View Full Version : DTV Conversion Question - Antenna Signal Amplifier Available?

wajobu
01-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Greetings TV experts!

I have an Analog-DTV converter for my little vintage 1985 Panasonic 12" color TV. I built one of those DTV coat-hanger aerials that AK member pmsummer had posted about (and AK member Snade built). The antenna is quite directional, but very effective! I live in a low signal area, but remarkably I am receiving some channels that I would have never expected to tune in (CT Public TV and a couple others), but other usual channels are missing (but those stations might not be fired-up yet).

For FM reception I have been using a little plug-in signal amplifier and it really works quite well (it's rated for FM frequencies--IIRC 50 MHz to 200 MHz) . Is there an equivalent signal amp that I could purchase for the converter? The converter scans channels 2 through 69--I'm not sure what frequencies that channel range is. BTW, I did try my FM signal amp and there was no change in signal level at the DTV converter. I also have a satellite signal amp, and that doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

zenithfan1
01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I use a regular 10dB tv antenna amp like is sold at most stores and it seems to work well. I also have a mast mounted 30dB booster hooked to my rooftop antenna. Those amplified rabbit ears work pretty well sometimes too.

old_tv_nut
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Amplifiers sold for analog TV will work for digital too.

Just a caution - the inexpensive ones (as found at R-S, for example) may go for the "bigger is better" philosophy (i.e., more dB gain) at the expense of stability, and as a result may be unstable and oscillate. It is better to buy a 10 dB amp and see if that helps than to get a higher gain one that sometimes produces its own interference. The purpose of this amp is NOT to make the signal MUCH bigger, unless you are planning to reduce it by going through a splitter to multiple receivers. The purpose of this amp is to have a good noise figure and get the signal strong enough that the noise figure of the tuner in your converter box no longer matters. In case of a long antenna lead, the purpose is also to compensate lead losses. If you don't have significant lead-in losses, 3 or 4 dB of gain is all that's really needed, the rest is just insurance, and too much is asking for trouble.

IF you are trying to receive a weak signal in an area with other strong signals, adding an amplifier may actually make things worse due to overload, so you need to try it under your conditions.

Higher price pro gear with good grounds, used with well-shielded cables, generally doesn't have the oscillation problems, but can still be overloaded if a high-gain amp is used under strong signal conditions.

wajobu
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Thank you for the suggestions--I'll start with one of those 10 dB TV antenna amps.