough adjustment available to get a set intended for 60Hz Vsync to lock onto our 50Hz signal. The problems came later when someone needed to replace a valve that wasn't available.

While it is not impossible that there is a CT-100 out here somewhere I've got my doubts. As far as I know we never considered the NTSC system here. All the early color sets that I saw in magazine articles from before the introduction of color were sets imported from the UK.

Some of the earliest color sets sold here were UK Decca sets fitted with a locally supplied tuner. These were hybrid sets with valves in the horizontal output stage. They were the only color sets I know of that were sold here with valves in them.

I have seen one imported Rank Arena set from the UK that was originally all solid state, but gained a couple of valves after someone fitted a VHF tuner salvaged from a much older mono set.

I see imported UK sets here from time to time, usually more recent ones that were used as-is with a VCR connected to the AV input serving as the tuner.

I've seen a few Japanese sets here that were probably brought over by someone who wasn't aware of the differences. To most people they are totally useless here (100V, NTSC vs. 240V, PAL, and the TV bands are different). I bought one purely so I could run a Japanese Nintendo Famicon that only has an RF output. I've got several modified Famicons with AV outputs, but I wanted to keep one original and run it on a matching TV. So I bought a little 14" Hitachi in a red case that almost perfectly matches the Famicon case color.

Strangely though in all my years spent at junk auctions, markets, and picking stuff up of the street I have only ever seen 1 American set. It was at a junk auction about 15 years ago. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure it was a Portacolor. Unfortunately I didn't buy it. Back then any dead color set brought at least $50. One of the regulars at the time probably bought it, and I dare saw he got a quite a suprise when he took the back off.

Pete Deksnis
12-04-2005, 10:11 PM
While it is not impossible that there is a CT-100 out here somewhere I've got my doubts. There is one known CT-100 in England, one in France, one in Germany, and two in Italy, but so far, none are known to be in Australia.

bgadow
12-20-2005, 03:36 PM
My mother had roped me into going to a dinner party. I had to go down a bunch of back roads to get there & I was really upset because about having to mingle with all these people I didn’t know. After suffering for awhile I walk around to the back of the house & find they are holding a yard sale at the same time. And, yes, they have an old TV! It’s an early 60s 21” BW console with a safety glass & ebony cabinet. The set is on & showing a snowy picture. I tried to make out the brand name but it was cryptic. I determined that it was foreign. Then there was another set (or perhaps the first one morphed into it) and this one had TWO screens-no, wait-THREE screens! It was arranged into a sort of hearth, and in the dream I had seen this model before but not in operating condition. This one worked. The upper screen was about 5’ off the ground & was about 21” but very short; the screen below it was smaller & the one to the right of that was smaller yet. I think they were all just showing snow. It later came to pass that this wasn’t a TV at all; that the screens were some sort of special material and that real people were inside acting. Somehow the screens made it look like they were on TV. Then it was back to the dinner party, to socialize with folks I didn’t care to be with…

Explanation for the above? My mother called yesterday wanting me to go out New Year’s Eve. The back roads likely came from daydreaming about driving the 8 hours down to Dwight’s parents farm to rescue those TV’s! As for the multiple screens, I was just reading, in an old magazine about a prototype RCA had built (c.1970) with a 25” color screen plus 4 small BW screens. Then I was reading here on the forums the explanation of how modern projection TV screens work. Throw together all that, along with a nice, big bowl of oatmeal just before bedtime, & voila! Another crazy TV dream!

captainmoody
12-20-2005, 06:47 PM
My recent TV dream I had a few weeks ago... Several of my oldest TVs were outside being thrown out in the garbage.
Sounds familiar except for me it is NOT a dream...