View Full Version : RCA ATC113 36" focus issue. Bad tube or flyback?

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I was given this TV by the same person who has been loading me up with BPC sets here lately. He told me it had focus problems and that he thought the flyback was bad. When I checked it, the picture is somewhat OK with the black level and contrast at midrange (although it does show symptoms of trouble).

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/tv067.jpg

Now, this is what it looks like when I crank the contrast to max. The picture goes out of focus and there are black bands in the picture. It sort of reminds me of what those Zenith CRT's of the 90's would do when they were going bad. He thinks it's the flyback. I think it's the CRT. What do you think?

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/tv069.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/tv068.jpg

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Nevermind, I had a little accident and put this POS out of it's misery. I had a 31" tube from a CTC203 of same vintage. I figured I'd just connect this chassis to that tube. Everything plugged in fine; so, I figured it would work. As soon as I plugged the chassis in, the power supply chirped, and then the switching regulator went up in flames and blew the fuse. I checked the HOT and it was still good. I said the heck with it, knocked the neck off the tube, and flung the set on the ever increasing trash pile. It didn't take much to break that paper thin plastic cabinet that this POS was housed in. Hell, I've seen 12" B&W's that had a more substantial cabinet than this piece of garbage. I'm glad the junk heap is gone and I apologize for wasting your time with this garbage!

andy
12-21-2008, 06:37 PM

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
They didn't move slowly. They popped up at random in what appeared to be higher brightness areas.

MRX37
12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
You shoulda at least tested the CRT before destroying it.

bgadow
12-21-2008, 10:44 PM
If you come across a CTC159 I think my repairman friend may still be looking for a flyback/control panel. He asked me about it when I stopped in last week.

eberts
12-21-2008, 10:54 PM
That set has the focus divider network built into the top of the flyback, when it opens up, you lose the 5000 volts focus voltage and you will get what you had on the screen.
I had one of those last year, I wasn't putting any money into the TV, walked it out to the curb, it vanished within 1/2 hour. I bought a new 42"LCD that was only 70 lbs.

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 11:07 PM
If you come across a CTC159 I think my repairman friend may still be looking for a flyback/control panel. He asked me about it when I stopped in last week.

I'll let you know if I find one. I'm always finding stuff (often, the wrong stuff, LOL) and I never know from one day to the next what I'm going to find.

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
That set has the focus divider network built into the top of the flyback, when it opens up, you lose the 5000 volts focus voltage and you will get what you had on the screen.
I had one of those last year, I wasn't putting any money into the TV, walked it out to the curb, it vanished within 1/2 hour. I bought a new 42"LCD that was only 70 lbs.

As you know, my set was big and heavy. I couldn't even move it without the cabinet creaking. Really a cheap made piece of crap. The HV lead coming out of the flyback is not much bigger than what the focus lead would have been a few years ago. I guess they'll cut corners anyway they can.

Anyway, I cooled down and pulled out a nice looking 27" CTC177 with A/V jacks. The flyback was burning so I replaced it with a used one that I had on hand. Turned out that one had a very touchy G2 control. Either it was too dark or very bright. At least I know the rest of the set is OK; so, I might order a flyback for it.

The other set on the agenda is a '99 32" Toshiba that has sound, raster, but no video. Fortunately, I have the Sams on it's 27" little brother. Between the Sams and the 'scope; maybe I can fix it. It appears to be much better built than the RCA that I destroyed.

radiotvnut
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Just for the record, I have not always been this short tempered when it comes to newer TV's. Once upon a time, I rarely gave up on a TV. I'd usually go at it until I found what was wrong. Of course, TV's were built a little better back then and the resell market was better.