View Full Version : Licensing for UK Television

julianburke
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I have always been curious about the British and their Licensing of TV's. I have known that they have vans that go around looking for and detecting unlicensed TV's. I have always thought that these "detectors" look for a horiz oscillator running. They also have hand held detectors and some of the engineers work in secret so that other engineers don't even know what each other is doing! They even say they can tell one TV from another that may be back to back with a wall in between such as in a duplex apartment! Also the price is different between a B&W and a color unit. What difference does that make? You are still watching TV. We don't get a break for that on our cable systems.

How do they detect say a computer running that is watching "live" TV? That seems to be the key that if you are watching TV as it is being broadcast, then you must have a license and pay the tax. How would they detect an LCD or plasma screen from up to 60 yards away? They even want you to have a license if you watch TV from your cell phone and how would they detect that? I suppose the phone company would turn you in on that one. How would they detect a laptop computer watching anything?

Even more surprising is the fact they say around 1000 people are caught every day watching illegal TV!! How many TV police do they have? Over 1000 caught every day??? That means that in about 3-5 months the entire country of England is caught?!

Reminds me of when we had the Boston Tea Party in 1773. (interesting read-England said we and the Brits could only buy British tea to keep out competition from Holland) Perhaps the UK should have their own "London TV Party" and dump their TV's all in their harbor!! We could give them all the analog TV's they need for this event!!

This is why we are getting DTV forced down our throats, so our gov't can sell the analog bands for billions-yes, Billions with a "B".

Let's not tell our gov't about this untapped revenue on TV's! I think we'd all get life with no parole.

Click below for the UK"s website regarding this issue.

http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templates/tvlicensing/main/answerPage?_mftvst:answerRef=%24http%3a%2f%2fapi.t ransversal.com%2fmfapi%2fobjectref%2fEntryStore%2f Entry%2fhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.metafaq.com%2fmfapi%2fMet afaq%2fClients%2ftvlicensing%2fModules%2flicensing Info%2fTopics%2fgeneral%3a142667%3a0&_mftvst:moduleID=%24licensingInfo&_mftvst:topicID=%24general&id=MK4SCME6HT57SCAIN1EH6FS04U

http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templates/tvlicensing/main/realMainPage?_mftvst:answerRef=%24http%3a%2f%2fapi .transversal.com%2fmfapi%2fobjectref%2fEntryStore% 2fEntry%2fhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.metafaq.com%2fmfapi%2fM etafaq%2fClients%2ftvlicensing%2fModules%2flicensi ngInfo%2fTopics%2fgeneral%3a142667%3a0&_mftvst:moduleID=%24licensingInfo&_mftvst:topicID=%24detectionPenalties&id=MK4SCME6HT57SCAIN1EH6FS04U

VinylHanger
01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Crap, that just makes my Freedom loving hackles stand on end.

merrylander
01-10-2009, 08:01 AM
As I understand it, in return for the license fee the TV is free of advertising. Not seeing that couple in the bathtubs in the wheat field might be worth it.

andy
01-10-2009, 08:58 AM
---

juncers
01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I
Over the air TV in the UK works more like cable TV does in the US (except that it's wireless). Every channel gets nation wide coverage. With a half decent antenna, the picture quality of over the air looks as good, or better than cable TV. For less than $20 a month you get a hand full of commercial free TV channels and a bunch of commercial channels with some of the best original shows around. I would happily pay $20 a month to be able to receive UK TV over here.

I wouldn't get too excited--you probably get the best of British Broadcasting-there's a lot of crap too. Having said that, I recently visited my mom in NJ and tried to watch a movie interrupted by a commercial every 9-12 minutes. It does drive you nuts! :yes:

Ray

modge
01-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I gave my telly a way a couple of years ago to my mum. Its just utter rubbish on there. The price of a licence here, look at all the CDs and LPs you can buy with the money. Do I miss it, yes like a toothache :thmbsp:

merrylander
01-10-2009, 10:37 AM
We do get the best of Auntie Beeb over here. I recall a business trip to London back in the eighties. Turned on the telly in the hotel and there were several men debating something absolutely boring. Turned it off and wandered over to a pub in Shepherd's market. Had dinner and a few ales. Came back to my hotel, turned on the telly and they were still at it, must have been a good two hours later.

Sandy G
01-10-2009, 10:40 AM
If the politicos could figger a way to put a plastic dome over everyone's heads that you had to put a quarter into or you'd get no air that day, they'd do it...

andy
01-10-2009, 10:49 AM
---

merrylander
01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
We get a lot of good comedy shows here on PBS - when they are not begging for money.

wa2ise
01-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Let's see, there the government collects a license fee from every TV user, and then gives some of that to the TV stations. Okay, problem is, the TV station better not annoy the bureaucrats in the government if they want to get that money... [scene: news dept "we just found out that the prime minister is sleeping with that famous movie star" "Okay, let's make that story the lead item in tonight's broadcast". "better not, he runs the TV licensing dept and he could have them "forget" to pay us..."]. I wouldn't want to give the government that kind of influence over my media. Here, we just have our Funny Cookie Corporation (FCC) enforce meter reading on transmitters and issue fines if someone says the F word... :D

I'd rather have the commercials than have the government's finger in the pie. Besides, commercials give you time to go to the bathroom or grab a sandwich. And with multiple networks, and multiple sponsor companies, no one orginization can screw with the media.

We Americans are rather squirrelly about that sort of thing, our 1st Amendment.

Sandy G
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
But you gotta know that somewhere, some pointy-nosed, 1973-style glasses wearing policy wonk who works for the Ways & Means committee & still lives, at 43, w/his parents, is reading this & thinkin'-"Those Limeys, Hmmmmmmm.... ! Thatsa GOOD IDEA...", as he wipes his running nose on his shirtsleeve, & takes another swig of Diet Mountain Dew...and scribbles "Licenses for TVs & radios" on his yellow legal pad...

merrylander
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Let's see in Canada there used to be a license fee but it was dropped. That said the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has better news (read fairer and balanced) than Rupert Murdoch's Fox network. There was an Ombudsman show when I lived there and the guy who ran it regularly pissed off the government and they could not touch him. Everyone here thinks government cannot do anything right and private corporations are perfect. Welcome to the recession brought to you by private investment bankers.

Radfordman
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm an expert on this matter, well I should be as I have received many threatening and bullying letters from the company that harrases innocent people for the bbc (note usage of small letters) I no respect for the bbc or their enforcement company.

They assume that everyone has and uses a TV therefore owes them money for a license. This is an incorrect assumption.

I do not have a TV or other TV receiving equipment at the address that receives this assault. I have told the company so many times. In fact the address in question is not occupied at present and I don't want to tell them that as I trust them not at all.

Here is one letter from them, quite mild, but others have been much worse. An older person may be really worried about receiving such threats. If I find one of the more threatening letters, may post it later. Even if I don't, one can be sure that more will follow.

tboat4
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
As I understand it, in return for the license fee the TV is free of advertising. Not seeing that couple in the bathtubs in the wheat field might be worth it.

Not having to listen to or see Billy May would be worth the tax.:yes::yes:

andy
01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
---

modge
01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm an expert on this matter, well I should be as I have received many threatening and bullying letters from the company that harrases innocent people for the bbc (note usage of small letters) I no respect for the bbc or their enforcement company.

They assume that everyone has and uses a TV therefore owes them money for a license. This is an incorrect assumption.

I do not have a TV or other TV receiving equipment at the address that receives this assault. I have told the company so many times. In fact the address in question is not occupied at present and I don't want to tell them that as I trust them not at all.

Here is one letter from them, quite mild, but others have been much worse. An older person may be really worried about receiving such threats. If I find one of the more threatening letters, may post it later. Even if I don't, one can be sure that more will follow.

Iv several letters like that. At first I rang them up and said I haven't got a telly. It never stopped them, so then I rang up and told them stick your letters up your ASS. Funny thing Iv never had any phone calls or letters since. :thmbsp:

Radfordman
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Iv several letters like that. At first I rang them up and said I haven't got a telly. It never stopped them, so then I rang up and told them stick your letters up your ASS. Funny thing Iv never had any phone calls or letters since. :thmbsp:

Well Done!

Correction, Very well done!!!:thmbsp:

roundscreen
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Do the TV collectors in the uk have to pay 20 dollars per month for each set they own? If there collections are as large as the ones we have here, That could run into a lot of money.

Sandy G
01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but, Modge, I'm sure your name is on a list of "Dangerous Subversives" somewhere...Of course, w/over 100 guns & a fully automatic weapon licensed to me, I'm sure I'm on a list or 3 as well...Ask me if I care...If I DID care, would I be blabbing about it here, on a public online forum ?

roundscreen
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, but, Modge, I'm sure your name is on a list of "Dangerous Subversives" somewhere...Of course, w/over 100 guns & a fully automatic weapon licensed to me, I'm sure I'm on a list or 3 as well...Ask me if I care...If I DID care, would I be blabbing about it here, on a public online forum ?
:lmao::lmao:

Fitzy
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Do the TV collectors in the uk have to pay 20 dollars per month for each set they own? If there collections are as large as the ones we have here, That could run into a lot of money.

No just one license per address covering all TV receivers. The fee only goes to the BBC all other stations are self funding through advertising etc. The enforcement inspectors have right of entry and are a bunch of Nazis!!

Radfordman
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Not quite sure what the question is (my age you know:thumbsdn:), but in the UK only one license is needed for each private residence, one can have as many TV's as one likes at that residence and only one license is needed.

If a house was converted into two apartments two different owners, a licence would be needed in both apartments if they had TV's.

One good thing, very old people get a license free, my mother does.

modge
01-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm a law abiding bloke, I was brought up that way, but as I get older I see things that are just making people so angry about stupid things that you can,cannot and should do that you need to drew a line some were.If the BBC are so concerned about people not paying there licence, why don't they spend a few more of the millions that they have on catching illegal broadcasting. Anyway from what I listened to on my tuner a few years ago the BBC are finished. Its going to be franchised my an American company. Its sighed and sealed. So be bit.

Radfordman
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm a law abiding bloke, I was brought up that way, but as I get older I see things that are just making people so angry about stupid things that you can,cannot and should do that you need to drew a line some were.If the BBC are so concerned about people not paying there licence, why don't they spend a few more of the millions that they have on catching illegal broadcasting. Anyway from what I listened to on my tuner a few years ago the BBC are finished. Its going to be franchised my an American company. Its sighed and sealed. So be bit.

Agreed

ceebee23
01-10-2009, 07:47 PM
The BBC rates its head off in the UK... which is why the private media snipe and demand that it be limited to protect "competition".

Governments of both flavours in the UK would dearly love to end the licence fee system which gives the BBC a degree of independence.

Here in Australia the ABC (modelled on the BBC) used to receive a licence fee but in the 70s that was abandoned and now is just given a budget by the government like any other government department.

Over the past decade the ABC has been deliberately starved of funds to punish it for being seen too critical of the government and also to prevent is competing with the private media.

Neither the US model and the British model are perfect but looking at the product of the two systems ..I think i will take the Brit model.

nasadowsk
01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I hear your concern, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in practice. They are frequently very critical of their own government.

They regular tow the government line about various topics - they were recently caught by someone towing the government line on speed cameras.

Then again, don't get the UK - one popular new website online refers to them as 'the nanny state', and frankly, the stories you hear, it fits...

The other difference - if you proposed a TV tax to prop up PBS in the US, there'd be mass outrage. Then again, PBS sucks, always has, always will...

readmm50
01-11-2009, 09:56 AM
The BBC is not perfect but it does provide a wide range and of output and some of it is of a very high quality. For anyone who doesn’t know it provides eight national TV stations, special services for Scotland, Ireland and Wales, regional TV news and current affairs services in England, 8 national radio networks, 40 local radio stations, a large and highly rated website + on demand access in the UK to most of it’s radio and TV output over the previous 7 days via the internet and cable TV. All of this is commercial free but costs around 57 US cents a day for each household (not per person).

If you use any of these services on a regular basis – and most people in the UK consumer a lot of BBC news and entertainment output, I reckon it is terrific value.

The American system also produces some great stuff. I reckon we probably see some of the best of it over here. Having watched TV in the US it seems to me that you pay a higher price to see good programming. You either have to pay for premium channels or watch endless repeats of often mindless commercials. I thought the UK’s commercial networks were bad enough! PBS has some good stuff but the appeals for donations and sponsorship messages get in the way. I think that US citizens should get some kind of international endurance award for being able to see and hear the same message over and over again without turning off.

Neither the American or the British system is truly independent from the government. The good thing about the BBC is that it doesn’t have so many of the commercial pressures that the US networks have to cope with so it can say things and try things that the US networks don’t. Whatever you think of the BBC’s bias, it gives everyone access to intelligent information and some quality programming. I reckon anyone who can’t find some good stuff on the BBC hasn’t looked very hard.

By-the-way, as you may know, outside the UK the BBC also provides commercially funded international news and entertainment TV channels and non commercial overseas radio services in many languages (the radio services are funded directly by the government).

I am a great fan of American TV, radio and technology. I just think we get a better deal in the UK. I only hope the BBC can hold it together in an increasingly competitive market. Most UK citizens will miss it if it disappears. It’s a tough task to try and justify a license fee system if a lot of the population stop using the BBC’s services.

I am not sure why some people find it so outrageous that the BBC is paid for by a tax on each household. British and American citizens all pay taxes for services they may never use such as the state education system or even libraries. I guess it depends on your view on keeping people informed, educated and sometimes entertained.

colorfixer
01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
What a wonderful scheme to allow some wannabe cop's entry to poke around your house. Use the "inspect your tv" excuse to scope out what you're up to.

LOL. That would never fly in the US.

Why don't they just make the freeview boxes that the british government rammed down everyone's throats conditional access, then they'd enforce "licensing" by enabling the boxes.

Come to think about it, it could have happened here.

modge
01-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I hear your concern, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in practice. They are frequently very critical of their own government. Between the BBC news, the commercial networks, satellite, and the papers, not much is kept secret. If anything, the BBC news is far more objective and substantive than the infotainment that passes for TV news here in the US. The UK's newspapers tend to me more like the US news channels though.

I don't know the details of how the funding works, but if anything like you suggest was happening, it would be BIG news, and the BBC would be murdered by the other news outlets. The US isn't the only country with free speech!

The BBC is not critical of the government is cant be. This is not a political rant but the TRUTH. Margaret Thatcher made it illegal to broadcast what any politician had said on the broadcasting network in the past. Why, because her government at the time were lying about what certain politicians had said, also some of them were denying what they had said until it was broadcast and they were then in the mire. So much for freedom of speech.
It would probably be the same everywhere but here there is the official secrets act which the BBC, ITV has to follow. I know of certain (and many other local people do) things that went on here that wasn't broadcast because of the government's intervention e.g. the miners strike.
Like I said earlier the BBCs days are numbered.

marty59
01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Here's something else about to happen in the UK if you plan on buying that large screen plazma..
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/giant-plasma-tvs-face-ban-in-battle-to-green-britain-1299665.html

I don't wish to rant and risk this being pulled, but it's important to share.

Kiwick
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
We've always had a TV licensing fee here in Italy, it was strictly enforced until the mid 80s, everytime you bought a new TV the dealer had to notify your purchase to the government.

If you didn't want to pay that fee anymore, you had to sell or discard the TV set, then they came to your home to make sure you no longer had a TV, if you wanted to keep your TV set without paying the fee, they would open it, disconnect the CRT and place a seal on the socket to prevent you from watching it anymore.

I've found many scrapped TVs with seals on their CRTs, those lead and wire seals are a PITA to remove if you don't want to damage the CRT.

the fee was cheaper if you only had a B/W set, the B/W fee was removed in the early 90s and as a consequence, trainloads of B/W sets found their way to illegal dumps and curbsides, it was a good time for TV hunting...

Today, the TV licensing fee is still here but it's basically no longer enforced, many newer households just don't pay it anymore.

Bill R
01-12-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm just curious. If they have the right of entry to your house, what recourse if any do you have if they find none? Here that would cause a lot of lawsuits.

Bill R

Mr Hoover
01-12-2009, 06:26 AM
There certainly used to be "TV Detector Vans" in the UK.
These would allegedly detect the local oscillator from a TV set's
tuner to show that the TV was in use.the "blip" on the spectrum
analyser was used as evidence in court.There was a large antenna
on the top of the van,think this has now been abandoned.

Here in Portugal there used to be a TV licence,very few people paid it
and it was abandoned in the early 1990's.

If one has a satellite dish all the UK terrestrial TV channels can be
viewed in parts of Western Europe for free!!

There was mention on BBC Radio 4 recently of a guy having a lot of
"aggravation" from the agency that now enforces the collection.

Till 1971 you needed a radio licence as well but they gave this up

Hugh