View Full Version : '89 JVC smokes '06 WEGA

karmaman
11-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I have a confession.

I think your guys's hatred for modern TV's and WEGA sets is starting to infect me.

My girlfriend and I went over to Tyler's house on Halloween (Tyler is a friend from school). I'll leave out all the details of the pretty fun night we had for time's sake, but the first thing I noticed upon walking in his room is that he had a WEGA set. A 20 incher from '06. We went out trick or treating, had some pizza, etc. etc... then a few hours later we came back. That's when Tyler went "You guys wanna play some guitar hero?".

I've gotta confess, I'd been wondering about that WEGA all night. Now I was gonna get to see how it performed. Sweet!

We turned on the 360 and the WEGA. That's when what little respect I had for the Sony of today (as compared to Sony in the 80's and the 90's) went down the drain. The set looked HORRIBLE. All the bright objects in the image looked overly bright and everything else was sorta dull-looking. The focus was bad at the edges. The geometry could have been better, the image was slightly off center and leaned towards the right plus everything kinda sloped up on the right side of the display a little. HV regulation was BAD. Bright objects made the picture shrink and then come back to regular size the worst I've ever seen on any set. The contrast was pretty bad too, blacks looked pretty dull and not very dark. But the main offender:

The convergence. It was BAD at the edges. So bad in fact that at first I wondered if it was sort of an intended effect of the game, but it wasn't. Convergence was fine in the middle, but just absolutely HORRIBLE at the edges. This set was bad. In fact, the whole time we played guitar hero, I was thinking to myself "my JVC could stick this WEGA in a pipe and smoke it". But I was willing to cut the WEGA some slack. I thought that maybe the game was contributing to the problems.

Well today Tyler came over and he brought his xbox. We hooked it up to my '89 JVC, that I got used and in need of repair from my aunt who got it from a friend who bought it off somebody many many moons ago, and which has very slight bleeding on red and blue when there are a lot of bright solid colors being displayed, and we hooked it up through a modulator because my JVC doesn't have AV inputs.

My goodness.

My busted old JVC, being fed composite RCA through a modulator and with 19 year old caps, completely slaughtered the 2 year old WEGA:yes:. The image looked great, with perfect convergence. Incredible contrast. Geometry was spot-on. Bright, vivid colors. Very good HV regulation. In fact, the bleeding problem didn't show up even once (it rarely does). The image was eye-catching. Even Desiree said "I know this is gonna sound weird but that tv looks really good".

I thought I understood what AK was all about before, but I understand even better now. Seeing an '89 TV that has seen better days completely trump a brand new Sony is both pitiful and inspiring at the same time. Anyone else have any horror stories about WEGAs?

Kiwick
11-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm finding a lot of them lately, usually scrapped due to bad capacitors but not worth fixing as they always have a crappy CRT, they're JUNK that belongs in a landfill! not even worth the effort of lifting them off the curb

jpdylon
11-26-2008, 09:09 AM
The eary wega sets were great performers when calibrated properly. The last of the CRT WEGAs were not as good - and definitely not as reliable. IMO, about 2004 is the cutoff date for the good ones.

WIth some persistence in the service menu and the right calibration disc you can still make them look pretty damn good.