View Full Version : NIB Zenith on eBay!

jstout66
06-25-2004, 02:18 PM
thought I'd pass this along. I seem to remember a few of you having radio's like this listed in your posts. (Paula & Jeffs). I know it's "newer" than the seller has listed in their description. But cool none-the-less. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2252924344&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Paula
06-26-2004, 06:37 PM
That is one nice radio, and yes, it's roughly fifteen years newer than the seller specifies. I seem to remember this exact same item on eBay several months ago. As I recall, it had a fairly high reserve, and I don't know if anyone actually wound up buying it. It would certainly be a nice one to get a holt of (unless, of course, you enjoy the restoration process more than owning a mint example of an excellent table radio ;) )

kc8adu
07-13-2004, 08:35 AM
my dad bought a similar set(different cabinet) in 1968.
it was new then.
mom still has it and it still works fine.
i think i replaced a 35c5 once due to distortion.
i know it had a lot of hours running 24/7 so i will forgive zenith for using a tube that only lasted 20 years:D

jaaani
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Just saw one Zenith AM/FM similar to that one at GW today. How do these tube radios sound? Didn't check the price but I can always go back it being a few blocks away.

They also had a very cool looking Lafeyette table radio circa late seventies.

heathkit tv
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jaaani
Just saw one Zenith AM/FM similar to that one at GW today. How do these tube radios sound? Didn't check the price but I can always go back it being a few blocks away.

They also had a very cool looking Lafeyette table radio circa late seventies.

I might be interested in the Lafayette. What did it look like? Kinda brown face plate with a rounded top edge and silver knobs? How many dead presidents? Thanx

Anthony

jaaani
07-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey heathkit, I really didn't pay much attention to it. I did glance at the back and it had several input outputs to my amazement I would say the dimensions were 12"+/- wideX8"+/- highX6"+/- deep. The face was a dark plastic with the silver knobs all to the side. I don't think the case was rounded like you said but I can go back tomorrow for the model # and more detail like price and such.

heathkit tv
07-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Below is a picture of the vintage of Lafayette stuff I like....it ain't worth a mildewed cat turd, but I like it cuz this is the era I grew up in. Of course this picture is just an example of the general style and am not being specific about the model(s). Thanks!

Anthony

Dynacoman
07-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Growing up in the early seventies, Lafayette was the closest I was gonna get to High Fidelity. My first quad setup was a LA-2525 intergrated amp, all four watts a channel or so.

Jim

jaaani
07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
The Lafayette table radio is listed for $50. The old Zenith was listed for $100. It looked older then the NIB one on ebay possibly early 60's. Both were in good cosmetic condition but I didn't get a chance to hook them up to a power outlet to really check them out. I had a load of lp's i snagged so it was kinda awkward.

The Lafayette radio had a dark wood veneer not plastic. Also, it had a weather button so I guess it has a weather band to boot. The veneer is flawless as is the back boards and power cord. Anyways $50 is out of my price range. I didn't get the model number either, dummy.

Paula
07-14-2004, 07:10 PM
In case anyone is interested, there's one of these Zenith radios (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2256651999&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT) up for sale on eBay. Looks pretty nice, but no bids so far.

Paula

jaaani
07-16-2004, 04:21 PM
This Zenith is just like the one that I saw at Goodwill. What years did this model run? I'd say early 60's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38035&item=2256965071&rd=1

Paula
07-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by jaaani
What years did this model run? I'd say early 60's.

I think you're about right, early to mid-sixties. I have one with a slightly different cabinet style (see this other post (http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18773)). They are wonderful performers, and seem to be readily available. Great to own if you want a reliable vintage radio for day in and day out use.

Paula