View Full Version : Free unusual Silvertone on Seattle craigslist

Phil Nelson
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
No room for it here, but someone might like it. The top-mounted controls are kinda different. Perhaps it has an upside-down chassis . . . ?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/zip/990001780.html

Anyway, the price is right :)

Phil Nelson

Old1625
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Gone.

Phil Nelson
01-13-2009, 06:14 PM
If someone can tell me where to find my browser cache in Windows Vista, I'll retrieve a photo from that page and post it. Seems like that was easy to do in previous Windows versions, but maybe I'm just getting senile.

In any case, it was a 1958 Silvertone, with all of the controls in a row above the CRT. Either ugly, or delightfully funky, depending on your taste.

Phil

bgadow
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I have one that fits that description; they were pretty common with Sears at that time. It uses one of those vertical chassis that wrap around the crt.

Phil Nelson
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I finally dredged a photo out of the Internet cache, in case anyone's curious.

Phil

jeyurkon
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
I finally dredged a photo out of the Internet cache, in case anyone's curious.

Phil

That is unusual. I hope I'm not offending anyone but it reminds me of a kitchen range converted into a television.

John

Phil Nelson
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I think it's ugly as sin, but my wife, who is really into kitschy 1950s/1960s designs, was hopping up and down about how cool it looked.

Fortunately, it disappeared before she could talk me into getting it for her :)

Phil

electroking
01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Looks very much like the one in this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1647848#post1647848

Unusual, but previously seen on audiokarma!

tshoejohn
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Thomas Video in Clawson Michigan has some antique B/W TVs for sale if anyone is interested. They are moving to another building at the end of the month and are open to offers for their large floor model TVs (about 5 or 6 of them). if you are in the detroit area it may be worthwhile to check it out.

I made a post about this but I think i put it in the wrong forum, oops.

Old1625
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I think it's ugly as sin, but my wife, who is really into kitschy 1950s/1960s designs, was hopping up and down about how cool it looked.

Fortunately, it disappeared before she could talk me into getting it for her :)

Phil

You've got a neat wife there! :thmbsp:

My late gf was a big help in my getting rid of about 150 tellies of that vintage--and a few before and after....

I don't like the looks of the knob array above the tube, but I have to admit that they are up where you don't have to stoop far to reach them.... :scratch2:

stromberg6
01-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Ugly or not, you didn't have to stoop to adjust it. Wonder who made it for Sears.
Kevin

Tubejunke
01-15-2009, 03:27 AM
I found a set like that at the dump site several years ago. The chassis hung upside down just above the crt if memory serves me correctly. I remember it was real easy to pull the chassis and it would have been an easy restore as the circuitry was very basic with no power transformer.

I sometimes wish I had kept it as you don't see many like it. Like usual I needed the space so I gave it to a hopeful good home.

jeyurkon
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I found a set like that at the dump site several years ago. The chassis hung upside down just above the crt if memory serves me correctly. I remember it was real easy to pull the chassis and it would have been an easy restore as the circuitry was very basic with no power transformer.

I sometimes wish I had kept it as you don't see many like it. Like usual I needed the space so I gave it to a hopeful good home.

Hey, it still counts as a rescue!

John

mbates14
01-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I had that exact same TV. it wroked fine, until the HV died on it. great grandma bought it brand new from chicago, and still had the original reciept. ha.

But, when i moved, i coudlnt take it with me. so it stayed behind. I have a thread on this forum where i posted pictures when it "did" work.

not a scratch or nick on the cabnet, except when the dog tore the speaker grille cloth away way back then.