View Full Version : What is it??

Ampico-kid
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I just came across this B&W set in my travels and the only information I have on it is the name "Kent Custom Craft".

I'm wondering if that company made this unit, or maybe only the cabinet? It looks almost like a custom cabinet done in a Chinese motif.

Does anyony recognize the name or the unit itself? You don't see too many sets with the controls arranged vertically.

Thanks.
Bob.

stromberg6
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi: Our museum in Windsor CT has an identical set! It was donated by a woman who bought it new as a gift to her parents in the early '50's. She earned the money babysitting, and doing other jobs. I dis-assembled it after we moved it, and found that is of good construction. The only reference I could find was in a Rider manual, but it was not that exact chassis. Pretty straightforward circuits, using common components. If the transformers and esoteric parts are ok it should be fixable.
The set was built by a company in Brooklyn NY, and was sold in "select" stores, hence the name on the cabinet.
Our set has a CRT that has gone to air, and the cabinet is a bit rough, but it is otherwise intact, and very restorable.
Did you get it? If so, I can try to find the manual again. Our museum is in a state of "flux", and there is currently no bench on which to wrench on TV's, so ours won't be worked on soon. A color RCA CTC-9 is next in line!
Kevin

Ampico-kid
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi: Our museum in Windsor CT has an identical set! It was donated by a woman who bought it new as a gift to her parents in the early '50's. She earned the money babysitting, and doing other jobs. I dis-assembled it after we moved it, and found that is of good construction. The only reference I could find was in a Rider manual, but it was not that exact chassis. Pretty straightforward circuits, using common components. If the transformers and esoteric parts are ok it should be fixable.
The set was built by a company in Brooklyn NY, and was sold in "select" stores, hence the name on the cabinet.
Our set has a CRT that has gone to air, and the cabinet is a bit rough, but it is otherwise intact, and very restorable.
Did you get it? If so, I can try to find the manual again. Our museum is in a state of "flux", and there is currently no bench on which to wrench on TV's, so ours won't be worked on soon. A color RCA CTC-9 is next in line!
Kevin

Hi Kevin;
No I haven't gotten the set yet. I didn't know just what it was and wanted to do a little leg work first before taking the plunge.

Sounds interesting.....must have been a fairly small operation as I've never seen or heard the name before. I wonder if the chassis design was based on one of the "biggies" of the day, or if it was a completely independant design?

It would be interesting to have a set that was engineered and built by one of the little guys.

Thanks for the information.
Bob.

radotvguy
11-11-2008, 06:46 AM
never heard of that set , maybe a rare set ????/

kx250rider
11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I think it's a re-cabinet. A 630 chassis, and probably was a 10" 630TS originally. As in another thread on this subject, there were companies who bought trade-in small screen TVs in the early 50s, modified the deflection circuits, and put them in a new cabinet with a large tube.

Could also be a small-time manufacturer who bought generic 630 license chasses and built the cabinets.

Charles

bgadow
11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
A quick look at the chassis would answer that, since the 630 was physically unique. Apparently they mounted the chassis vertical, if that is a 630.

kx250rider
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
A quick look at the chassis would answer that, since the 630 was physically unique. Apparently they mounted the chassis vertical, if that is a 630.

Hoffman mounted their 630-based chassis vertically. Only difference was that they reconfigured the metal wing that holds the vertical/horizontal and brightness pots.

Charles

Ampico-kid
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Looks like the "experts" have come through once again.

I saw a photo of the chassis of this "Kent Custom Craft" set and it sure does look like a 630. And looking at the controls on the front of the set they're all in just the right position for a 630 chassis. I guess that clears up this mystery.

I'd guess that these "re-cabinet" type sets have little value. Probably even less than their name brand counterparts.

Thanks for the information.....
Bob.