View Full Version : Totally cool Halolight on eBay!

Eric H
06-24-2004, 02:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73374&item=5706370653&rd=1

Charlie
06-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Someone here on AK needs to get that set! Please don't let it fall into the hands of an aquarium builder!

Here's the pic...

wa2ise
06-25-2004, 12:11 AM
The fact that the picture tube has a full size raster with noise would mean that the deflection and high voltage circuits are working, and that the IF strip is at least partially functional. That would mean that this set will probably respond well to a recap of all the wax capacitors. Can't tell about the sound or sync circuits, but those are usually not hard to repair if necessary (no strange parts).

I live in NJ, too far away from Ohio. No room either... :(

Big Dave
06-25-2004, 01:26 AM
That's close to me. I'll be watching it.

Charlie
06-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Heck, it might repond well to simply putting an antenna on it! In any case, this set looks like it has lots of potential and would be a great set to display!

Go for it Dave!!!

Big Dave
06-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I have decided against it. Polaraman, go for it. My reasons are this. I don't have the room because I will be bringing color roundies down when I'm on vacation and I don't want to get into a bidding war, especially with another AK member. Besides, there might be another Halolight with my name on it. I just lost interest. If space weren't an issue, I'd bid.

polaraman
06-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Dave feel free to bid. I bid up to $125 and the reserve was not met. It is a cool set but I will not bid higher. Feel free to bid cause I am done.

polaraman

lynnm
06-27-2004, 12:31 PM
My wife's family had one similar to that model which they would have purchased in the late '50s or very early '60s. We started dating in '61 and the set had been there for a year or more at that point.

The only difference I can see at a glance is that the set in the auction has rounded corners at the top of the cabinet.

Would the auction unit have a metal cabinet ?

Were rounded corners a common feature of those old Sylvanias ?

Charlie
06-27-2004, 01:06 PM
lynn,

I've seen a table model HaloLight in a plain metal cabinet.

The HaloLight I have does not have rounded corners.

The following picture is a unique looking HaloLight. I do not recall where I found this photo, it was some time ago.

it is interesting that the lighted bezel seems to be mounted a couple of inches forward of the wood cabinet. I have seen some Photofacts for some of these early 60's sets. I'm kinda surprised they made them for so long.