View Full Version : *Warnig* Radioactive Dust

MorePower
06-24-2004, 10:42 AM
I was talking with a friend of mine that repairs older televisions and tube radios; he told me about something that I'm not sure of. I asked why you find some greasy black dust in some older TV sets, what exactly was the dust. He said " Don't ever touch the dust inside a TV set, It's radioactive, Very Dangerous". I do not know if he was trying to joke around with me, or if he was serious. He went on to say " a TV set is the most dangerous item in someone's home, that is why the coat the back of the backs with lead". Is he feeding a line of Bull poop? :D

Chad Hauris
06-24-2004, 11:45 AM
I've never heard of radioactive dust in TV's...the only radiation is a low level of x-rays produced by High voltage rectifier and regulator tubes. The metal shielding around these tubes is enough to contain the x-rays, so that an ordinary user is protected from them. There were apparently some h.v. rectifier tubes which actually had a lead coating on them for x-ray shielding, although I have never seen them.

I believe most HV rectifier and regulator tubes, also picture tubes, have leaded glass to control x-rays. The only time I have heard of toxic dust is in some types of microwave tubes such as magnetrons, which may contain beryllium? which is said to be very toxic.

Modern TV's have no HV rectifier tubes, and have x-ray protection circuits to shut down the HV if it goes high enough to produce x-rays in the picture tube.

botrytis
06-24-2004, 12:32 PM
You do have to be careful with the picture tubes because of mercury in the tube (the same goes for light bubls and fluorescent lights). The other thing you need to worry about PBB - polybrominated biphenyls. They are used as insulating material but can cause dust etc. TOXIC!!!

Dave

Charlie
06-24-2004, 01:15 PM
I have often wondered why some places in the set gets greasy. I can understand the dust getting in there, but grease? Maybe it was another WD-40 user? :eek:

botrytis
06-24-2004, 01:18 PM
The grease could be PBB's. Please be careful with that stuff - causes all types of nasty diseases - cancer, etc. We wouldn't want to loose any of the AK family.

Most electronics have PBB's in them untile the mid 80's.

Dave

bgadow
06-24-2004, 03:25 PM
My fifth grade homeroom teacher was a sort of consipiracy theorist/health nut, etc. He said that if you held your arm up to the screen of the tv and changed the channel your hairs would stand on end, and that it was caused by a shot of radiation sent out by the tube. Said that the radiation would go in your arm and stay there, it couldn't get out. Pure b.s., of course, but I really think he believed it. Kinda like with irradiated food, people think it will cause problems, but a radioactive ray can't make something radioactive.

I don't think I'd add that sticky grease from inside a tv to my diet. It wouldn't surprise me if it had PCBs in it. Some of the ooze I've seen from bad can caps can be scary looking, although from what I've read the ones in consumer electronics should be okay.

botrytis
06-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Not they have been using PBB's - that was a major report - www.eia.org/resources/1998-01-01.11.pdf
and www.productstewardship.net/PDFs/productsElectronicsEdesign.pdf and www.nemi.org/roadmapping/ECE_Gap_Analysis_Meeting.pdf

These list all the things that are hardardous in consumer electronics.

Dave

Sandy G
06-24-2004, 04:19 PM
The only things I know of that are actually radioactive are the meter faces in the R-3XX series of recievers. There was a big frou-frou awhile back about it, but then it was realised that no deaths from radiation have ever been attributed to an R-390A, since the amount was so small & you would have to press yr face up against said meter for something like 45 years to get a larger-sized zit. Seems like there was a radiation scare from color TVs back in the early 1960s, but that was solved ages ago. Don't eat the dust in the back of an old radio or TV & youshould have practically nothing to worry ABOUT.-SANDY g.

Tim
06-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I was told years ago that the sticky stuff that holds the dust is actualy nicotine. That is why you see it in some sets and not others. Depends on wheather the owners smoked. Has anyone else heard this?

Charlie
06-24-2004, 06:29 PM
I have a set here that came from a heavy smoker's house, and you can definately see the coating on everything.

The greasy substance that I see occasionally may not necessarily be on the entire chassis. Many times I find it on and around certain tubes (and many times it's in the HV cage).

bgadow said: My fifth grade homeroom teacher was a sort of consipiracy theorist/health nut, etc.

I worked with a guy that was the same way. This was my favorite: he claimed that back in the 70's, the Canadian government could watch you in your home through your television if you had cable! Of course, you had to be in front of the tv for them to see you. This guy firmly believed in this! What a freakin nut!!! :screwy: :screwy:

rca2000
06-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Tv's have dust in them because the HIGH VOLTAGE attracts the dust. And what is this about Mercury in CRT's? True, the phospor in Crt's in somewhat dangerous, but I NEVER heard of mercury in them. Fluroescent lamps do have Mercury, as do Sodium, Mercury vapor,Xenon, and other gas-vapor lamps.

BTW, the MICROWAVE OVEN is the most dangerous item in most peoples homes. the power supply in them produces over 3000 v., at current levels approaching ELECTRIC CHAIR levels!!

Charlie
06-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Jack,

I would assume that everyone here already knows that the dust in the set is attracted by the HV. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that we were trying to figure out where the greasy residue come from that we ocssionally find in the set.

As far as all of the other "wild" sounding theories being discussed here (picture tube putting radiation in the arm, radioactive dust, and the government watchin us), well, those were told to us by someone else that obviously should have kept their mouths shut. It didn't mean we believed them.

Don't lose faith in us my friend! :wave:

Sandy G
06-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Guys- That ain't nothin'. I'll guarantee I could find a few "little old lady" types who won't talk on the phone on the weekend 'cos that's when The Phone Co."Blows the Lines Out." -Sandy G.

Charlie
06-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
I could find a few "little old lady" types who won't talk on the phone on the weekend 'cos that's when The Phone Co."Blows the Lines Out."

i haven't heard that one before, but that's freakin hilarious! :lmao: :nutz: :headscrat :scratch2: :screwy:

gonzothegreat
06-24-2004, 10:11 PM
All this is quite interesting from a cultural standpoint. The whole "TV is bad" concept gets a boost from bad science and other half truths (like all radiation is evil). Remember how your mom said watching TV is bad for your eyes?

An old coworker just told me that he read somewhere that the dust on computers is toxic waste. I'm afraid he actually believed this CRAP. I've seen a local laser printer repair joint claim the static charge on CRTs and laser printers causes headaches, eyestrain and the heartbreak of psoriasis (OK I just made up the last one).

As for the junk that accumulates insides TVs, its just the airsnot that's floating around in the stuff we breathe. I used to work on arcade games and the circuit boards would get caked with whatever was airborne. Nicotine, pizza grease, animal hair, etc. The stuff just precipitates out of the air but more so on HV circuits.

Charlie
06-24-2004, 10:24 PM
This brings an idea to mind. Your old TV (especially tube sets) could now be considered to pull a double-duty. You could watch them, and also could leave them on during the day to clean the air (since they attract the dust).

i try to clean mine out at least once a year with a small brush and the vacuum. After seeing how much actually accumulates every year, it makes me feel better knowing the air in the house is cleaner! :D

Yeah, i know, i have a deranged mind! ;)

Sandy G
06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Guys, I 'tweren't kidding! I remember being told when I was a kid in deadly seriousness NEVER pick up the phone on a Sat. afternoon lest I get a facefull of soot where they were blowing the lines out. Never said what to do if the damn thing was ringing, guess they had a way of telling at The Phone Co. who was talking & who wasn't. -Sandy G. P. S.- In Sneedville, theTaco Bell Co. wanted to put in a restaurant, but were told "No" by the town council, as they already had ONE telephone Co.(South CEntral Bell) & they really didn;t need another one...

Richard D
07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Back in the mid 1970s I was setting up some special effects for a Campus Life Haunted House. On the site (a closed race track) there were large transformers like you would find on the top of a pole or in a substation, but they were to heavy for the forklift to move and we were told we could take them apart and remove the actual transformers and just use the cans for show with neon transformers making the sparks. After we unbolted the tops we found they were filled with some kind of dark oil. So we had no idea it was pcb or what pcb was we poured out enough of it until we could see the bolts holding the transformer in the can. We rolled up our sleeves and stuck our arms up to our shoulders in this oil with ratchets in our hands to unbolt the transformer. Needless to say the 3 of us doing this were pretty much covered with this oil for about three days while we lifted out the guts with the forklift. I don't want to say what happened to the dozens of gallons of this stuff but none of us have grown third arms or any other abnormalities. I don't think. I don'think.:nutz:

Charlie
07-01-2004, 07:16 PM
We had some old transformers on a ship a few years back that we were unable to get rid of because of the cost involved. There were 3 of them, each being about 6 feet tall. They simply remained towed up in the focsle till we got rid of the ship. Supposedly was extremely costly to dispose of due to the stuff inside them. i guess someone over in India had to deal with it... that's where the ship went for scrap.

captainmoody
07-01-2004, 08:42 PM
ARRR, For those of you landlubbers that's the crews quarters in the forward section of the ship dontcha know!
But me pirate ship has a "skeleton" crew that doesn't need much space. So I, The good Captain have filled the rooms with plundered televisions!!

kby
07-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Sandy G
Don't eat the dust in the back of an old radio or TV & youshould have practically nothing to worry ABOUT.-SANDY g.

I'd also try to avoid breathing large quantities. Stuff lodged in the lungs can be pretty ugly as well. I suppose if it was from a heavy smoker's house it could be radioactive in a sense--polonium contamination in the soil is known to be absorbed rather well by tobacco plants...just one of the other hazards of smoking--and, it's an alpha emitter, which means it doesn't do much unless it's close range, then it can be really nasty (e.g., inhaled into the lungs). But this isn't what I was really thinking about above.-kby

heathkit tv
07-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Hell, Firestone (and others) used to market spark plugs made with Polonium tips!!!! Can you imagine? Woof!!!

Anthony

kby
07-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by heathkit tv
Hell, Firestone (and others) used to market spark plugs made with Polonium tips!!!! Can you imagine? Woof!!!

Anthony
Weird...what was the selling point (and were they really polonium?). It'd be pretty harmless in the engine, but of course I'd be worried about what comes out of the tailpipe. But I can't think of a reason why you'd want to use it isn't that easy to come by the stuff in quantities I'd think would be reasonable for any manufacturing process.-kby

heathkit tv
07-03-2004, 02:27 AM
These plugs were sold mostly in the 40's and 50's when the US was on a big time Atomic everything kick. I heard that in some cities children received radiation treatments to ward off childhood diseases!! This seems to have been largely forgotten. There was a time when many shoe stores had X-Ray machines so you could check the fit of your shoes. Scary stuff.

Link #1 (http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/sparkplugs.htm)

Link #2 (http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/084/index.s7.html)

Anthony

kby
07-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by heathkit tv
These plugs were sold mostly in the 40's and 50's when the US was on a big time Atomic everything kick. I heard that in some cities children received radiation treatments to ward off childhood diseases!! This seems to have been largely forgotten. There was a time when many shoe stores had X-Ray machines so you could check the fit of your shoes. Scary stuff.

Link #1 (http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/sparkplugs.htm)

Link #2 (http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/084/index.s7.html)

Anthony

Thanks for the links. I'd never seen the plugs before. I remember readinjg about the X-Ray machines in the stores; may have read about the radiation treatments.-kby