View Full Version : Sony KV2101 Reactivation

Tomcomm
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
My next TV reactivation will be this 21in Sony trinatron, chassis # SCC-100D. I've got it's schematic dated 1976. It's my first non-roundi, bought new and uses a 570DB22 CRT.The all wood cabinet is in excellent condition so I want to get it operational. This strange crt has only an 8 pin socket with common G1s, G2s and G4s with R-Y, G-Y and B-Y video cathode driven! The 3 guns are arranged in line horizontal. Heaters are driven from a tap on the horizontal output transformer.

The red and blue screens are plenty bright but the green is invisible with the nominal 4.8vrms heater voltage. I am now running the heaters off a variac and fil xformer. At 6.3vrms, the green screen is barely visible and at 6.8vrms
the green comes up to a very wimpy level, totally no good for color bars. The heater filaments appear slightly less bright than my other color crts. I run my 25in Magnavox at 8vrms with a booster, is this trinatron rated at 6.3vrms like other crts? Can it go to 8vrms and expect some lifetime?? Can trinatrons be rejuvenated, if so what is the procedure?

This Sony 570DB22 is listed new for $400 on Video Display Corp, so I've got to find a used one, maybe from a 21in Sony computer monitor, any suggestions?

andy
11-30-2008, 02:30 PM

radiotvnut
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
That must be a rare set. I didn't think Sony made anything larger than 17" before the very late '70's. I have rejuvenated older Sony's with varying results. Some took, some didn't. Some of the ones that took lasted and others fell off in a short time. I always used a B&K model 480 to rejuvenate my CRT's. If you attempt to rejuvenate this tube, do it on a more modern tester like a B&K 467, 470, 480, or 490 or one of the later Sencore models. The older testers will often do more harm than good as far as rejuvenation goes.

kx250rider
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I bet you can still get that tube rebuilt from VDC or Hawkeye... Those are rare, but not impossible to find. The remote version of that TV (KV-2141R) was fairly common.

Charles

freakaftr8
12-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Hey I had that same exact model in my mothers basement in Michigan when I was a kid!! That set had a kickin picture too! The crt started to become weak at some point, (probably from all the Nintendo days), lol, I remember the red gun going south, it would come back every once in a while but soon nosedived and the blue went with it and got the usual trinitron green with red blothes where whites should be. And my mom tossed it! I was mad and thought I could repair it when I was like 10 years old..

Tomcomm
12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I decided to get a Sencore CT 70 on Ebay to attempt a trinitron restore. Got it for $149 "Buy Now" after losing an auction for $180 by $2.30 and 30 seconds! It arrived in perfect condition, 100% complete. I restored my 25in Magnavox delta-gun and brought it to midscale GOOD on Auto Restore only as a learning experience. Very impressive instrument!

I got the trinitron red and blue to midscale GOOD but could absolutely get no meter movement on cutoff or emission. Tried auto, manual 1 and 2 and even the Rejuvenation last-ditch blaster, no response. I know I have some green emission since the Sony will display a green bar very dimly but I can't get it to register even the slightest beam current on the CT 70. Probably below the meter threshold? BTW, the CT 70 runs the filament to 12.7 vrms during all restores! Very scary, they're bright yellow for about 40 seconds.

Since there is no availiable 570DB22 crts, I'm taking the Sony KV 2101 to the dump next week, I need the room........

Just kidding, It'll slide it under the bench with my other failed projects.....Tom

radiotvnut
12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I've never owned one; but, I've heard very good things about the CR70. I think they cost well over a grand back in the mid '90's. If you really tossed that set, you'd find a good tube next week. Been there, done that!

Tomcomm
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I found a Sony KV2145R on GL. The guy says its got a bright picture and good sound. Charles said the Sony KV2141R was the remote version of my KV2101. Maybe the GL KV2145R uses the same 570DB22 CRT as mine? Hey, for $35 its worth a try. Anyone know anything about the KV 2145R?........Tom

Tomcomm
01-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I picked it up Saturday and started playing with it Sunday. All 3 screws holding the back were on tight and when I pulled the back off, the main board was covered with so much dust I couldn't see any circuit board components! I truly believe I was the first guy into this TV since it left the factory in April, 1982! After the usual optimization of the user controls the '82 KV2145R produced one of the best non combfiltered picture I have ever seen, rivaling my '54 RCA 21CT55 roundie! I could never bring myself to cannibalize this great, early Sony. It had to stay operational and reside in my lab alongside the RCA 21CT55. Sadly, my Sony KV 2101 would have to go back under the bench and wait for another CRT donor.

The KV 2145R's CRT was a 570JB22, which was 2 trinitron versions newer than the 570DB22 in my '75 KV2101, uses same pin out and assumed to be interchangeable? Both CRTs had their yoke, purity.conversion and numerous magnetic parts epoxied on their CRT's neck and bell. Any thought of changing the CRT seems very heroic and much too time consuming even if a suitable donor was found..........Tom

bgadow
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Those Sony's aren't teaching that RCA anything! Amazing!

colorfixer
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
The PVM sure is giving the RCA a run for its money tho'
:thmbsp:

Duane
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Your test patterns are taken from the new VE disc. Joe Kane,the originator of ISF and several versions of the VE DVD test discs (and A Video Standard/VE LD) is pictured in the background on picture 4.