View Full Version : Found Photos taken in 1964 live off roundie

John Hafer
11-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

In going through some old slides, I found these that I took back in 1964. These were taken off our 1963 Silvertone 21" roundie during a color broadcast of an NBC quiz show. They were taken with Anscochrome slide film and I processed the film myself in my old darkroom. I am sure there is some fading from these old slides but I wanted to share them with you.

spartanmanor
11-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Great slides! Thanks for sharing.

electroking
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing them with us. The one from a commercial
looks very monochrome, could be a B&W ad, I suppose.

bgadow
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
A time capsule! I enjoy seeing those.

A distant relative of my wife was sharing a video transfer of an old 8mm film taken c.1961. There were numerous shots of their color roundie (looked like an RCA CTC-11) including Bonanza, the Tonight Show, the peacock, etc. They were obviously very proud of it. I noticed in some other scenes there was a bw portable sitting on top; my impression was that the color set was on the blink.

zenith2134
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that bit of history. :thmbsp:

zenithfan1
11-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Neat! Thanks for sharing! What ever happened to the Silvertone?

firenzeprima
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
infinite thanks for having published these very interesting photos! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

old_tv_nut
11-19-2008, 01:59 PM
These are great!

I was hoping the decoration on the floor might be the same as shown in the Playboy ad shown in http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187536, but it's different.

Now to bug you with some questions:
1) Do you know what show this was?
2) Do you have the capability to color correct the slide fading? I will happily volunteer to do them in Photoshop.

Aussie Bloke
11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures, it's fantastic to see photos of colour sets in action from the 50s and 60s and those images are of awesome quality. I've downloaded your slide pics and have done an auto equalization job on them in Corel Photopaint and the colour has really come out good. Here they are:

John Hafer
11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Glad you all like the pictures. Anyone can do anything they wish with them. Aussie, your color corrections are great, thank you!

As to what the show was, I can't remember other than it was in the late weekday morning on NBC.

As to what happened to our old 21" Silvertone, well, this was the best color TV we ever had. My parents bought it for Christmas in 1963 from Sears, who said back then, it was really made by RCA. (Not sure if that was true or not but it had the same controls as an RCA). At any rate, the set was delivered on a Monday and the first color show I saw on it was the quiz show, 'You Don't Say' at 3:30 EST. Later that night, I watched 'Wagon Train' in color on ABC, then 'Sing Along With Mitch' and the Tonight Show both in color on NBC. A technician came the following day to "set-up" the set, - align the guns and adjust the purity etc. The set had the best color I had ever seen and even outdid and outlasted a 1967 Zenith 19" square tube set we bought in 1967. Sadly to say that in 1997, with the set still running great, it was carted off to the junk man since we had a newer 25" color set. I know, what a waste since the set still worked great. If I knen then what I know now!

Sandy G
11-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow !! Kewl pics ! Dig the brush haircut & the skinny tie on that one dude-that REALLY screams "Early '60s"...(grin)

old_tv_nut
11-19-2008, 04:06 PM
John, what city was this in?

wajobu
11-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Truth or Consequences, I believe, perhaps?!

John Hafer
11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Old TV Nut, these were taken off WSYR-TV Ch. 3 in Syracuse New York, back in the winter of 1964. I believe WSYR-TV ch. 3 is now called WSTM-TV. WSYR-TV ch. 9, the current ABC affiliate in Syracuse in not the same station.

wa2ise
11-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Old TV Nut, these were taken off WSYR-TV Ch. 3 in Syracuse New York

I went to Syracuse University and graduated 1978 BSEE, and back then there was only 4 broadcast stations in town, 3 VHF (WSYR one of them) and 1 UHF (the educational PBS outlet). Seemed rather sparse compared to New York City. Local TV news sports segments would report on high school football (in New York City they never did that!). And back then the local NBC channel didn't carry Saturday Night Live (must have been too risqué for them...

There was a small college CATV system "Synapse" back then, but my dorm wasn't on it (seemed that they'd have to route the cable underground along a steam tunnel or such, and that would violate some silly law about franchises or such (and they used to worry about silliness like that then). Not that it mattered that much, it would have only fed one TV in a main lounge in the entire dorm anyway. And the extra channels were just some bad locally produced programs from the local broadcast journalism school, a division of SU. Just as well that TV in Syracuse was boring, I spent the time studying anyway.

During my senior year, someone on campus put up a pirate TV station one weekend on channel 7, called "Lucky 7". A brief mention of this made the New York Times, possibly the first pirate TV station ever done. Local paper said they built the transmitter from parts from an old guitar amp (the output tubes probably would work well on VHF). This was back when VCRs first hit the market, and some of the shows were Star trek shows and such. Also some material that wouldn't meet FCC decency rules...

drh4683
11-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Neat pictures. Is that Bob barker in the last photo? Looks kind of like him.

Skinny ties are the best. They never should have gone out of style. Wearing one these days provokes one to comment on it who isn't in our "click" at work. "you look like you came out of 1965 wearing that". haha. Other engineers at work are basically the same, everyone else thinks we're total nerds (basically any non-engineer). We just tell them to go back to their rectangular prisons. (If you're a math nerd and analytical, you'll get that stupid joke right away.)

zenithfan1
11-19-2008, 07:51 PM

Skinny ties are the best. They never should have gone out of style. Wearing one these days provokes one to comment on it who isn't in our "click" at work. "you look like you came out of 1965 wearing that". haha. Other engineers at work are basically the same, everyone else thinks we're total nerds (basically any non-engineer). We just tell them to go back to their rectangular prisons. (If you're a math nerd and analytical, you'll get that stupid joke right away.)

LOL. I get it, that's funny. Cubicles suck!

Jeffhs
11-19-2008, 09:08 PM
This thread really takes me back. I can remember when NBC had game shows on almost all morning after nine, and yes, one of them was "You Don't Say!" hosted by Tom Kennedy. Another was "Concentration" hosted by Hugh Downs, also an NBC show in the '60s, a third was the original "Jeopardy!" with Art Fleming...and the list goes on.

Another of my favorites in the 70s, which is now in reruns on the Game Show Network (GSN), which I watch every afternoon, was "Card Sharks" hosted by Jim Perry. I like hearing his acknowledgement of the author of the show's opening poem, where the person is from and on what station he or she is watching the program.

Why NBC decided to drop these wonderful game shows is beyond me, especially since ABC and CBS are still running the new "Price is Right" and others, and the shows are holding up well in the ratings.

"The Hollywood Squares" with Peter Marshall was another of my favorite game shows of the seventies. I'll never forget the time, on one of the programs (don't recall what year), the lights burned out behind one of the X and O indicators in front of the desks the stars were sitting at (for want of a better phrase), or else something went wrong with the control circuits and the bulbs wouldn't illuminate. They had whomever was sitting at that desk write the letters "X" and "O" on a sheet of paper and attach it to the front of the indicator. Another time I remember watching the original "Price is Right" with Bill Cullen and the price indicator in front of one of the stars' positions either went crazy, showing random numbers, or burned out during the program--while the show was on the air! I haven't seen anything like that since.

Ah, memories. Television will never be the same again, even with the prime-time and syndicated game shows now on the networks. The golden age of televised game shows was and will always be, to me, anyway, the years all three networks ran these programs, years (decades) before syndication. I think NBC dropped all their game shows not long after the network was sold to GE from RCA. The prime-time and syndicated game shows now seen on NBC stations cannot match that great lineup of such programs on the network from the 1950s through the '80s. :no:

Oldstuff78
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM

I think the skinny ties are cool. I dress kind of retro and don't care. I have an old 1965 Rick Nelson Album where he is wearing a black and white check houndstooth sportcoat. I also saw the same sportcoat worn by one of the guys in that old 1961 film, Gidget Goes Hawaiian. I made a comment to myself that I wish those would come back in style. Several months later one turned up in a catalog. I flipped and ordered it. I had to go to a business lunch and wondered what others might think of my jacket. I wore it and everybody liked it and kept coming up and looking at it. I also wear slip on loafers, tortoise shell Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses, and vintage 1960's wristwatches. Retro Rocks. Screw their opinions :D

Tony V
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
That is too cool! Thanks for sharing!
-Tony

frenchy
11-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Yup looks loke Bob Barker, maybe it IS Truth or Consequences but the set looks more like a standard game show with maybe contestants or celebrities (?)

Sandy G
11-20-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm not makin' fun of skinny ties-Hell, they're a LOT easier to tie than the clown-width ones of the '70s.

Aussie Bloke
11-20-2008, 05:56 AM

Skinny black leather ties were very fashionable in the mid/late 1980s as well (at least in Australia anyways), here's an example of late 80s fashion http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EFiCzg4FevA , the clip is also very funny too:lmao: .

batterymaker
11-20-2008, 07:28 AM

I dunno--kinda favors Tom Kennedy.

ChrisW6ATV
11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice pictures.

Do you suppose people in 20 years will miss all of the courtroom shows that are on today? I always liked game shows, too. "The Joker's Wild" was one of my favorites. Does anyone here remember "The Magnificent Marble Machine" with the giant pinball machine?

Duane
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
This thread really takes me back. I can remember when NBC had game shows on almost all morning after nine, and yes, one of them was "You Don't Say!" hosted by Tom Kennedy. Another was "Concentration" hosted by Hugh Downs, also an NBC show in the '60s, a third was the original "Jeopardy!" with Art Fleming...and the list goes on.

Another of my favorites in the 70s, which is now in reruns on the Game Show Network (GSN), which I watch every afternoon, was "Card Sharks" hosted by Jim Perry. I like hearing his acknowledgement of the author of the show's opening poem, where the person is from and on what station he or she is watching the program.

Why NBC decided to drop these wonderful game shows is beyond me, especially since ABC and CBS are still running the new "Price is Right" and others, and the shows are holding up well in the ratings.

"The Hollywood Squares" with Peter Marshall was another of my favorite game shows of the seventies. I'll never forget the time, on one of the programs (don't recall what year), the lights burned out behind one of the X and O indicators in front of the desks the stars were sitting at (for want of a better phrase), or else something went wrong with the control circuits and the bulbs wouldn't illuminate. They had whomever was sitting at that desk write the letters "X" and "O" on a sheet of paper and attach it to the front of the indicator. Another time I remember watching the original "Price is Right" with Bill Cullen and the price indicator in front of one of the stars' positions either went crazy, showing random numbers, or burned out during the program--while the show was on the air! I haven't seen anything like that since.

Ah, memories. Television will never be the same again, even with the prime-time and syndicated game shows now on the networks. The golden age of televised game shows was and will always be, to me, anyway, the years all three networks ran these programs, years (decades) before syndication. I think NBC dropped all their game shows not long after the network was sold to GE from RCA. The prime-time and syndicated game shows now seen on NBC stations cannot match that great lineup of such programs on the network from the 1950s through the '80s. :no:

You hit a homerun with your statement,Jeff.I think a lot of it had to do with 'live tv" back in the 50's and into the 60's. One of my favorite game shows was "What's My Line".

bgadow
11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
A little studying shows that 'You Don't Say' with Tom Kennedy started in NBC daytime in '64 but my books don't give a time slot.

Findm-Keepm
11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
.... started in NBC daytime in '64 but my books don't give a time slot.

I started in '64, and yes, it was daytime....

Great photos - makes us "young 'uns" jealous of those who can remember when Color TV was new......

Cheers,

Robert Grant
11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=John Hafer;2259358]Hi all,

In going through some old slides, I found these that I took back in 1964. These were taken off our 1963 Silvertone 21" roundie during a color broadcast of an NBC quiz show. They were taken with Anscochrome slide film and I processed the film myself in my old darkroom. I am sure there is some fading from these old slides but I wanted to share them with you.

True, Anscochrome was not known for image permanence as Kodachrome was, but much of the color shift is likely due to using a daylight film (balanced for roughly 6000K) for CRT recording (most CRT's are set for about 9300K).

I took screen shots off a CTC-38 for the first Columbia Space Shuttle mission, quite bluish when new.

Rob

compucat
11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I took screen shots off a CTC-38 for the first Columbia Space Shuttle mission, quite bluish when new.

Rob[/QUOTE]

When I take screen shots of my Zenith roundie with my digital camera they always turn out blue. Maybe a different white balance would help.

NowhereMan 1966
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice pictures.

Do you suppose people in 20 years will miss all of the courtroom shows that are on today? I always liked game shows, too. "The Joker's Wild" was one of my favorites. Does anyone here remember "The Magnificent Marble Machine" with the giant pinball machine?

I think I do remember that one, I'm trying to picture it in my mind.

bozey45
11-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Someone mentioned Bill Cullen on the original "The Price is Right." I remember that when they needed a closeup of something on that show Cullen would tell the cameraman to "come on in with that big RCA color camera and get a closeup of this ring, jack" (or whatever the name would be) and you'd see at least the first third of the TK-41 roll in to get the close shot. Being interested in this stuff I always loved to see that.