View Full Version : Homemade Mini-roundie

Hemingray
10-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Probably only belongs here since it is technically both Black & white, and a roundie ;)

Made by a 13y/o kid using an old 80s camcorder viewfinder display.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Googfan_s-Mini-TV/

JB5pro
10-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I bet he goes on to special things in life. I hope the radiation exposure doesn't hurt him. I guess that unit is small enough to be somewhat harmless.

ha1156w
10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about radiation with a viewfinder crt. After all, it's probably one of the lowest B+ voltages needed due to the tiny size, and it *was* made to go very close to the eye by design. There is minimal if any shielding inside the viewfinders of those things.

Jeffhs
11-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I remember seeing a prototype Motorola 1" TV in Popular Electronics magazine about 40 years ago, and yes, they were designed to be held up to one eye to see the picture. The set used the earphone cord as the antenna and was powered, IIRC, by four AA batteries.

The young man who designed and built the small set being discussed here is indeed an intelligent fellow for his age--unusually so. I was working on old TVs when I was 13, in 1969, but I didn't know nearly enough to design a small set such as this. The designer of the small roundie shown here may well get through high school early, perhaps skipping a grade or two, and wind up graduating college by the time he is 17....it wouldn't surprise me, anyway.