View Full Version : CTC7 at local GW

Thespeakerdude8
12-09-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/ctc7.htm
I though I would pass some karma along...

There is one of these at the goodwill center off of HWY 40 in Indiana right now for $5.99.

I thought I would pass this along as it looks like a beautiful set for someone to restore, but it will take some patience. At least one tube was white, the others are there and appear original. Cabinet is in restorable condition. I was going to rob it of its 6AQ5's and 6CG7's, but couldn't bring myself to do it incase someone might be able to restore this beauty

TSD88~

EDIT: I just found this thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124126

It is this exact model, in need of some love. I really hope someone can give it a home before GW trashes it :(

Robert Grant
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks..

but WHERE along HWY 40 in Indiana (crossing my fingers it's an ohio border town).

Rob

zenithfan1
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, WHERE! They WILL throw it away, they have no idea about this stuff and what it's worth. It will sit about a week until it meets it's demise.

freakaftr8
12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Can someone say Goldmine? Someone save that set!!!

Thespeakerdude8
12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
It is along highway 40 just west of indianapolis, its called west washington street ( same thing as highway 40) its just off of the 456 exit near the airport. I really hope someone picks it up, it needs work but it needs to be saved. I have some pics on my phone if I can get them on here.

EDIT:

Pics

http://getchellaudio.googlepages.com/12-09-08_1011.jpg
http://getchellaudio.googlepages.com/12-09-08_1012.jpg

Ampico-kid
12-10-2008, 11:24 PM
That looks like the "Winslow" model which is a CTC 9 set.

Phil Nelson
12-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Good Golly, Miss Molly -- the price is $5.99 ?!?

I spend more than that when my wife & I get coffees at Starbucks.

I would run, not walk.

Phil Nelson

Sandy G
12-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Cry, cry, whine, whine, whimper, whimper...SOMEBODY please save that bad boy...

Thespeakerdude8
12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Is this model particularly rare? I have no experience with tv's, nor do I really want to. I DON'T like voltages over 500v at ALL. Flybacks are not my thing, I got stung by one once! :tears:

I wouldn't have the know how to restore it or I would pick it up. :no:

Its been 3 days... I will go back today and check to see if its still there.

That big tube with the anode cap on the bottom left I assume is the vertical deflection amplifier? Anyways it is shot, getter turned white, not exactly sure if that is a bad sign for the picture tube or not. The back is off of it, and the umbilical is unplugged from the picture tube. I wonder if someone went in there with a picture tube tester to see if it was worth lugging home or not...:scratch2:

Sandy G
12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
VERY rare. 1950s color sets are "Hen's Teeth" category.

bgadow
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Any single digit CTC set is a super find-fifties models, didn't sell all that well when new-any round tube set is worth saving but a 7 or 9, certainly should be. Many of us would grab this in a heartbeat if it were in our neck of the woods.

Thespeakerdude8
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
It's still here and is indeed a CTC-9A but the finish is worn off the top and on one side the painted on wood green is coming off. It is very dusty but complete. The 6dq5 horizontal output is broken at the base. It is dirty but appears to be fully intact. All knobs are present. I don't know how to tell if the picture tube is good or not. It has an RCA colorama 21C1P22 picture tube. Serial number on the chassis b042221. The model is 210ck875. Phosphor on the screen appears to be in good shape. The speaker is in good shape and not torn. The tag was put on 12/05/08 so grab it quick.

sweitzel
12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Im guessing the address of the store is 5640 W Washington St
Indianapolis, IN 46241-2059 ?

http://www.goodwill-indy.org/Shop/locations.asp

I am in California so this is a little out of my reach, I hope someone can take it. This would make a really cool ongoing restoration thread for someone.

zenithfan1
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Yep, I agree Bryan, I would be there now if my truck wasn't broke. I can't afford to fix it now either. GRRRRR! If the cabinet is bad, I sure could use the parts at least. I'd be willing to bet it has the printed finish. It looks pretty messed up. That CRT would be worth it if it were good. Man, I wish I could go check this thing out myself. SOMEONE go get 'er out of that damn store!!! Hey If anything, Can you steal the color, tint and power/vol. knobs? HeHe. I can't find those to save my life. My 9 needs them in that color! I'd make it worth your while!

Thespeakerdude8
12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Last chance guys! yes it does have the printed finish, if it is there tomarrow I will buy it, but I cannot bring it home.:no: I will take whatever tubes I can out of it, the speaker, knobs anything else? I don't know if the CRT is good or not, looks to be but I don't have a tester to test it with. It will stay with the tv, I don't need one of those things bouncing in my trunk ready to implode. :thumbsdn:

Again, last call guys, its going to end up in their compactor soon so I guess better get parts now..:sigh:

kx250rider
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
If you buy it and rent a truck to get it home, I guarantee you that you can resell it, and have enough money to buy all the 6CG7s and 6AQ5s you want, plus pay the truck rental, plus pocket some Christmas $$$ :) Please don't allow it to be lost!

Charles

rcaman
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
i have the same set. it is a good performer when restored. steve

zenithfan1
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll take the whole chassis if you will ship, I can pay shipping. I also want the knobs and I wish you would save the CRT but that is up to you. They are pretty tough, I have yet to implode one. Pretty please!!!

Thespeakerdude8
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry guys :sigh:

I caught them today JUST as they were CARTING IT OUT THE DOOR to the bin! I stopped them, they wouldn't let me take it, mumbled something about policy...grr!!

Anyways, I asked them if I could just have 10 more minuites with her. I took the tubes out of it, they all tested good on my knight tester. I got the speaker ( perfect, one small tear) the emblems off the front and all the knobs. I would have taken the CRT but I could not get it out and they were getting impatient with me.

Goodwill really makes me mad sometimes. :sigh: What a shame! I will clean up the parts (knobs and emblems) as I do radio restorations, so when I am finished I will take pictures and see if anyone here wants them. I would be glad to send them if I am paid shipping :thmbsp:

On a brighter note: The thing was NASTY dirty inside, full of coal soot, spider eggs, and upon further look a rats nest. The fake painted on wood finish was peeling badly on both sides and the finish was gone on the top, and there was black oily residue on the chassis near the flyback. I don't want to know if that was PCB or not.

zenithfan1
12-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I want the emblems and knobs please, I will pay shipping. Thanks.

radio63
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I find it amazing no one bought this set for $5.99. Unfortunate. Well, maybe the surviving parts will help other CTC-9s out there.

Gilbert

Electrohome
12-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Moderators note: Political statements in any form are against the rules at AK, as is being generally disrespectful and rude. Further abuses of the rules here will result in suspension.

Please take the time to read the forum rules and follow them.

http://audiokarma.org/forumrules.html

zenithfan1
12-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey speakerdude, don't even bother cleaning the knobs, I can take care of that. Just pack 'em up. I'll give you my address and you can tell me where to send payment. Thanks a million.

zenithfan1
12-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree Electrohome, IF they only knew what that 21CYP22 was worth on ebay. People are idiots.

Electrohome
12-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hello, again to everyone on this forum-
I apologize for sounding very upset and like Hitler, but I have had some very bad experiences when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I know I am not usually sounding like an evil dictator here. It's just about protecting and preserving what's very important to us. I also have Asperger's Syndrome-a type of high-functioning autisim and watching The Rainman w/Tom Cruise and Dustan Hoffman I think will help a lot of our fellow and valued members here understand a lot more on what I suffer and have to deal with on a daily basis. I am sure some of you people on this forum may know people who are autistic as well.

Thespeakerdude8
12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm with ya man. Even the guy at goodwill wheeling it out to the dumpster was shaking his head. What a shame. I dont understand why people today in this throw away society dont knock two brain cells together of common sence to figure out that something is a peice of history. I always get the "why would you want that?" Or parting out a stereo console for the amp "why would you wanna do that?"

It makes me a little mad.

I did have a few elderly guys talk to me today when I walked into the goodwill with my tube tester. That was comical, I being a young'n, they all asked it I was donating it!

leadlike
12-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Well, maybe we should at least give credit to SA for even bothering to put out a nonworking TUBE tv anyway. It looked like a parts set anyway, and that's just what it still is. I'm just glad it's over, as the suspense was driving me crazy.

Phil Nelson
12-12-2008, 11:30 PM
It's a shame that set was lost. Makes no difference that it was dirty and the cabinet had boo-boos. I could teach a 12-year old how to cure those things.

The little tubes are generally common and not worth much, but it's nice that you saved them, if they test OK.

In hindsight, if there was anyone in the area willing to rescue the set (even for later resale), it might have worked the phone the store and ask them to hold onto the set for another day or two.

I wouldn't waste too much breath cussing out the people who work in thrift stores. They can't all be geniuses or electronics experts, and they don't make the rules. If somebody brought me a box full of dishes, with a couple of priceless pieces of china mixed in with 100 worthless pieces, I wouldn't have a clue.

The sad truth is, they priced that TV the same as a cup of expensive coffee, and still nobody bought it.

Oh, well . . . still a few more fish in the sea :-)

Phil

zenithfan1
12-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree Phil, It could have been restored. But at least he tried to save it, better than nothing. And hey, the knobs will live on being used on my 9.

Thespeakerdude8
12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
It's a shame that set was lost. Makes no difference that it was dirty and the cabinet had boo-boos. I could teach a 12-year old how to cure those things.

The little tubes are generally common and not worth much, but it's nice that you saved them, if they test OK.

In hindsight, if there was anyone in the area willing to rescue the set (even for later resale), it might have worked the phone the store and ask them to hold onto the set for another day or two.

I wouldn't waste too much breath cussing out the people who work in thrift stores. They can't all be geniuses or electronics experts, and they don't make the rules. If somebody brought me a box full of dishes, with a couple of priceless pieces of china mixed in with 100 worthless pieces, I wouldn't have a clue.

The sad truth is, they priced that TV the same as a cup of expensive coffee, and still nobody bought it.

Oh, well . . . still a few more fish in the sea :-)

Phil

I tried telling them to hang on to it for a few days because a lot of people from around the country were interested in it. Unfortunatly that was my first mistake as it alerted them to the fact that it had been sitting longer than the 3 days stuff is supposed to sit out before going to the bin. :tears: Their responce was: "well you better tell them to hurry up because its going to go soon." Whatever.

Cabinet stuff is not hard, but the faux painted on woodgrain would have been hard to duplicate. I have restored radios in far worse shape. I have a GE J-805 sitting in my room right now that was a trash heap when I got it from goodwill. Now the cabinet looks like a million bucks after a complete strip to bare wood, refinish, and 5 coats of poly. Its partially the reason I didn't bring the TV home, I have NO ROOM for more stuff! :no:

andy
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
---

Thespeakerdude8
12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
It was a distribution center. The stuff that sits at goodwill stores for months ends up at the distribution center where it is sold by the pound. Three days and its gone usually.

kx250rider
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
That's a shame, and nothing to do about it now, but at least the bright side is that the remaining ones are just this much more rare.

Charles

Adam
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, at least the knobs other bits were saved, I have more than enough sets missing knobs, control doors, etc.. to know that that kind of stuff is needed. Too bad the crt couldn't be saved, I think that used the 21AXP22, not exactly a common picture tube.

Occasionally something good appears at one of those larger thrift stores, but rarely. The smaller independent ones (especially if they're really junky) tend to be better. But once about 9 years ago when I first got into fixing old TVs and radios, I saw one of those Sparton radios in the blue glass cabinet at a Goodwill. They wanted $100 for it, which at the time (because I had no idea what they go for) I thought was way too high. I passed on it, and don't know what eventually happened to it.

zenithfan1
12-13-2008, 02:30 PM
CTC-9 used a 21CYP22, I think the last set to use the 21AX was the CTC-5 IIRC.

Adam
12-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I've never managed to find anything older than a CTC-10 myself, so I'm not really sure, but even the later round tubes, 21CYP22, 21FBP22, and 21FJP22 are not that easy to find a replacements for.

I just pulled out the schematics CTC 4-5 use the 21AXP22, CTC 7-10 use the 21CYP22.

zenithfan1
12-13-2008, 02:49 PM
21CYP22, 21FBP22, and 21FJP22 are not that easy to find a replacements for.

Ditto on that, It was a real shame. It could have been rebuilt if it were bad too.

zenithfan1
12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
You know, not all stroller people are bad. Not that I consider myself one of them. I do however, have two kids and a wife.:yes:

Thespeakerdude8
12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I, growing up in a sometimes less than fortunate family, remember shopping at goodwill when I was in a stroller when we were trying to get by. Good God, we ripped up that green carpet from our 1953 ranch. Why the hell would anyone want that in a house?! Beneath it was beautiful solid oak floors.

However, I do think you are right in saying that goodwill should put no tresspassing signs on the antique stuff that comes in :scratch2:

Zenith, I got a box this weekend and will ship it soon. I am sorry to say that the TV only had one center knob from the two side knobs, but the others are all there.

People have to get to these thrifts to find this stuff. I'm there all the time and either lurkers get the stuff before me :tears: or it goes in the trash before I get there. I have found a few tubed consoles for dirt cheap. One was a zenith that had a matched quad of Amperex 6BQ5's in it- $5 for that one :banana:

Thespeakerdude8
12-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Ditto on that, It was a real shame. It could have been rebuilt if it were bad too.

thanks for making me feel bad :sigh:

Just kidding, its a hunk of glass and metal worth less than $200, I guess if you put it in perspective. Then again, a Mc275 is a hunk of metal and other stuff worth just under $2.5k...:D

Thespeakerdude8
12-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I would rather the hardwood floors over the green carpet any day. I was just using that as a figure of speach.

Thank goodness! We might have to kick you out of this forum otherwise! :D Just kidding.

UGH! The fish tank thing! You know I have seen a LOT of craigs list ads on stereo consoles claiming "It would make a great entertainment stand and storage place if you throw out the internal electronics stuff." :stupid: YEEHAW!

Adam
12-13-2008, 08:11 PM
You guys think the fish tank thing is bad, check out the cat box thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195116&highlight=cat+litter

zenithfan1
12-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Um yeah.....Please don't get me started on that one. I snapped of those people on that forum.:D

bgadow
12-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I thought it was very unusual that they bothered to put it on the floor at all. I wish there was such a distribution center locally-maybe there are more real oddballs there? Stores vary quite a bit from place to place. I was in one Goodwill early in the week and they were swimming in 80s & newer tv sets; I stopped in the other local one today and they didn't have anything at all that was electronic.

One problem is that since this one didn't sell they are that much less likely to put the next one out.

Electrohome
12-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Hello, going from town to town to find TVs at different stores is just part of the fun finding these vintage TVs. It's like going to different auctions to bid on TVs or other antques and the price can be a really good deal for the buyer or it can be a good sell for the auctioneer which is a high price. It all depends on what auction you go to. I have found some great TVs at times.
It's a good thing at least that we can be proud of those early color roundies we did save for our collections and we will discover more in the future.

eberts
12-14-2008, 09:34 AM
I tried telling them to hang on to it for a few days because a lot of people from around the country were interested in it. Unfortunatly that was my first mistake as it alerted them to the fact that it had been sitting longer than the 3 days stuff is supposed to sit out before going to the bin. :tears: Their responce was: "well you better tell them to hurry up because its going to go soon." Whatever.

Why didn't you buy it ?
Money talks BS walks.
At least the old TV was buried with dignity in a trash bin, not torn apart by insideous scavengers. "The waiters"
Parasites who prefer waiting for death, than coughing up $5 for a worthy cause. Time is not on their side.

julianburke
12-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Last chance guys! yes it does have the printed finish, if it is there tomarrow I will buy it, but I cannot bring it home.:no: I will take whatever tubes I can out of it, the speaker, knobs anything else? I don't know if the CRT is good or not, looks to be but I don't have a tester to test it with. It will stay with the tv, I don't need one of those things bouncing in my trunk ready to implode. :thumbsdn:

Again, last call guys, its going to end up in their compactor soon so I guess better get parts now..:sigh:

Don't worry about it now, it went into the trash compactor. I sent a man out to get it and the wrong store address was given above and it was trashed the next morning. If only the right store address was given I would have had it. I also notice that several people are needing several parts from this specific set such as the cabinet for one. I sent a guy out that night to get it and they were closing at 9pm. No time to look for the other stores and he had to work the next day and couldn't do it next morning. Set lost forever because of the wrong address given in the post that was miles away. Sad part was he only lived less than 1 mile from the right store. Also give the phone number of the store as well to avoid this scenerio which would have been very easy too.

Thespeakerdude8
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Agh that SUCKS! I bet he went to the one on EAST washington street, 1/4 of a mile from the one on WEST washington :sigh:

Eberts, I already said I had no way to transport it, I did buy it, but I couldn't transport it. I called everyone I knew but they either weren't available or didnt answer. I got parts from it then it went to the bin.

eberts
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Agh that SUCKS! I bet he went to the one on EAST washington street, 1/4 of a mile from the one on WEST washington :sigh:

Eberts, I already said I had no way to transport it, I did buy it, but I couldn't transport it. I called everyone I knew but they either weren't available or didnt answer. I got parts from it then it went to the bin.

If you really bought it, and they tossed it in the container against your wishes, you have legal cause to sue.
However if you have friends that don't show up when you really need them......
I am still grieving about the tv lost, boo hoo.
"Group of nuts files lawsuit against Goodwill for emotional distress, seeking $100,000..."

pallophotophone
12-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey,
At least your goodwill will take a tube set. In Syracuse N.Y., they won't even let it on the truck. If it uses tubes they won't take it- period. No questions or exceptions.

Keep going back-you are bound to find something nice eventually ! And you might have an appropriate vehicle of your own to transport it by then.

Pallophotophone