View Full Version : Found my first Color set!

Eric H
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
This has been at the Thrift Store a few blocks from my house for the last three weeks or so, I finally decided to get it.

This model was the very first brand new color set I ever bought, it must have been 1979, it cost me $400 which was a ton of money for me then.

I sold mine in 1989 at a yard sale, who knows, this could be the same set, wouldn't that be weird! doubtful but I only lived about 20 miles from where I'm at now, I need to see if I have my receipt and check the serial number.

My set only had one repair during the time I had it (other than a convergence touch up right out of the box) the damper? cap and HOT were replaced, this was a common failure on this model, a friend did the work so it only cost me for parts.

Eric H
11-05-2008, 01:33 PM
The caps are original, therefore not my set, well I didn't really expect it to be but it would've been neat if it was. :yes:

zenithfan1
11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice! It's always cool to find things like that, brings back a lot of memories. Good luck getting it all cleaned up and working properly.

rcaman
11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
i fixed a bunch of those. and they did have an excellent picture on them. i have 2 or3 simular sets. steve

radiotvnut
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I have not worked on one of these in ages! The ones I had always had a nice picture. Were you lucky enough for the set to still have the GE "mini-manual" in the compartment on the back cover?

Eric H
11-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Were you lucky enough for the set to still have the GE "mini-manual" in the compartment on the back cover?

No darn it, the cover and manual are gone. No date either, I think it was stuck on the back of that cover.

They had a very nice picture, it was advertised as having full DC restoration which I liked. The black levels were excellent.

radiotvnut
11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
No darn it, the cover and manual are gone. No date either, I think it was stuck on the back of that cover.

They had a very nice picture, it was advertised as having full DC restoration which I liked. The black levels were excellent.

I'd say '78 or '79. I think the "EC" chassis came out in '80. Be glad you didn't get one of those.

zenith2134
11-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I like that GE. And yep, always great to bring some memories back with your first TV! I sold my first at a "yardie" too :D But it was nowhere near as nice--mine was an '81 Samsung 13" color with remote that I inherited from my mom. Got 20 bucks for it in '97.

Hey radiotvnut, was the EC chassis the one with all the bad griplet type connections? If so, I'd throw it right out :yes:

radiotvnut
11-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I like that GE. And yep, always great to bring some memories back with your first TV! I sold my first at a "yardie" too :D But it was nowhere near as nice--mine was an '81 Samsung 13" color with remote that I inherited from my mom. Got 20 bucks for it in '97.

Hey radiotvnut, was the EC chassis the one with all the bad griplet type connections? If so, I'd throw it right out :yes:

Yes, the EC was full of bad connections and was a PITA to work on. In case you'd like to see what the chassis looks like, check out this thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185290

zenith2134
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Yep, forgot about that thread! The infamous GE disaster chassis.

Eric H
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
This one is a YC chassis.

Hooked up a DVD player tonight and took some screen shots.
Not the best because it's still sitting in the bed of my truck.

radiotvnut
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Not bad for a 30 year old TV. I've fixed several YC and YA chassis modular sets back in the early to mid '90's. Most just needed simple repairs. Then the disaster EC (my set) chassis came out. The best thing you can do with one of those is use it for target practice. The chassis after that, the PC chassis, was a single board chassis and was GE's final chassis before giving up the TV business. The main trouble the PC chassis gave was bad caps in the vertical and power supply circuits. Otherwise, this was a reliable chassis. I still find PC chassis sets and they still make a good picture, provided the CRT is good.

Findm-Keepm
11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Not bad for a 30 year old TV. The chassis after that, the PC chassis, was a single board chassis and was GE's final chassis before giving up the TV business. The main trouble the PC chassis gave was bad caps in the vertical and power supply circuits.

Ah, yes, C621, a 100uF at 50V cap - we used to replace them with 100v, 105 degree caps, and never saw one come back. You could quote the estimate to the penny on PC chassis sets that came in with the vertical shrunk down.

BTW, the 13PF was the last chassis GE produced at the Portsmouth plant - it's a PC chassis clone, with some minor upgrades. The 19PC and 19PF chassis were twins - they even share the same SAMS folder.

Cheers,