View Full Version : Does anyone know what this knob is for?

Captain Video
06-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I have this Philco console, and it does have four adjustment knobs: vertical, horizontal, brightness and range. What was the function of this "range" control?

Charlie
06-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Could the range control be for local/distant stations?

Cory
06-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Sounds similar to Truetone's "Rotoscope" control that's some sort of antenna attenuator.

Clean Philco, BTW! :)

Celt
06-20-2004, 09:30 AM
It's an attenuator. There weren't many stations in the early days of TV broadcasting so they made the front ends very sensitive to allow for poor aerials and distance. If you had a station nearby it could overload the front-end, so hence the attenuator. As more stations signed on, the overall sensitivity of sets lessened. In 1972 we replaced our '59 color Admiral with an RCA and it was a dog in comparison. Horrible audio compared to the Admiral and extremely insensitive. Had to boost the hell out of the signal to avoid ghosts and snow.

Tubejunke
06-21-2004, 12:00 AM
I have a table model like that. You didnt mention a contrast control. Mine has no "range" control. The other funtions you mentioned plus contrast should be 4 small knobs behind that plastic nameplate. The knobs and nameplate I am still looking for by the way, if you have any spare parts. Does your set use a 21ZP4B crt or some othe tube?

Captain Video
06-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the answers. This TV looks almost like new. I bought it from the largest TV collector in Brazil. I still donīt know what CRT it uses, because I didnīt had the time yet to take out the back cover ans take a look inside. Unfortunately, I donīt have any spare parts.