View Full Version : Chassis handling question

jeyurkon
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought I'd better seek the advice of those with experience.

When working on a chassis, is it better to leave the CRT in place or to remove and store it? There are risks both ways. The service manual for this one says that the rubber cushion strip might be glued in place, in which case removal is difficult. They did it on some sets, but not all. They say to use a putty knife, but not between the glass and the strip.

While I don't think I'd need to shift the set around much it would only take a moment of inattention to destroy the CRT.

I seem to remember someone writing about a negative experience with not removing the CRT.

John

bgadow
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I've worked on several makes of sets from that era-Admiral, Andrea, Zenith-that have the crt strapped down, and have never had a problem leaving it in place. Use your best judgement as to how tightly held it is. If they engineered it right that crt won't wiggle around. Most daunting are the bigger tubes-I had a 21" bw Zenith on the bench with this arrangement...but still not an issue.

The tricky ones are RCA's which are mounted to the cabinet, but just barely. I've yet to have one that was secure. Best to use a test tube to bench test them.

7"estatdef
01-29-2009, 05:33 AM
On the RCA's I've made up jumpers to connect the crt, yoke, and hv leaving the crt in the cabinet. Using a thick peice of cardboard on top of the cabinet to protect it the chaiss can go on top.
Terry