View Full Version : Zenith 21FJP22 on eBay..

jstout66
06-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Just passing along. The seller is a tad "unique" but his feed-back is good. FYI-- I emailed him on shipping cost and he ships by Greyhound. I don't know if that's a "good thing" or not. To my town (Omaha) the shipping charge quoted was $60.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7275&item=6102110136&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

captainmoody
06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh man, I wish he would drop that "lollipop color" crap.
It must be a favorite word of his.

jstout66
06-15-2004, 06:49 AM
I also wonder if the tube will be shipped in a protective coating of WD-40........... :D

jstout66
06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
HOLY SHIT! It's up to $209.00 with 11 minutes to go. Thats more then some of our complete "roundies" have brought on ePay. Someone must really want that lollipop color.....

captainmoody
06-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Ended at 261.00 complete with green halo! Sheesh!

captainmoody
06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I just noticed when looking at the pic this guy took of his toob for sale in the background was
a yard full of papers and junk including a lawnmower, This guy is a real packrat and most likely has a lot of stuff he has saved over the years... Ever see the movie "Nothing but trouble"?

Charlie
06-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Wow! It only cost $170.00 to have them rebuilt in Dallas... shipping not included.

Charlie
06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jstout66
Someone must really want that lollipop color.....

Now that's funny!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

captainmoody
06-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Sure is, Guess the bidder had no idea. Maybe someone should tell him about the rebuilder and our forum.
(I just emailed him)

andy
06-16-2004, 10:34 PM
---

Charlie
06-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Andy,

Video Display Corp in Dallas will do 21FBP and FJP tubes for 170. I recently asked them about doing B&W tubes, but they said no. In fact, the guy in Dallas said to call Hawkeye.

captainmoody
06-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Just got through talking to the high bidder on the crt, He is interested in finding out more about the crt rebuilder and the forum!

Charlie
06-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Man, I don't know. We might not be able to guarantee lollipop color. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Kidding aside, that's great! It's fun to see new people in the TV forums! :) It was getting time for some fresh blood in here! :bat:

andy
06-17-2004, 01:25 PM
---

Steve McVoy
06-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Clinton Electronics is accepting orders for rebuilding 21EA/FDP4 and 17DA/DRP4 CRT's. Our contact person is Mark Rein at 815-633-1444 x350 or email mrein@clintonelectronics.com

captainmoody
06-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Charlie, The fellow that bought the tube from "lollipop color" man would like the phone number for the tube rebuilder you use,
Seems that he is having a bit of trouble finding it.

Charlie
06-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Cap,

The number to Video Display in Dallas is 800 323 9278. Ask for Phil.

There is only one drawback... they cannot guarantee the tube. So far, it seems that they've done a good many rebuilds of these old tubes with pretty good results. There have been a couple of failures (one of mine for instance cracked while in the oven). But, for the most part they have had good success. I'm sure that Phil will give him all of the details over the phone.

I hope this works out for him.

Charlie
06-19-2004, 08:23 PM
For FJP's, they do not re-glue the safety glass back on when finished. They told me they will tape it on... aparently they've done this a few times.

They can also send it back seperate, and the user can put it on using popcycle sticks and RTV caulk.

Charlie
06-23-2004, 08:55 PM
What become of the guy that bought the 'lollipop color' CRT? Did he join our group here? If so, stand up and be noticed... we wanna see what ya got! ;)

rcaman
06-24-2004, 08:41 AM
video display rebuilt mine for 250.00 and did an excellent job. great focus and brightness. :)

Charlie
06-24-2004, 10:46 AM
The 250... was that shipping included? How did they ship? I think Phil told me they were trying to put a tube on a pallet to keep other things away from it during transit.

Glad to hear yours came out great. Which set did you put it in? Did rebuilding it restore the lollipop color??? :D :eek: ;) :screwy:

cork
06-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Lolloipop color not withstanding, I am the buyer of the big bucks ebay 21FJP22. I didn't know about Charlie's recomendation about VDT in Dallas. The Dallas plant is hard to find, not listed on the Google cash for VDT and no phone in the directory that I could find.

Anyway, Dwight gave me a good number and they do do 21FJP22s for not $170 but $165. Getting the tubes to them is a monster problem. They do not do 21AXP22s or anything with air in it. And they are not planning on doing any 15GP22s. Maybe Hawkeye for this one.

So I am going to need to round up a 21FJP22 dud to send to them, since I am doing two sets, a CTC5 and a 205C2. (I guess the 205C2 is for 20.5 inches color set version 2?)

Charlie
06-27-2004, 03:01 AM
Cork,

I may be able to help a little later if you are not in a hurry. i have a dud FJP out in the garage that should be rebuildable. I'll check tomorrow to make sure the heaters still light up. I might be making a trip to Dallas in a few weeks. If so, I wouldn't mind dropping off this dud for you. They could rebuild it, and then send it to you. That would save you some bucks on getting it to them. i have plenty of weak tubes in and out of sets, so I don't mind letting one go.

Like I said, it would be at least a few weeks from now before I make this trip, so if you're not in a rush, this could work out good for you.

The reason I said they charge 170 is because they add on a 5 dollar handling fee to my bill. Perhaps it would be different for one they would ship out, but I always get charged 165 plus the extra 5.

cork
06-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Charlie,

Thanks for the offer on the the FJP22 dud. It's got to be worth something, else it would already be in the dump. I hope VDT reguns them, so who cares if all the heaters work? The only thing they have a fit about is if the tube has lost its vacuum. That's why they couldn't do the 19VP22 for the 205C2.

I spent some little time building a crate for 21FJP22s to send to the lollipop man to ship his tube. I think it will withstand the five foot drop test. We'll know soon enough. If it does survive I could send the box to your, or to VDD. VDD's only ideas on shipping are to band a carton down to a pallet, which is going to be really expensive for a two-way shipment.

New subject: Which of the early RCAs demodulated in phase with the I and Q axis, and who else did it? Imagine there has been plenty of discussion of this in the past.

Charlie
06-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by cork
Charlie,

Thanks for the offer on the the FJP22 dud. It's got to be worth something, else it would already be in the dump. I hope VDT reguns them, so who cares if all the heaters work?

Cork,

I mentioned checking to make sure that the heaters would light because that would likely mean that the tube is still under a vacuum and rebuildable.

Yes, it's worth something... going into a vintage set that someone is willing to take the time to restore! I really have no need for it as i have plenty of jugs here for my needs. I also have access to a few more in town if I ever needed them. Besides, one of the things that you'll find here at AK is that we all try to help each other out!

BTW, do you happen to have any photos of the sets you have? if so, we'd be interested in seeing them and hearing any stories or progress reports that you have to go along with them. :)

Carmine
06-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Which of the early RCAs demodulated in phase with the I and Q axis, and who else did it? Imagine there has been plenty of discussion of this in the past.

Oh yeah, that old debate comes up all the time! ;)

bgadow
06-27-2004, 10:27 PM
A question that came to me last month, and this is as good a time as any to ask. I have a CTC-13 that has been in storage for 12 years. When I got it there was a raster. Finally in May I brought it inside and hooked up the crt tester (chassis needs lots of TLC) and thought it strange that something was keeping me from getting the heater voltage high enough, and I could not see them with the lights on. Fast forward, in the dark I watched all 3 heaters, one by one, go out. Sad. So, is that jug any good? I have another in the attic which isn't great but is better than nothing. When I do get to this project I'll need to know whether to save the crt or just toss it. (maybe after pulling off the faceplate.)

cork
06-28-2004, 01:11 AM
Bryan,
I think what you saw going on with the CRT was the heaters burning up one at a time because the tube was full of air. They seem to last about a minute. A sure way to check is look at the getter deposit on the tube neck. If it's shiny and metalic, good vacuum. It it's white and falling of, there is air in the tube.

Chad Hauris
06-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by cork
Charlie,

New subject: Which of the early RCAs demodulated in phase with the I and Q axis, and who else did it? Imagine there has been plenty of discussion of this in the past.

As far as I know only the CTC-2 tube type set did...used in the 21CT55 and CT-100 models. Another unusual thing about the CTC-2 is that the chroma and video signals are mixed before the CRT and sent to the CRT cathodes, just like on a modern set. (as opposed to most tube sets, chroma on grids and b/w video on cathodes). There is another RCA set I think that used the I and Q demod system in the early 1980's.