View Full Version : 67 Zenith Tube socket issue

freakaftr8
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey guys!

Iv'e been really busy with work and all,
Hope all is well!

Well my Zenith color set finally bit the bullet..

The 6BA11 Vert osc/output tube is out
The tube tests well, I turned on the set yesterday and had a vertical raster line accross the screen. Noticed the filiment was dard on the tube, If I move the tube the filiment lights and vertical is restored. I know the filiment or heater id the first 2 pins on the socket on both sides between the setter position.. I checked all connectioons on the bottom of the socket and they are good. I also tried cleaning the socket and tube pins. Have you seen these sockets go bad? Im thinking the connection in the socket between the pin and solder point somehow broke. Or does anyone have a replacement socket?

Thanks!
Shawn

kx250rider
01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I haven't seen the 6BA11 socket fail on those; only the damper socket due to heat and arcing. But any socket can go bad, of course. I have a lot of tube sockets, so if you post a photo, I can look and see...

Charles

Findm-Keepm
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
If it's the 12 pin socket, a Zenith 78-1746 is the socket. Workman also supplied these - perhaps someone has one in their stash. Zenith had some 12 pin sockets that were missing pins - probably for HOTs and Dampers, but in the case of a 6BA11, you'll need all 12 pins.

Cheers,

zenithfan1
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I will look at Chesters today if I get home in time, I have to work tomorrow but they're open Monday, they have NOS sockets of ALL kinds. CHEAP. If they have one, do you want me to pick one up? It's no problem.

freakaftr8
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey thanks guys! I'll post a photo and see if Charles has this socket, and Mark, if he doesn't have one, i'll keep you posted! you guys rock! Thanks again!

andy
01-30-2009, 07:45 PM

kx250rider
01-31-2009, 11:50 AM
That's usually caused by the contacts losing their spring tension. You may be able to bend the contacts back using a small tool like a jeweler's screwdriver.

I've seen this too, but I've also seen the pins crack in the horseshoe bend where the metal tab connects the tube pin socket to the socket wiring terminal. In a pinch, for testing purposes, you could use a troubleshooting Extend-O-Socket and use a clip lead to connect the offending pin directly to the circuit.

Charles

drh4683
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I had to fix a 6LB6 socket because of poor contact. On the zeniths like yours, there is a wafer disk under the socket that holds the pins captive and is secured to the tube socket base with a single rivit in the center. You can drill out that little rivit, and have clear access to the socket pins for bending them out. Simply replace the wafer disk with a small screw and nut and it'll be good as new.