View Full Version : Humorous CRT story

jeyurkon
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I've been trying to find a suitable time to drive to Wisconsin to pick up a couple of CRTs I'm buying and while talking to the seller she related this about some CRTs that she was shipping:

One more funny thing I forgot to tell you. While I was repacking my boxes in the lobby of the UPS store, of course everyone who came in asked me what I was doing. When I said that I was sending vintage picture tubes, TWO different customers had no idea what I was talking about. When I explained what they were and where they went in the television, they were totally astonished, and it had never, ever occurred to them that there was a big tube behind the screen, and that surface was part of a giant tube.

John

Sandy G
01-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I guess they thought a troupe of midgets lived back there, & THAT'S what made all the shows...

Dan Starnes
01-24-2009, 01:01 PM
That is pretty funny.
Dan

old_tv_nut
01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Well, there really is *nothing* behind the screen - the CRT is just keeping it that way. :)

zenith2134
01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Haven't you heard? It's all magic.

Weak horizontal drive? Forgot to feed the troupe for a while.....:nono:

steerpike2
01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
We had a teacher at school who used to remind us that Evangelista Torricelli was the greatest scientist to have nothing named after him.

Reece
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Isn't it amazing how some people can go through life and not have enough curiosity to try to find out at least the most basic information about how things work? I call that just being helpless and at the mercy of one's environment, natural or man-made.

Reece

holmesuser01
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I put a new picture tube in my aunts Magnavox in around 1980. The set was about 10 years old, and had been well used. I couldn't get decent tracking on it anymore.

When I pulled out the chassis, my aunt said nothing. She was sitting across the room on her couch. I went to lay the cabinet on its face so I could start removal, she said, "What else is in there?" She got to see it all. She had no clue about the inner workings on TV's.

That set worked for her for another 7 years. I've still got it.

wa2ise
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Evangelista Torricelli was the greatest scientist to have nothing named after him.

No, there was a US congressman from New Jersey named Torricelli. :D

TubeType
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
We had a teacher at school who used to remind us that Evangelista Torricelli was the greatest scientist to have nothing named after him.

Let's see, there's Torricelli's Law and the Torr, a unit of pressure, were named in honor of Evangelista Torricelli.

Terry Cheek

leadlike
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know-the poor Torr is usually an orphaned unit, as most books seem to use millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). They are basically equivalent units, so it is a little excessive to have two units of measurement that do the same thing...

Which brings us back to our original subject-crts! Yeah!