View Full Version : Last analog TV Rose Parade has ended

kx250rider
01-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Normally, I couldn't care less about the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade, but it does have a special place in Los Angeles TV history. KTLA was the first to commercially telecast the parade, and also the first in the USA to broadcast in color in 1954. It was likely the first color broadcast event that was seen by many people. KTLA was also the first to broadcast it digitally (simultaneously with the analog signal), which I believe was 2000 or 2001. Today was the last analog broadcast Rose Parade forever.

I have a 1952 Kaye-Halbert TV that has been operated for every single Rose Parade since it was new. Next year, it will still receive the parade on rabbit ears, but naturally it will be on a converter box.

I had some thought of having a 1947 TV set up this morning to commemorate the first & last KTLA parade telecasts, but I got too busy yesterday with one of my big 5 hp. 3-phase air raid sirens getting ready for New Years Eve at midnight :)

Happy New Year!

VinylHanger
01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
but I got too busy yesterday with one of my big 5 hp. 3-phase air raid sirens getting ready for New Years Eve at midnight :)

Happy New Year!

There are some very odd birds on AK.:scratch2:

cbenham
01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
There are some very odd birds on AK.:scratch2:
But I bet he had a wailing goodtime!!

dtuomi
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I had some thought of having a 1947 TV set up this morning to commemorate the first & last KTLA parade telecasts, but I got too busy yesterday with one of my big 5 hp. 3-phase air raid sirens getting ready for New Years Eve at midnight :)

Happy New Year!

So, that was you?! And here I thought it was a fog horn.

David

Mark W.
01-02-2009, 11:14 PM
See one on TV with Robbie Coltran that was powered by A Chrysler 396 Hemi running on Propane that had been mounted on a rotating mount on top of some building or water tower.

They fired it up OH MY GAWD even on TV you could tell it was unbelievably loud.

kx250rider
01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
See one on TV with Robbie Coltran that was powered by A Chrysler 396 Hemi running on Propane that had been mounted on a rotating mount on top of some building or water tower.

They fired it up OH MY GAWD even on TV you could tell it was unbelievably loud.

Over 6000 pounds of noise :yes: I actually have a line on one of those Chryslers. Not sure when I can talk the owner into selling, but one of these days........ That's the ultimate siren.

Charles

jeyurkon
01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm glad you guys don't live next door to me!

Quite few years ago I went to a friends party. Once of his guest shows ups in a jeep with a 50mm machine gun mounted in the rear. It had been converted to fire with propane and gave realistic retorts.

After the owner drove it around the blocks a few times firing the neighbors must have called the police. Surprisingly they showed up on bicycles and were quite reasonable about it.

My friend is Iraqi or Iranian. I forget which. Had this not occurred before 911 I hate to think of what would have happened to us.

John Y.

kx250rider
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm glad you guys don't live next door to me!

Quite few years ago I went to a friends party. Once of his guest shows ups in a jeep with a 50mm machine gun mounted in the rear. It had been converted to fire with propane and gave realistic retorts.

After the owner drove it around the blocks a few times firing the neighbors must have called the police. Surprisingly they showed up on bicycles and were quite reasonable about it.

My friend is Iraqi or Iranian. I forget which. Had this not occurred before 911 I hate to think of what would have happened to us.

John Y.

Fortunately, we have good relations with all of the neighbors. And they're no saints either, when it comes to noise. One of them operates an imported marble & granite business down in Los Angeles, and he has his rock smashing machine and an enormous Diesel-powered diamond saw up here on his ranch next to us since his business down in LA isn't zoned for that type of noise. Fortunately, he only fires it up about once a month. Another neighbor has been building his 14,000 sq ft house for about 3 years, slowly, steadily, and noisily with 100s of large vehicles entering across our private road. If that isn't enough noise, the ranch to the west of ours is used for Mexican rodeos. Now THAT'S NOISE! So my sirens aren't the focus, I suppose :) . My Federal Thunderbolt siren is mounted way up high on the deck behind the house, and it's visible from the highway. So I guess if anyone complained, the officials would have no problem finding us. But I don't think I'm illegal, since there aren't noise rules on agricultural land in this county, and in fact, it's perfectly legal to shoot any type of weapons here.

Charles

bgadow
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
That's a good woman you found, Charles!

G.B.
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Found any more Kaye Halbert 27 inch sets KX 250 Rider ? G.B Dragon Man here ...

kx250rider
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Found any more Kaye Halbert 27 inch sets KX 250 Rider ? G.B Dragon Man here ...

None... Last one I found was in the 80s, and I think you saw that one at the house in Chatsworth when you came out to California. (That set was moved out before the '88 fire, and I still have it). I think they're kind of rare at this point. I have a few dozen Kaye-Halbert sets total, and that's still the only 27 I've seen (besides the childhood photo of your parents' set).

Just a thought on that; you took a photo of me in front of that set in the mid-80s, holding a 1 1/2" Panasonic pocket TV if I recall... You made a wall-poster of it and sent me one. Do you happen to have that negative (or another print of that)? I did lose that poster with all of my other photos in the fire... I'd greatly appreciate it if you could post that here in the thread, or I'd be happy to pay for a new print of it.

Charles

G.B.
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
None... Last one I found was in the 80s, and I think you saw that one at the house in Chatsworth when you came out to California. (That set was moved out before the '88 fire, and I still have it). I think they're kind of rare at this point. I have a few dozen Kaye-Halbert sets total, and that's still the only 27 I've seen (besides the childhood photo of your parents' set).

Just a thought on that; you took a photo of me in front of that set in the mid-80s, holding a 1 1/2" Panasonic pocket TV if I recall... You made a wall-poster of it and sent me one. Do you happen to have that negative (or another print of that)? I did lose that poster with all of my other photos in the fire... I'd greatly appreciate it if you could post that here in the thread, or I'd be happy to pay for a new print of it.

Charles
Thanks for the response... Hope You can call soon & or email Me Your # & when Your Free... See I had a copy of all Prints I was going to send You but lost contact at that Point. by the way a few members would like a picture of kaye Halbert 27 inch... feel free to Post if You wish... Sorry folks this should of been a PM but hard to catch Charles... He realy did have the biggest collection of TV's & a RCA Color Camera I have ever got to look at private.....