View Full Version : Another Zenith find, a 4 tube Chromacolor hybrid!

jfrog1983
12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
19DC12 chassis, nicer set than my smaller Zenith delta IMO, mainly due to the slightly bigger screen and finer dot pitch.

This one actually works, but has some issues:

1. Focus control is turned all the way to right just to get sorta decent focus

2. Major blooming with contrast and bright turned up

3. Brightness seems to vary depending on what scene is showing i.e. it will ramp up on dark scenes and ramp down on bright scenes

I'm thinking the picture tube may be worn however I do wonder if it's something in the high voltage circuit causing these problems. The high voltage tube is the only one thats been replaced with a Westinghouse 6LX6, the set calls for a 6LF6, I wonder if those 2 are interchangeable or not...

I will probably fix this one up first, assuming it still has life, if not then I'll just focus on my smaller one.

jpdylon
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
The two tubes are interchangeable.

The blooming and poor focus are usually due to a failing HV trippler (red thing) There used to be an ECG replacement to put in its place but I don remember the part number... Got an HV probe? Check your focus and ultor voltage.

The video problem is inherent to these sets. They have poor DC restoration resulting in low black levels when there's lots of Y information in the video signal. Given the colors on that screenshot, I think your CRT is fine.

jfrog1983
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Well then I shall work on this set first, since it's in a better state.

I'm sure the Zenith guru will know what part number that tripler is.

I haven't worked on TV's much yet, but boy am I learning, and I know about the dangers inherent in TV repair.

I do need more tools, but don't have a lot of extra money right now, so ill have to make do with what I have to repair these cool old sets.

N9ZQA
12-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice set. I've only seen these in tabletop cabinets, never in a console-style cabinet like that. The 4-tube hybrids are dependable sets; we had one as our main set for a long time when I was a kid; it eventually got traded to a friend of mine for something I can't even remember. Knowing what I know now, wish I would have kept it!

-Jim

drh4683
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Definitly check the HV. Should be 26KV on these. Lots of times the focus divider resistor is at fault for the marginal focus/focus pot all the way at one end. Its the (what was once) white rectangular thing just to the left the red HV trippler. Some were in a translucent yellow case too. They are any easy fix. You should be able to get an aftermarket one from moyers. The aftermarket ones are not the same size physically, so the mounting will be different. Part number should be printed on the side of it. Should be a 63-9897.

I used to have this same model. Mine was beat to heck, so it got parted out long ago. Its an interesting TV cabinet as its simply a plain jane black plastic cabinet without the woodgrain photofinish simply slid into the wood cabinet. When I took mine apart, I noticed the plastic cabinet had the texture molded into it for the "woodgrain" look. You can see it in the photos that the cabinet is just slid inside another cabinet. Zeniths cheap idea of making a cheap cabinet more "deluxe". Still love em though. Can't beat the 4 tubers.

radiotvnut
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice set. I've only seen these in tabletop cabinets, never in a console-style cabinet like that. The 4-tube hybrids are dependable sets; we had one as our main set for a long time when I was a kid; it eventually got traded to a friend of mine for something I can't even remember. Knowing what I know now, wish I would have kept it!

-Jim

I once had one similar to that set and it had a matching pedestal that it sat on.

I've also had a few of the regular 23"/25" consoles with this chassis.

jfrog1983
12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info! I can't afford a HV probe right now so my plan is to simply order the tripler and focus resistor...

Anyone got the ECG part number for the replacement tripler for this thing?

Phone number or web address for moyers? (tried googling moyers, no luck)

radiotvnut
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
www.moyerelectronics.com

zenith2134
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Good luck, and remember safety first of course.

I need to get my hands on a 4-tuber. :yes:

zenithfan1
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Me too, all I can find are dang roundies. :)

bgadow
12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't recall ever seeing a Zenith like this. I did have a GE & an Admiral that were similiar, and the DuMont I have now is along these lines. The Admiral was kinda odd as it had an inner cabinet (like Doug mentioned) but made of metal, and it was only half there, trimmed down to the bare minimum.

I have a ratty 4-tube buried in the shed...someday I'll drag it out.

jfrog1983
12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the link radiotvnut! It seems moyer carries ECG parts, so I can just order both parts at the same time. All I need is the ECG part number for the tripler and I'm good to go.

radiotvnut
12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
What's the number on the tripler? Should be 212-xx. I think it takes an ECG500A; but, best to look it up just to be safe.

Chad Hauris
12-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I had this exact same model when I was about 12 years old. I still have the pedestal it sat on, it's in my parents' attic. I can remember removing the plastic set very easily from the wooden cabinet...I never could figure out how to fix the "no color" problem it had, it ended up being completely dismantled. Luckily I was able to find another similar model but it does not have the wooden outer cabinet.

jfrog1983
12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Nothing is coming up on moyer for that tripler I need, I will need to go to my parents land and check out the part numbers on that thing...