View Full Version : Sylvania E03

bgadow
12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
As usual, I will make a short story long. Saturday afternoon I had a little time to kill. There was an estate sale in the paper that sounded interesting so I decided to check it out. (there were actually 2, one 40 minutes east, the other 40 minutes west. I headed east) When I get there it turns out to be false advertising. It was actually just a woman who turned the front rooms of her house into a temporary antique store, complete with antique store prices. She admitted to another shopper that she had just bought some of the stock at the flea market. Didn't take me long to get out of there.

Not a wasted trip as it was almost within sight of one of my favorite TV shops. (always open all day on Saturday, though I've never been in there when I wasn't the only customer) As usual we had a nice chat; he has some old radios he wants to sell (rough Philco 84 cathedral, RCA BX57 portable, a Trans-Oceanic (5H40 chassis), a Sparton with peeling veneer, a decent looking Radiola 17 with speaker. I told him I would try to find someone who is interested, though I'm not sure how. Later I was out in the showroom, and I guess I'd never looked real close at his inventory. In between a mix of BPC and a few flatscreens are a few older sets:

On a shelf, a set I always notice when I walk in but I never looked closer-a 60s 9" bw portable, a Bradford, the faded pricetag reads $20

A couple late 70s RCA/JCPenney 19" sets-I honestly didn't look at them except from the back.

One set that really caught my eye, and I thought maybe somebody might be looking for it: a Sylvania table model, woodgrain metal cabinet (plastic back) with dual-knob tuning, solid state E03 chassis. I believe this would be '74 model. He has it marked $40. I didn't ask him anything about it-no idea how long it's been sitting. It looks like about a 21". If there is any interest I could grab it, as long as I didn't have to hold onto it for too, too long. Someday I'll probably wish I kept it myself but I don't have the room and I really shouldn't be spending the money on stuff like that right now.