View Full Version : Coal Miner's Daughter: Who can ID these TV's

jasonlava
06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
A few screenshots from the movie Coal Miner's Daughter.

I can't recognize the first 2 but I know the 3rd one is a late 70s Zenith.

The time period should be early 60s but considering Patsy Cline died in 1961, and she's in the 2nd scene, those televisions might not be correct for the time period.

jasonlava
06-01-2004, 12:30 PM
#2 Patsy & Loretta

jasonlava
06-01-2004, 12:32 PM

jasonlava
06-01-2004, 12:34 PM
#3 Late 70s Zenith.

PUNK ROCK DUDE
06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, I suck at trivia but I'll give it a shot. I am going to guess TV number one is a tube type color Motorola. Think there was a thread here on AK not too long ago with one of them. Number two I'm a little more sure of. Looks like a tube type RCA color. Maybe about a CTC38. Believe drh has showed off one or two of them here on AK. If anyone knows when rectangle color sets came out might be able to narrow it down some.

jasonlava
06-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by PUNK ROCK DUDE
Well, I suck at trivia but I'll give it a shot. I am going to guess TV number one is a tube type color Motorola. Think there was a thread here on AK not too long ago with one of them. Number two I'm a little more sure of. Looks like a tube type RCA color. Maybe about a CTC38. Believe drh has showed off one or two of them here on AK. If anyone knows when rectangle color sets came out might be able to narrow it down some.

From what I can tell, rectangular sets weren't out until 1964 or so. Motorola was the first to push the rectangular screens. The first two scenes took place before 1961 so there should've been either a B&W or a roundie sitting there.

The 2nd one does look like an RCA with the tilt-out control panel.

The 3rd scene takes place in 1968 (according to the song she was singing on the TV) so that Zenith isn't correct either.

But it was still entertaining to see those old sets, and especially to see the (relatively new at the time) Zenith actually operating.

Carmine
06-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Number 1 might be a Zenith B&W, as I remember a few with the volume knob between the tuners.

Number 2 is definately a RCA

Number 3 is a Zenith from about '77

Tony V
06-01-2004, 11:51 PM
TV number one is a 1962 RCA New Vista b/w set. I only know this as i have the same set in a mahogony finish. The knobs are the same as my CTC-12 roundie. It seems that its the only one thats even close to the time frame when the movie was to have taken place. The sets used in the Patsy Cline movie "Sweet Dreams" are closer to the time frame than the ones in "Coal Miners Daughter" were.
Tony